User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Apr-11 08:07:00
Print Post

Easter holidays - usage ?

[link to this post]

Are the Bank holidays (Fri and Mon) charged at normal rates or are the very nice people at A&A going to give us a freebie like they do at Christmas ?
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Apr-11 21:15:52
Print Post

Re: Easter holidays - usage ?

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

Obviously not !!!
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 23-Apr-11 09:08:19
Print Post

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

Yup, I noticed this too. Rather a shame, and disappointing to be charged peak rate when clearly, there are very few businesses (if any) using the network during bank holidays.

They need to sort this out. The whole point of peak is to deter domestic users (me and you) from using the network heavily during peak hours, making way for business traffic instead.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Slaphead
(newbie) Sat 23-Apr-11 17:36:33
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I assumed that Bank Holidays would be at the weekend rate. Luckily I didn't use a huge amount but I'll still have to buy a few extra units as I've almost used all of next months allowance now.

Richard
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 23-Apr-11 18:29:12
Print Post

[re: Slaphead] [link to this post]

You wouldn't mind explaining to me how that works would you? (I'm a new A&A customer).

My understanding is they just charge you extra if you go above your base amount (2 units in my case) - if that's the case, how much do they charge for this 'extra' over-usage?

Thanks.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User Slaphead
(newbie) Sat 23-Apr-11 20:31:34
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Based on the email I was sent I'm assuming that the extra units are at the standard price per unit. I've not been in this position before so I don't know for sure.

Richard
Standard User ionic
(experienced) Mon 25-Apr-11 21:35:01
Print Post

[re: Slaphead] [link to this post]

From here: http://aa.net.uk/broadband-units.html
For over-usage you are charged at £5.64/unit rather than £3.60. However you can carry excess usage "forward" to your next month up to the number of units you pre-purchase so if you keep an eye on things you shouldn't ever need to pay the excess rate in practise.
Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Thu 28-Apr-11 12:26:45
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

Haven't actually been there yet but my reading of the rules is as follows.

Say you buy 6 units/mo and start January with a zero balance. If you use 8 in Jan then you carry a 2 unit over usage into Feb.

Having started Feb with 2 units carried over, you can use 6 (your tariff) before excess charges but any over that will be £5.64/unit. You'd then carry forward the original 2 over to March

I think.
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Thu 28-Apr-11 22:15:34
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_bean:
Having started Feb with 2 units carried over, you can use 6 (your tariff) before excess charges but any over that will be £5.64/unit. You'd then carry forward the original 2 over to March

I think.

You can use a further 10 before excess charges as you are allowed to go over by 6.
It's only when you go over -6 GB in the billing period that you would start to be charged.

If you used 9 in the example above you would start the next month (March) with 1 (-5+6) and be allowed to use a total of 7GB before being charged etc....

Simple! wink
Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 16:36:41
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Ah, right - that is a bit more logical that I thought...
  Print Thread

Jump to