User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bollovox
(regular) Fri 21-Jan-11 21:09:18
Print Post

Terrible Speeds on ADSL+2

[link to this post]

I am having terrible early evening speeds on ADSL+2 for the past few days. They only pick up after midnight to give me my full 15mb speed. At the moment its the equvalent of a 1.5mb line. I never got speeds this low on normal ADSL. Anyone know whats going on? I've emailed support but I doubt I'll get a response until Monday.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jan-11 22:39:36
Print Post

Re: Terrible Speeds on ADSL+2

[re: bollovox] [link to this post]

No view can be taken w/out router stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User bollovox
(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 01:02:55
Print Post

Download Connection 16549 and a noise margin of 6.0. Slowly creeping up but is still only 4.5mb downloading when its normally around 14mb. No idea whats going on with it.

Edit, now backup to its usual speeds. So this is post 1am after a night of 1.5mb connection speeds, its now backup to a 14mb connection. Is there throttling going on somewhere?

Edited by bollovox (Sat 22-Jan-11 01:09:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bollovox
(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 17:13:10
Print Post

Yep back to terribly slow again. I am getting a speed that is approx 6 times slower during day and evening and back to full after 1am. What the hell is going on!

Edited by bollovox (Sat 22-Jan-11 17:13:41)

Standard User bubieyehyeh
(member) Sat 22-Jan-11 18:30:52
Print Post

Sounds like it may be a BT problem I would contact support on Monday, then can check and then give BT a kick if needed
Standard User bollovox
(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 19:04:44
Print Post

[re: bubieyehyeh] [link to this post]

Yep it does sound like something BT are doing. Shall have to wait until Monday. I said previously it was 6 times slower, more like 8 times slower. So download speeds that are less than a 2.5mb connection.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 22-Jan-11 20:02:57
Print Post

I've been tossing up whether to go with BE or AAISP for a new property I have moved into (turns out Virgin can't supply their 50Mb service, even though I'm in a cable enabled area - how ingenious is that?)

Anyway, I have been looking at AAISP offerings and may well opt to go with them, on 21CN. However, this is obviously using BT kit so if it turns out to be slow (just like you are experiencing) and they narrow this down to virtual-path congestion issues on BT's side, they have kindly informed me that for a pound admin charge, they could switch my line onto the BE back-haul network, thus by-passing BT altogether, which would probably improve things dramatically. Downside is the monthly cost then increases by another 10 pounds a month (but you can download more per month).

So, long and short if this is, determine what's causing the slowness (I suspect it's BT, but AA will be able to tell you for sure). Then determine if BE are in your area. If they are, and you are willing to pay a bit more per month, get AA to move you to the BE back-haul network.

Now on Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable)
Was with Be* Un Limited and before that ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Sat 22-Jan-11 20:08:32)

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Sat 22-Jan-11 20:59:37
Print Post

HI bollovox,
Do email/phone us, and we'll look in to this - include this forum post's URL...
We can compare your line with others on the Exchange/RAS and may see patterns and will then progress this with BT etc...

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aaisp.net.uk support@aaisp.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bollovox
(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 21:31:07
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Sent an email about the problem including the forums post url. Seems like the connection is being limited during evenings and only upto full speed after 1am. I think its been happening for a few days now.
Standard User bollovox
(regular) Mon 24-Jan-11 19:06:27
Print Post

Problems getting worse. I am getting speeds 17 times slower than I normally would. Emailed AAISP with the speedtest results and await their reply.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 709 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is -
31.85:29.02:39.13 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal
BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

This from another speedchecker.
Download Speed: 653 kbps (81.6 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 388 kbps (48.5 KB/sec )
Normally I get around 1700 KB/sec. It reurns to this speed after midnight.

Edited by bollovox (Mon 24-Jan-11 19:11:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to