User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 05-Apr-12 09:18:34
Print Post

Soon-to-be customer

[link to this post]

Just wanted to say hey all to you AAISP users - just signed up yesterday and am waiting for the activation to happen which hopefully be next Friday.

I had a play with the control panel - how much power do I have over the broandband line, the connection, the setup, etc?? This is wonderful! laugh

Ok, so I might be showing my geeky side, but this offers me more control compared with other ISPs who wants you to call/raise a ticket to change something.

Good impression so far. smile

Anyone got any tips to get my line to have the best speed/keeping it stable as much as I can? My router is Draytek Vigor 2600 - yes this is an oldie, but have ADSL2+ support so I should be fine to keep it for a while I think. Is there any good router that you can recommend? Bonus if it has wifi built in (mine doesn't)

Cheers all. smile

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User Unconfirmed
(regular) Thu 05-Apr-12 12:55:41
Print Post

Re: Soon-to-be customer

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

The Draytek 2600 doesn't have ADSL2+ support. That started in the 2800.

My favourite router is the Netgear DG843 v3/v4. The DG Team Firmware allows setting the SNR Margin. My original Sync speed was ~15meg, but setting the SNR Margin lower increased Sync to ~17meg. It should be at the cost of reliability, but it works fine and never drops (if it did I'd get an email from the great line drop email feature thingie from AAISP).
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 05-Apr-12 13:01:51
Print Post

[re: Unconfirmed] [link to this post]

Oops, I meant to type 2800, not 2600! smile

Thanks, will check out Netgear.

- Tony Sutton

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Unconfirmed
(regular) Thu 05-Apr-12 13:04:44
Print Post

I thought that might have been the case!

It's quite old but it's really reliable, and with the 'custom' firmware you get a lot of config options. Plus I bet they're dirt cheap on eBay.

Might be worth keeping in mind if you're getting FTTC/VDSL soon it might change your options.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Thu 05-Apr-12 13:53:34
Print Post

[re: Unconfirmed] [link to this post]

I have a 2800N which does have wireless (I don't think I have come across anyone selling the base model without wireless! It works fine on my BE connection (ADSL2+) and has been better overall that others I have tried (two BE Boxes and an ex SKY router flashed with the DG Team software).

It works fine as a router connected to a modem so will be quite happy with FTTC.

I might suggest the Billion 7800N as a worthy replacement - it has Wireless N, Gigabit switch and is well respected here. Been around a while now, solid peice of kit!

Not cheap - around about the same price as the Draytek was I suspect.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Now with BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload! Never happier!
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-12 14:40:41
Print Post

Before you spend money on a router, call AAISP and ask if they are still providing a router f.o.c., they were last year.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-12 15:00:23
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

I think they provide a Technicolor TG582n FOC - details here: http://aaisp.net.uk/news-2011-11-routers.html

smile

Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 05-Apr-12 15:26:16
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Before you spend money on a router, call AAISP and ask if they are still providing a router f.o.c., they were last year.

Their website states that it's for "new connection", i.e. 1st time broadband and that if I am migrating to them, I would need a existing router.

- Tony Sutton
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-12 16:39:43
Print Post

See my earlier AAISP link...
"...is offered as our free with broadband router."

And here they say:
"Our broadband services include a free router to use with the service (yours to keep after a year)."

Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 05-Apr-12 16:56:35
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
And here they say:
"Our broadband services include a free router to use with the service (yours to keep after a year)."

Click the hyperlinked "Terms" on the bottom under "FREE Router with broadband" and have a read.

- Tony Sutton
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to