User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zel
(learned) Thu 04-Aug-11 12:24:57
Print Post

Upload on HTTPS

[link to this post]

I run an HTTPS webserver on my AA line (mythweb).

Will downloads from this server count towards my download usage (I'm assuming that they wouldn't if the server was running HTTP, does the encryption change things)?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Aug-11 13:12:18
Print Post

Re: Upload on HTTPS

[re: zel] [link to this post]

When people are downloading from your webserver that runs off an ADSL line, it would count towards the upload usage allowance, since the server is uploading the data to someone over the internet.

HTTPS or HTTP protocol makes no difference.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Thu 04-Aug-11 13:18:22
Print Post

[re: zel] [link to this post]

Data going out from your A&A line isn't counted towards your useage irrespective of the protocol.

The nature of TCP does mean that when you send data you also will be recieving a little bit which will count towards your useage but it's a small percentage of the amount going out (rought estimate on the A&A channel is about 2%)

Plus there's a certain amount of traffic associated with setting up each file connection. If you are sending a few large files this will be largely negligable but if you will be sending lots of small ones it could add up.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Matchstick
(member) Thu 04-Aug-11 13:20:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A&A don't count upload useage so it's only the the incomming HTTPS setup and requests and TCP ACKs that would be counted.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:17:46
Print Post

[re: Matchstick] [link to this post]

If that few % is enough to be an issue (unlikely, even at peak times, unless your web service is going to see a lot of traffic) make sure you have dynamic compression enabled for your web server (i.e. mod_gzip under Apache). For content that is not pre-compressed (html even from scripts, scripts, sytlesheets, ...) it will reduce the number of packets needed to be acknowledged. It will also improve the speed seen by your users too, obviously.

Be wary of hosting features that let the user post large objects (images and such) such as image gallery scripts, or find a way to disable uploads in peak time, as that activity will obviously count against your units.

Also be aware that if some bot scans your web server for vulnerabilities this can sometimes result in tens of Mb of traffic in both directions, and there is next to nothing you can do about this (tools like fail2ban can help, but be careful not to set them too aggressively).

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Aug-11 12:08:44
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

Virtual Servers are approaching the price point, that once out of the Dev stage sticking sites onto one of these makes sense, still giving a lot more control than traditional hosting services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Fri 05-Aug-11 13:30:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

True: I have external backups and a couple of other bits and bobs on VMs that cost ~$6/month for 512Mb RAM, 40Gb disk, 1000Mb/month bandwidth. If you choose carefully you can find hosts that aren't stupidly oversold in the $5-$10 range. Just make sure you have good backups of anything hosted on such machines (and have control of your domain's DNS) so you can switch quickly when a given cheap host goes bad.

Though as I'm paying for what is effectively an 8.5Mbit link at home, it makes sense (to my mind at any rate) to host some things from it. Getting a 6x boost in upstream speed was one of my least flimsy justifications for paying extra for FTTC with a decent ISP!

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
  Print Thread

Jump to