User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Tue 31-Jan-12 11:27:37
Print Post

Any plans regarding support for 80/20 when available?

[link to this post]

As BT have updated their availability checker for th upcoming 80/20 rollout I looked at what they estimate for my line (which sees as close to the full 40/10 as possible) and get:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.
Has A&A announced any plans to support the speed bump when the trial is over and it is generally available? (and if so is it likely to cost more?). I couldn't see anything obvious on the main site (though I wouldn't expect to until up-to-80/20 is officially rolled out) or in a quick search here.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via FTTC at ~40Mbit down (has occasionally dropped to ~36) & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Tue 31-Jan-12 14:49:04
Print Post

Re: Any plans regarding support for 80/20 when available?

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

Don't know about A&A supporting the Bump maybe one of their reps will answer this you, but I would expect it to cost more as Openreach are likely to charge more.

From the Openreach site.

The 40:10 product is £88.80 per annum ,
The 40:15 product was £119.40
and the Trial 80:20 price is £119.40

so £2.60 more to the ISP (Excl VAT) say £3 so could be £5+ PCM more at customer end
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Wed 02-May-12 15:40:26
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In case anyone else is wondering, new customers get 80/20 if they sign up to the premium package, and existing customers can regrade but it means agreeing to hang around for a minimum 12 months after the change.

People on the standard service (previously 40/2) can regrade to 40/10 similarly.

See http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-FC.html

Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via FTTC at ~40Mbit down (has occasionally dropped to ~36) & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-12 14:01:09
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
In case anyone else is wondering, new customers get 80/20 if they sign up to the premium package, and existing customers can regrade but it means agreeing to hang around for a minimum 12 months after the change.

People on the standard service (previously 40/2) can regrade to 40/10 similarly.

See http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-FC.html

Just phoned Sales and the one off fee is £10 plus VAT. My update request has just gone in.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Fri 04-May-12 14:14:59
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

<quote>Just phoned Sales and the one off fee is £10 plus VAT. My update request has just gone in.</quote>

I requested the change by email yesterday at 1524, and I had the speed bump available when I checked first thing this morning, so it doesn't take long. I've not done any "scientific" tests but the results I did get before having to go to work suggest the BT estimate for my line wasn't far off - the best observed upstream rate I saw was 16.5mbit and the best downstream around the 65 mark.

And to think that I remember when you had to pay a hefty price to push any part of your local wired network faster than 10mbit/s...

Edited by dspillett (Fri 04-May-12 14:22:57)

Print Thread

Jump to