User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Dec-11 23:37:14
Print Post

Trying to figure out the numbers

[link to this post]

Being about 500 metres from the cabinet on aluminium underground cable to the nearest pole; I never expected full speed on FTTC.

However, I am still uncertain about my download speed. BT Openreach seem to have introduced different terminology which can confuse. Well, confuse me...

According to my AAISP Control Panel, my BRAS is 28.0 Mb/s.

Running a speedtest at http://speedtester.bt.com/ I typically get:-

Max Achievable Speed: 38714 Kbps

Download Speed: 24987 Kbps

IP Profile for your line: 38714 Kbps

Why is there such a difference between my IP Profile and my BRAS? My download speed compared to my BRAS seems ok, but is a BRAS of 28 .0 Mb/s correct for what I assume is a 38714 synch?

Cheers!

Also, a few minutes after that speedtest, at 22:53pm yesterday, my Thinkbroadband speedtest was 10168 Kbps Previously with similar BT speedtest results I have seen 26948 Kbps on Thinkbroadband spedtester, but that at 05:10am. Is there a reason why Thinkbroadband's figures are so different?

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Thu 15-Dec-11 22:08:32
Print Post

Re: Trying to figure out the numbers

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

If BT have set a profile of 38714 then you are at max sync (or very nearly). However until very recently (Tuesday to be precise) AAISP seemed to traffic shape significantly below the BRAS rate and often (usually in fact) was very slow to respond to, or missed sync speed changes altogether. I was stuck at 32Mbs-1 despite a 38715 BRAS profile, although they put me at 150% line-rate shaping at their end which helped.

Now it looks as though BT have made some changes which mean that the BT line rate follows sync much more closely on 21C lines. A&A have made some changes at their end following this. The happy side effect is that my line rate on clueless now reads 39.8

Make sure you disconnect and reconnect the PPP session and then re-check your status pages.

As I said this all changed on Tuesday which was after your first post - definitely worth a re-look.

See here for details.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-11 10:49:17
Print Post

Re: Trying to figure out the numbers

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Hi mr_bean

My apologies, I thought that I had replied the other day to thank you, but looking at my recent posts it seems that I have not.

What you suggested has given me a massive jump in download speed.

I killed my session on the A&A status page and after re-sync it went from a BRAS of 29M to a Line rate of 39876000

Also, using http://speedtester.bt.com/ I got a Download speed of 34123 Kbps at 23:56 on 15th Dec and 34576 Kbps at 18:12 16th Dec; which compared to 24987 Kbps previously equates to a 38% increase!! WOW!

I have been shy of initiating re-syncs in the past in case I ended up with less than I had before....

Thanks again.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to