User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-May-11 10:37:43
Print Post

VoIP and FTTC

[link to this post]

With FTTC coming shortly to my exchange and from the document referred to at http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/3999911-ver... I can see that my cabinet is due to have FTTC.

I currently have a VoIP line in addition to my PSTN one using my DrayTek Vigor 2800V modem router. So looks like I will need a VoIP capable cable router to connect to the Ethernet internet connection that FTTC via a supplied VDSL modem will present to me.

Anyone here using VoIP on FTTC? I'm not thinking of medium or large VoIP implementations, just one or two VoIP lines. If so, how have you accomplished this? Currently I am thinking of something like a DrayTek Vigor 2130Vn or maybe a 2920Vn.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold
DrayTek Vigor 2800V

Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Thu 12-May-11 11:05:37
Print Post

Re: VoIP and FTTC

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Just playing at the moment, I have a cisco SPA8000 which I intend to use to replace my current ISDN set-up, plus a Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh.

Works well but i only have single number/single phone going at the moment. As I want two numbers plus 4extensions in the house (plus fax and I might route another extension to the garage) so it will probably be the Cisco plus Asterix on a small PC to do the iPBX stuff (the Cisco sort-of claims to do "stuff" but I can't quite see how to get the internal SIP proxy to do extension-extension calls at the moment).

Have you looked at the Vigor 2820Vn ?
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-May-11 12:00:40
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

The 2820Vn is intended for internet via ADSL, although it would accept an Ethernet WAN connection from the A&A supplied VDSL modem. Currently you are required to use the modem supplied. However, FTTC uses a different technology to existing BT supplied service, and needs VDSL. Some users are using their own VDSL equipment, Draytech have a 2770 series in the pipeline.

I have been thinking whether to use a router with built in VoIP or to connect a seperate Ethernet VoIP adapter to one of the router ports.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold
DrayTek Vigor 2800V

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-May-11 12:39:29
Print Post

I've taken the route of a separate VOIP adaptor, a Zoom 5801. I was using this on Be* unlimited before I went to FTTC.

I discovered that on moving to FTTC (BT Infinity) that it no longer worked, I could not get it to register with my VOIP provider initially, that was solved and then I discovered that I could not make outgoing calls, I spoke with Voipfone tech support and although they were helpful I could not at that time get it to work.

I have since got it to work correctly.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-May-11 18:39:30
Print Post

I use a set of these and I can't speak highly enough of them supports quite a few VoIP lines at the same time, whichever one rings it tells you which one the call is coming by.

You can assign a number to each handset if you like or all the numbers (inc PSTN) to all of them, internal calls as well and it supports importing your contacts into the phone via VCF

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/04/27/siemens-g...

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Rich44 (Mon 16-May-11 18:40:10)

Print Thread

Jump to