User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Northwind
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-11 10:10:28
Print Post

Cheerio AAISP

[link to this post]

Well after three years with AAISP I have migrated out to another niche ISP and, yes, they also have native IPv6 routing!

It was an interesting and ( mostly ) enjoyable period but recently I don't feel that I was receiving value for money nor a quality service. Particularly when my bargain-basement voice provider gave me better support in resolving line noise.

All the best to the staff. It must be scary to stand on the precipice of committing to the 10 Gb/s upgrade; is it better for an ISP to return to being small and focused or expand and pay the costs to do so? I'm not envious of those facing that quandary and I hope that AAISP regains its footing in the future.

Cheerio.
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Fri 02-Dec-11 21:04:31
Print Post

Re: Cheerio AAISP

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

I was with AAISP for a time. Didnt live up to their promise to 'resolve issues other ISP's ignore.' And I found them incredibly expensive.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 03-Dec-11 12:39:54
Print Post

[re: wobblyheed] [link to this post]

Regarding 'not resolving your issues', not sure not what happened there (just bad luck?).

As for 'incredibly expensive', they're not. Let me explain to you why.

ISPs will give you 2 choices when it comes to your broadband - you manage your connection (control your usage) or they do it for you.

If they do it for you, they can apply 2 schemes - traffic shaping (PlusNet, other ISPs) or transfer caps (Zen). I only quote these ISPs merely because I have used them in the past, and know how they work.

For the more tech savvy user (like myself), I chose neither of these. AAISP supply me with a clean connection (no traffic shaping, no caps) and I control how I use my connection. If I don't manage to do this, I get charged extra appropriately. I enjoy full speeds nearly all of the time (only marginal slow downs in evenings due to BT) and can't really complain.

Yes, I am paying premium, but here's another thing to keep in mind. AAISP is managed by individuals who realise that such money needs to be invested back into their network, to keep providing a satisfactory level and quality of service that customers have come to expect, all of the time. For me, this is £32 a month (including line rental). The other side of the coin is (for example) my brother who is with BE, paying a whopping £12 a month for his Be Unlimited connection (they reduced his monthly charge when O2 tried to snatch his business last year) plus, I presume, the line rental - so total of (shall we say) £22 a month. If you look at the BE forums, they are currently in a bit of a mess as they have taken on more and more customers while not expanding their network accordingly, and many people have speed issues because of this. And some people are even leaving.

AAISP on the other hand have no doubt been planning their 10G upgrade for some years, and so they can maintain no drop in quality to their service both before and after this upgrade takes place. In short, they are run in such a way where they aim to provide 100% quality 100% of the time.

They are not expensive for me. They only get expensive if I start to use my connection like a leased line. So in that respect, it's not really rocket science that if you use your connection more, you get charged more, is it? So, you either do pay more, or stop using your connection in that manner, or, if you can't be bothered doing either of those things, pay a lower price to another provider who will manage your connection for you (and save some money while you're at it).

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Dec-11 12:44:47
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
Regarding 'not resolving your issues', not sure not what happened there (just bad luck?).
From other posts, the chap has his phone line thorough some 3rd party supplier. I'm not sure the AAISP guarantee applies to 3rd party phone lines with a BE based broadband.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:09:06
Print Post

If they do it for you, they can apply 2 schemes - traffic shaping (PlusNet, other ISPs) or transfer caps (Zen). I only quote these ISPs merely because I have used them in the past, and know how they work.

For the more tech savvy user (like myself), I chose neither of these. AAISP supply me with a clean connection (no traffic shaping, no caps) and I control how I use my connection. If I don't manage to do this, I get charged extra appropriately. I enjoy full speeds nearly all of the time (only marginal slow downs in evenings due to BT) and can't really complain.

Um,. so you're saying that AAISP let you use as much data as you like but you pay if you use more.

So that's EXACTLY like Zen. You can use as much as you like, but if you use more than the default monthly allowance (the Zen equiv of AAISP "prepaid units") you pay, er more.

Sounds identical to me.

Yes, I am paying premium, but here's another thing to keep in mind. AAISP is managed by individuals who realise that such money needs to be invested back into their network, to keep providing a satisfactory level and quality of service that customers have come to expect, all of the time. For me, this is £32 a month (including line rental). The other side of the coin is (for example) my brother who is with BE, paying a whopping £12 a month for his Be Unlimited connection (they reduced his monthly charge when O2 tried to snatch his business last year) plus, I presume, the line rental - so total of (shall we say) £22 a month. If you look at the BE forums, they are currently in a bit of a mess as they have taken on more and more customers while not expanding their network accordingly, and many people have speed issues because of this. And some people are even leaving.

AAISP on the other hand have no doubt been planning their 10G upgrade for some years, and so they can maintain no drop in quality to their service both before and after this upgrade takes place. In short, they are run in such a way where they aim to provide 100% quality 100% of the time.

They are not expensive for me. They only get expensive if I start to use my connection like a leased line. So in that respect, it's not really rocket science that if you use your connection more, you get charged more, is it? So, you either do pay more, or stop using your connection in that manner, or, if you can't be bothered doing either of those things, pay a lower price to another provider who will manage your connection for you (and save some money while you're at it).
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:11:27
Print Post

The other side of the coin is (for example) my brother who is with BE, paying a whopping £12 a month for his Be Unlimited connection (they reduced his monthly charge when O2 tried to snatch his business last year) plus, I presume, the line rental - so total of (shall we say) £22 a month. If you look at the BE forums, they are currently in a bit of a mess as they have taken on more and more customers while not expanding their network accordingly, and many people have speed issues because of this. And some people are even leaving.

Um, and there are plenty of people on Be who are perfectly happy and see no speed drops (hello). Although just like be, AAISP has some customers are leaving, including the OP.

So again, I'm not sure how you've shown things to be any different at all...
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:15:16
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

So that's EXACTLY like Zen. You can use as much as you like, but if you use more than the default monthly allowance (the Zen equiv of AAISP "prepaid units") you pay, er more.

AAISP and Zen are -almost- the same. Zen will terminate your connection (rendering it unusable) if you hit your limit. AAISP do not - they just charge you more. That is the point I was making.

Not all of us want or need a connection which has the potential to be disconnected by the ISP (eg. me). For others, that is perfectly acceptable.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:16:40
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

I agree. Like I hinted, my brother is with BE and has had no issues. Having said that, he's a light non-techy user anyway so he's highly unlikely to see issues even if they did exist.

But you can't deny that BE have been having issues (check forums). Yet, this forum is really quite quiet by comparison.

I rest my case.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:47:27
Print Post

I agree. Like I hinted, my brother is with BE and has had no issues. Having said that, he's a light non-techy user anyway so he's highly unlikely to see issues even if they did exist.

But you can't deny that BE have been having issues (check forums).
Like your brother, I had no problems with BE. Funny you can't accept that evidence, preferring to rely on some forum idiots.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-11 14:18:03
Print Post

Yep that's fair enough, and I must admit I do wish Zen would have a "just bill me" option, but I guess they decided it wasn't important enough.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to