User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Sep-11 17:27:00
Print Post

New usage allowances and prices from November

[link to this post]

New usage allowances and prices from November http://s.aa.net.uk/1240

The RevK Rant/Blog might also be of interest if you haven't seen it http://revk.www.me.uk/2011/09/putting-up-prices.html

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 28-Sep-11 21:46:03
Print Post

Re: New usage allowances and prices from November

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

So an extra 60p a month for a connection with half the bandwidth allowance (I mainly use my connection off-peak). That is a shame.

I won't be moving though, as I'm not a heavy user. I prefer the fast / non-contended speed when I need it (which is rarely but occassionaly). The extra peak usage is welcomed, as I sometimes work from home and eat about 0.4 units just in a single day doing that. I also like the native IPv6.

So if I compare AA with all other ISP offerings (which support IPv6), that leaves (according to TBB) Idnet and Exa Networks. Neither of those match how I use my connection, so for £32 a month (which includes the VAT and phone line), I'm staying put.

RevK's blog comment sums it up nicely:

People tend to buy because of quality and personal recommendation. It costs for us to provide quality. Perhaps we are reassuringly expensive now. I hope so.

PS - I bet this is also to do with the line rental charge increases BT announced a while ago - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4316-bt-to-raise-...

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Sep-11 22:20:31
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I think it is more what was explained in the blog. Whereas before they had loads of spare off-peak capacity, this is not so much the case any more, so they're trying to get more usage within the peak time to level it out.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Sep-11 22:21:33
Print Post

That was last year.

(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:34:51
Print Post

> So if I compare AA with all other ISP offerings (which support IPv6), that
> leaves (according to TBB) Idnet and Exa Networks.

Hi mixt,

Goscomb also offer native IPv6 as well as a choice of BE or BT back-haul.

I don't know much about them as yet but looking around as I'm paying > 40 quid a month for a pretty average experience.

One of the selling points of the AA-BE connections was that the back-haul costs were much lower than BT Wholesale, hence the higher allowances ( 125 GB versus 50 ). After this new price change there is no difference compared to BTW allowances, so where are those reduced costs going? Not to the end-users, certainly.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Fri 30-Sep-11 12:50:58
Print Post

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

Oh yes, I forgot about Goscomb (saw the name floating about on here a while back). Good call.

Yes, I agree with your statement with the BT vs BE back-haul. Do keep in mind though that an AA connection using the BE back-haul network compared to BT is about £20 more expensive per month, so in my opinion, unless you are on a severally congested BT exchange, getting poor speeds due to high contention, or are wanting to transfer more per month on a regular basis, or generally have money to burn, going with the BE option is pretty expensive for sure (not something I am considering at all).

Goscomb certainly look good - Be LLU connection for £26 a month with 200Gb limit. However, let's not forget the extra £10-£12 one would pay for line rental, which would bump the overall cost to £36/£38 a month, which is still more expensive than AA so - they still aren't tempting me (this is assuming that Goscomb can take on the line rental charge, I don't see that on their site just glancing, one of the things I like about AA is the 'broadband only' line option where I pay one company for the entire lot, line rental+broadband).

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Mon 03-Oct-11 15:52:41
Print Post

Would have been nice to be emailed about it (just had a scan through my mail for the last month and I can't see anything).

The higher 2.5G/unit peak rate seems to have been applied to my account already, though the 50Gb off-peak rate has not, I assume that will turn up next month.

I have noticed what appears to be downstream congestion at certain off-peak times in the last couple of weeks, though I've not looked into whether the location of the bottleneck might be within A&A or BT (at the exchange and so forth). If that congestion is within A&A or between A&A and BT then this change will actually be beneficial to me as I can shuffle more transfers to sit in the 0200-0600 window to keep within the units I pre-pay for. Failing that I'll just start filing expenses claims for the things I transfer here for work (where geography and exchange capability limits us to ~2.0Mbit down and 0.8 up on ADSL) until such time as they get the 10Mbit+ leased line I've submitted cost/benefit documents regarding...

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Tue 04-Oct-11 09:38:55
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
Would have been nice to be emailed about it (just had a scan through my mail for the last month and I can't see anything).

Just to let you know, we emailed customers that would be affected by this change yesterday afternoon.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aaisp.net.uk support@aaisp.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Tue 04-Oct-11 09:47:50
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
I have noticed what appears to be downstream congestion at certain off-peak times in the last couple of weeks, though I've not looked into whether the location of the bottleneck might be within A&A or BT (at the exchange and so forth). If that congestion is within A&A or between A&A and BT then this change will actually be beneficial to me as I can shuffle more transfers to sit in the 0200-0600 window to keep within the units I pre-pay for. Failing that I'll just start filing expenses claims for the things I transfer here for work (where geography and exchange capability limits us to ~2.0Mbit down and 0.8 up on ADSL) until such time as they get the 10Mbit+ leased line I've submitted cost/benefit documents regarding...

We do publish our congestion reports, and we aim to run an uncongested network.
http://aa.net.uk/broadband-speed.html
However, there have been times when our links to BT have been a bottleneck, we do upgrade the capacity on these links frequently though.
Hope this helps.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aaisp.net.uk support@aaisp.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User epyon
(member) Tue 04-Oct-11 23:28:37
Print Post

Theses new prices look a lot more attractive.

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to