User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User drws
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 23:38:52
Print Post

First week...

[link to this post]

Signed up with AAISP recently and thought I'd post something about my experience.

I used to (a still do for a short while) have a Virgin Media connection (50mb) but it just became too unstable with issues for 6 of the last 12 months on and off.
It got so bad I couldn't even use SSH to manage remote devices without keystrokes going missing or being severely delayed making it almost impossible to use.
I'd often have to tether my 3G connection to get any work done.

So having decided to switch and FTTC being enabled in my area I set about looking for an ISP and settled on AAISP.

Signup with AAISP went well, the Openreach engineer arrived at exactly the time specified, I believe a few people have issues with them doing no-shows, but couldn't have gone smoother for me.

I'm getting 37.3Mb down / 8.3Mb up on speed tests (using 40/10 FTTC line) and I haven't even started tweaking interleave settings and MTUs yet.

Pros:
IPv6 range and static IPv4 address(es).
Ability to tweak line settings like interleave, mtu etc.
Customisable network graphs.
Virtually no packet loss and low latency (especially compared to my old VM link)
* Before: VM-TBB-Graph
* After: AAISP-TBB-Graph
Their philosophy on internet filtering.
No throttling. If you want to use all your transfer budget on torrents then that's your choice.
xkcd.com/806 compliance. wink

Cons:
Non really, early days but I'm not expecting any issues.
No good if you are a torrent-happy mega-downloader, but you probably knew that already.

I'm glad I made the switch because:
* I'm saving money (about £8pcm over VM)
* The link has worked 100% of the time so far.
* I get full bandwidth 24x7, it doesn't slow down in the evening which is when I do a lot of work from home.
* I can remotely manage servers and networks again.

(edits for spelling/grammer E&OE)

Edited by drws (Thu 05-Jul-12 23:42:47)

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Fri 06-Jul-12 08:51:29
Print Post

Re: First week...

[re: drws] [link to this post]

Thanks for the write up!
We were a bit confused about your ssh keystrokes missing... until we saw the graph smile

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aa.net.uk support@aaisp.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Fri 06-Jul-12 08:59:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by drws:
No good if you are a torrent-happy mega-downloader, but you probably knew that already.

Schedule them for 2am - 6am... you have 1TB available. smile

Welcome to AAISP! Like you, I too suffered with bad connections until I switched to this provider - problem went away!

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dadiy
(newbie) Fri 06-Jul-12 10:11:14
Print Post

Hi, I also moved to FTTC with AAISP recently but Im havng issues with the interleaving being turned on, how do you think you can change the interleaving yourself?

I've had a support ticket open with AAISP to change this now for over 3 weeks and so far its been a case of wait and it will change itself, and finally after lots of chasing emails a fault to BT was raised to change the profile which just got closed out as no fault found and the last couple of emails to find out whats going on have been un answered.
Standard User drws
(newbie) Fri 06-Jul-12 13:59:26
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

andrew, amazing isn't it, you could understand if you couldn't watch iplayer HD during congestion but not being able to use a terminal session was the final straw.

dadiy, for interleave settings (which I haven't tried yet myself) my Clueless login under the section for my phone number has 'set Interleave On' and 'set Interleave Off' buttons.
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Fri 06-Jul-12 14:34:19
Print Post

[re: dadiy] [link to this post]

Hi Dadiy,

Controlling interleaving on FTTC is a bit of a pain at the moment... Openreach (who run FTTC) don't give BT Wholesale (Who sell FTTC to ISPs) access to the settings, and so we as an ISP are a few steps removed from the black boxes that control this!

If it's not been disabled, then we can go through the fault process and and tackle it that way...

PM me the ticket number if you like and I'll take a closer look.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aa.net.uk support@aaisp.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User dadiy
(newbie) Fri 06-Jul-12 14:42:13
Print Post

Im told that those buttons on clueless dont work for FTTC only ADSL etc.
Standard User dadiy
(newbie) Fri 06-Jul-12 14:48:43
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Andrew,

Thanks for picking this up. I cant PM you as it says that your PMs are disabled.

The ticket number is TE12M6 - it should contain all my contact details so feel free to email me directly.

I'd appreciate it if you can get this escalated to BT.

thanks again.
  Print Thread

Jump to