User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Tue 17-Jan-12 22:15:02
Print Post

Re: Not sure how these charges work

[re: pete_boardman] [link to this post]

Wow, thanks - that's another very helpful analysis of the system... I know everyone says it's simple, but I'm only just starting to 'get' it. Your advice is very sensible.

It isn't simple compared to other ISPs IMO, but the extra little bit of complexity gives us much greater flexibility than the fixed caps of other solutions and far more clarity then heavily shaped and hairy-fairy "fair use" policies found elsewhere. It doesn't work out great for everyone (particularly due to the high effective price of weekday bandwidth) but for many like myself it works out very well even after the recent changes that dropped the bandwidth value of off-peak units.

it's been educational to switch to AAISP
but then there's the school holidays which - unlike Christmas - aren't going to be unmetered, sadly...

Make it educational for the kids too: link bandwidth use to pocket money bonuses or something and teach them a little "enjoyment optimisation" that will be valuable when managing their time and resources in later life!

It doesn't take long for someone to download another 1GB

It certainly doesn't. HD content from iPlayer and the like can rack up a pile of bandwidth in very little time for instance. I'd have to implement some stringent speed limits in the weekday if I had kids anywhere near my FTTC based line: flat out at the current sync rate it can pull down 13G in an hour, a month of that would not be cheap!

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Wed 25-Jan-12 13:05:31
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

It certainly doesn't. HD content from iPlayer and the like can rack up a pile of bandwidth in very little time for instance.

My Mrs had a week off work, and spent the entire week on Netflix blush OMG I knew bandwidth was pricey on AAISP during the day, but I forgot by how much.
Standard User cssuk
(learned) Sun 29-Jan-12 10:45:38
Print Post

LOL i have to say i know its personal choice etc but hell just get a decent isp that allows usage whenever you want, there are lots out there that allow unlimited DL with a fair usage policy not sure if the rate you guys pay is mega low or not but what a PITA to have to sit there and think "shall i DL this or wait till later" etc or ami barking up the wrong tree?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lisaj
(experienced) Sun 29-Jan-12 15:13:14
Print Post

I was in a similar situation, I am working a lot more from home now, and I did not use the internet during the day, as I didn't want a huge bill, AAISP are fantastic, but the 9-6 slot is a real bug for me, so I migrated away.

Lisa

PlusNet

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User pete_boardman
(newbie) Mon 30-Jan-12 10:13:45
Print Post

[re: lisaj] [link to this post]

I think I'll be moving too. As you say, they provide a good service but the pricing doesn't suit everybody's situation...
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to