User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dethadol
(regular) Fri 04-Mar-11 16:19:00
Print Post

Ip Address

[link to this post]

A WHOIS lookup on my IP address reveals (amongst other things) a netname which is actually my first and surnames.

Is it possible to change this to something more anonymous?
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Mar-11 17:20:27
Print Post

Re: Ip Address

[re: dethadol] [link to this post]

You're lucky, some sites have managed to associate my IP with a location to within a square mile of my house. I still have no idea how they've done it.

I think you can create a new netname record and use it to replace your old one from the Handle link in the RIPE section of the main control panel.

Edited by 12eason (Fri 04-Mar-11 17:21:44)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 04-Mar-11 18:56:43
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

hmmm.... same for me. I do wonder how this has been done. Anyone know.

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Mar-11 19:46:35
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

The only thing I can think is that a company who as my shipping address is selling my personal data. AAisp have said they are not responsible for it. I've gotten through most of my IPs now, with each one eventually switching from aaisp's location to my village.
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Mar-11 19:53:12
Print Post

Suppose the other thing could be if you have a phone thats passing info on like Android passing on info

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Mar-11 20:45:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by 12eason:
You're lucky, some sites have managed to associate my IP with a location to within a square mile of my house. I still have no idea how they've done it.

I think you can create a new netname record and use it to replace your old one from the Handle link in the RIPE section of the main control panel.
the info(Geo location) which is also used by google, for offering local business searches, is sometimes supplied by the isp, easynet (ukonline)used to provide the location if you had a static ip but with Be* mine seems to be here there just about everywhere,(static ip) lol, i think virgin media do it too (cable)

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 04-Mar-11 20:46:00)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Mar-11 14:21:38
Print Post

How do they know confused
ISP: SuperNews
Organization: SuperNews
Connection:
Proxy: Suspected Network Sharing Device
City: Amsterdam
Region: Noord-Holland

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Mar-11 17:50:28
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
The info(Geo location) which is also used by google, for offering local business searches, is sometimes supplied by the isp, easynet (ukonline)used to provide the location if you had a static ip but with Be* mine seems to be here there just about everywhere,(static ip) lol, i think virgin media do it too (cable)
I don't believe that's how Googe's GEO Location works.

The relationship between IP address and location/address is different.
Here's my GEO Location Demo page where you can test your GEO location according to Google and I've attempted to explain how I see things working.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Mar-11 18:02:07
Print Post

[re: dethadol] [link to this post]

That's interesting (and worrying!), normally a WHOIS on an IP address shows the provider's details. i.e. I'm with Freeola/Entanet so see a Telford address etc. when I WHOIS my IP.

I'm aware some providers (Plus/Demon) often 'give away' too much info for people that have detailed website visitor statistics. It looks like when people first setup their ADSL they are asked for username details unaware that this will be available to any website owner that has details statistics on their site.

I hadn't noticed that AAISP do this, but let me know if you want me to help you test this smile

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Mar-11 18:11:42
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

That points to the middle of london, and asks first. Clearly not the same method.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to