User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:08:56
Print Post

Re: FTTC with AAISP

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

The output of a modem is serial, the output of this device is ethernet.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:20:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Actually, as modem stands for modulator-demodulator, it applies to conversion to/from discrete multitone modulation (DMT, as used in ADSL, VDSL, etc) just as well as it applies to a modem sitting between a serial line and a telephone line, or in fact anything else which can be used'to carry digital signals over an analogue line.
So the use of modem is correct, even though it isn't an old 110 baud thing sitting next to a teletype.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:28:23
Print Post

It's a Home Gateway - that's what the HG in HG612 stands for.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:30:18
Print Post

That doesn't stop it containing a modem... in fact, if it didn't it would not work.
And what defines a modem is not serial or otherwise, but the conversion between analogue and digital signals.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:33:50
Print Post

I can't see any reason to think of the device as a modem, it's like thinking of a car as an air filter.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:34:52
Print Post

It's more like thinking of a car as containing an engine.
You are arguing that it cannot because it is a car.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 08:06:00
Print Post

Thanks.

I had a play and I managed (eventually) to get the Billion in bridge mode and the WAN i/f on Pfsense setup as PPPoE late last night. I setup the /30 on the LAN side and as a VIP on Pfsense to be able to still access the Billion for SNMP purposes (I run MRTG to log various data) but I was unable to get it working.

It wasn't until I reverted everything back that I realised the routes back the to /27 and /29 were missing so that was the probable cause.

I think I'll change it back over tonight and run it for a while - I think the chances are I'll just stick with what I have. I've been running Pfsense for a number of years and it's never let me down and I have a dedicated hardware box for it now so I might as well stick with it.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
2.91Mb/s - 0.89Mb/s - 18ms and getting worse frown
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2175310790.png
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 09:41:25
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

You are welcome, and any questions somebody here will know the answer.
I guess your Billion router will still need a route back to the IP address you run MRTG from, if that was the problem.
BTW, you won't be able to collect the same type of stats from the OpenReach modem unless you unlock it.
Standard User Magsy
(committed) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:45:33
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pete_thomson:
This post comes to you over a connection using pfSense 2.0.2 and a BT Huawei HG612 modem, though I'm using Zen, not AAISP. pfSense is terminating the PPPoE.

The only snag with this setup is that pfSense doesn't currently support RFC 4638, so you're limited to a WAN MTU of 1492 bytes. I'm looking at adding the necessary support and have scoped out the work to be done, but have no timescale for it. Unfortunately, it seems likely to need two patches - one to the mpd PPP daemon and one to the FreeBSD kernel (as the majority of the work for PPPoE is done using the netgraph system in the kernel).

Sorry to hijack a little but do you have the reconnection bug, where if the HG612 power cycles, pfsense doesn't connect back up automatically?
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:45:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Uilebheist:
You are welcome, and any questions somebody here will know the answer.
I guess your Billion router will still need a route back to the IP address you run MRTG from, if that was the problem.
BTW, you won't be able to collect the same type of stats from the OpenReach modem unless you unlock it.

Yeah - When I switched from PPPoA to PPPoE to dropped the 2 routes from the config so I'm guessing that what was wrong.

I was aware that you could unlock the OR Modem but that will have to be physically a second connection - I have 2 spare NICs on my Pfsense box so I might just activate one of those and run a cable back to the modem.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
2.91Mb/s - 0.89Mb/s - 18ms and getting worse frown
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2175310790.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to