User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 19-Nov-12 08:53:50
Print Post

New AAISP tariff trial announced

[link to this post]

Just noticed AAISP are trialing a new tariff with some existing customers for use on non business accounts only.

Should help for those concerned with daytime usage rates.

Announcement.

Blog comment.
Standard User dethadol
(regular) Mon 19-Nov-12 11:44:58
Print Post

Re: New AAISP tariff trial announced

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Shame about us poor 20CN outcasts!
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Mon 19-Nov-12 12:02:24
Print Post

My hopes were raised, then dashed. I work from home, and my connection is paid by a Ltd business. That Ltd business then invoices me personally for my contribution. AAISP wont accept it. frown

Edited by stuorguk (Mon 19-Nov-12 14:53:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Matchstick
(member) Tue 20-Nov-12 13:20:02
Print Post

[re: dethadol] [link to this post]

The new trial tariff has been extended to 20CN customers as well now

http://s.aa.net.uk/1641

I need to sit down and work out how much extra it would cost and whether it would be worth it.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 14:56:14
Print Post

[re: Matchstick] [link to this post]

I assume prices exclude VAT? Could get costly when you use from 100 -200GB per month =S

Edited by swervinc (Tue 20-Nov-12 15:20:06)

Standard User Matchstick
(member) Tue 20-Nov-12 15:44:57
Print Post

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

Looks to be inc VAT.

From what RevK has been saying this isn't intended as an option for people looking to use extremely high levels of usage but rather to address the needs to average home users who want don;t want to worry about usage at different times of the day costing radically different amounts..

I suspect if any users wer to start using the tariff in a way A&A considered abusive they likely be asked to stop and if they didn't I wouldn't be surprised if A&A asked them to find a different isp.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 21-Nov-12 20:42:40
Print Post

Does the 2am-6am night-time special period apply to the new Home::1 tariff ?

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Thu 22-Nov-12 08:23:33
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Doesn't look like it. At least not at the moment, but they still seem to be taking feedback.

There was also this comment in the blog which seems to confirm that it doesn't.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 24-Nov-12 02:28:03
Print Post

I'm sure this tariff will suit some customers, but I'm sticking with the original (what I have just now). Having the potential to be cutoff does not appeal to me.

The blog posts are interesting and I disagree with some of RevK's rebuttals to suggestions, specifically the lack of the night time special period between 2 and 6am. I still think this should exist.

Also, there's talk on the blog about whether customers should be "slowed down" or forced to "pay up" (for more usage credits). If they go the "slowed down" route, this then begs the question of whether AA can slow down customer connections their side during peak 9-5pm hours, weekdays, on standard tariffs like mine (upon request of the customer). I already do this artificially my side, but not everyone has the equipment their side to do this. If they offered that feature, it would certainly prevent customers clocking up outrageous usage units during peak hours, where most non-techy users fail to realise exactly how many credits a 1080p YouTube video can chomp through during peak hours.

Having said all that, I respect RevK's point with this new tariff - that it is supposed to be simple and easy to understand. 25, 100 or 200 Gb a month, for X pounds a month, is something most people understand, and inline with how other ISPs (who offer capped services) charge, like Zen (for example).

I shall watch with interest as to how the trial pans out. smile

EDIT: Also, unless I'm missing something, £25/month for 25Gb/month seems a bit expensive. Zen are doing 20Gb/month for £18.37 a month (inc vat) and 200Gb/month for £35.74 a month (inc vat). AA on the same allowance would be £45/month (£10 more expensive). Why such a difference?

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Sat 24-Nov-12 02:39:24)

Standard User grahammm
(member) Sat 24-Nov-12 13:03:22
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
Also, unless I'm missing something, £25/month for 25Gb/month seems a bit expensive. Zen are doing 20Gb/month for £18.37 a month (inc vat) and 200Gb/month for £35.74 a month (inc vat). AA on the same allowance would be £45/month (£10 more expensive). Why such a difference?

Especially considering that for £1.10 less (inc VAT) per month, the standard 3-unit tariff offers up to 150GB off-peak or (to match the Home::1 usage) 6.6GB peak and 18.4GB off-peak plus free domain etc. So anyone using less than 6.6GB peak per month would definitely be better off on the 3-unit tariff rather than the 25GB Home::1
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to