User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dethadol
(regular) Wed 04-Jan-12 15:33:40
Print Post

Router does not reconnect

[link to this post]

AAISP are doing some work to their LNSs which has caused my line to drop every night between 17:00 and 17:30. This has happened for the last seven consecutive nights.

My problem is that my router does not automatically reconnect as AAISP say it should and I have to manually reboot to get a connection. This has always happened but of course its more annoying when it happens on a daily basis.

The router is a TP-Link TD-W8960N does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 04-Jan-12 20:09:24
Print Post

Re: Router does not reconnect

[re: dethadol] [link to this post]

Not sure what to suggest here. Can you tell if the router even tries to reconnect? That is, does it still think it is connected (when it really isn't anymore) or does it know it's been disconnected, and then tries to reconnect, but can't? (it gets no response?)

Are you on 20CN or 21CN ? I'm on 21CN and I use Linux pppd to connect up (my router is a small Linux server) and I can see I've been getting disconnections at around exactly the same times as you, but all times, it terminates and reconnects without issues.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User dethadol
(regular) Wed 04-Jan-12 23:53:13
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I'm on 20CN. When the connection drops the router does not appear to try to reconnect, it just sits there doing nothing until I switch it off and on again when it connects straight away.

I was thinking that it may be something to do with the router settings, but I am afraid that I do not understand many of these.

Thanks for the response

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Thu 05-Jan-12 00:15:26
Print Post

It may be some quirk / difference between the way 20CN and 21CN deal with terminating the connection. This smells very much like a "stale" connection, created when AAISP do their maintenance and cause the connection to reset. It may be the case that 21CN doesn't suffer from this and can handle it better, where as 20CN is leaving your router with a bad taste in it's mouth and only a complete reset (re-sync) clears your line allowing it to log back on.

To be honest, I don't know enough to make any further judgement - this is all purely speculation. But we have at least established a fundamental difference between my connection and yours, and that's 20/21CN - so I think that's got something to do with it.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jan-12 07:36:05
Print Post

I have the exact same router and mine has a similar problem in that every now and then the line will drop at around 4.45am (usually Thursdays, but not today) and not reconnect until I reboot the router.

I have logged it with AAISP tech support but they don't know what the issue is....
Standard User dethadol
(regular) Thu 05-Jan-12 10:30:08
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. I'm going to log it with AAISP to see if they can figure something out
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 05-Jan-12 10:57:42
Print Post

As a hacky work-around, if the time of the drop is truely predictable you could get a timer plug (something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-digital-mains-Soc... and have that turn the router off every day shortly after that time. The problem with that is none of those timers have a granularity lower than one minute (for their intended use case finer grnaularity isn't useful) so your link will be down for at least a minute at the appointed time even if it were not going to be otherwise.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
  Print Thread

Jump to