User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Mon 30-Sep-13 12:01:07
Print Post

AAISP boosts usage allowance to 100GB per month on Home::1

[link to this post]

In case anyone missed the news...

AAISP boosts usage allowance to 100GB per month on Home::1

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6068-aaisp-boosts...

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Mon 30-Sep-13 17:03:28
Print Post

Re: AAISP boosts usage allowance to 100GB per month on Home:

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

I can't help but wonder if this move is in direct response to Zen's new unlimited fibre packages. In any case, this package still proves to be more expensive for me (in terms of actual data I can transfer in a given month) compared to the banded/metered unit tariff I'm currently on (scheduling downloads on the night-time special hours). What I mean is - this month, I have used 200Gb across 3 units. Price £45.90. Whereas 200Gb on Home::1 would cost me £57.00 (both of these prices include line rental at £12). So it still remains cheaper to stay on the banded tariff package, being sensible about when large downloads are performed, and restricting peak-time usage where necessary.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6+40Mb/FTTC)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Thu 03-Oct-13 22:20:23
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

That's fine if you can keep your daytime usage under 2 Gb and evening usage under 50, with the other 150Gb between 2am and 6am, but I suspect that's very exceptional usage (particularly for someone using as much as 200 Gb total). Even if the house is normally empty M-F 9-6, a single day of using the connection at home could blow past your 3 units.

My total usage on FTTC 80/20 runs around 100 Gb a month down+up, varying from 80 to 180 - no more than 22Gb between 8am and 8am M-F, which is when Entanet track, making A&A's unit pricing up over £80, but Home::1 probably £52 for the same, both including BT line rental - and much less risk: an unexpected 20Gb in the day might mean using part of a £10 topup, rather than burning an extra £32 worth of units.

Since I work from home quite often, the unit-pricing was out of the question; Home::1 puts A&A back on the menu for me. Even without working from home I think I'd worry too much about excess usage any weekday I was home, or had a guest, or got home early and wanted to get online!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-13 14:56:25
Print Post

[re: JamesS88] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JamesS88:
That's fine if you can keep your daytime usage under 2 Gb and evening usage under 50, with the other 150Gb between 2am and 6am, but I suspect that's very exceptional usage (particularly for someone using as much as 200 Gb total). Even if the house is normally empty M-F 9-6, a single day of using the connection at home could blow past your 3 units.

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but I actually cripple my connection during peak-hours precisely because of this. Linux is very useful for allowing customisation of how exactly that crippling is done, but I've gone with (what is in my view) quite a smart method.

Effectively, I maintain two lists of MAC addresses. One list is for blocked MACs and the other is for unlimited MACs. The blocked MACs are completely blocked during peak-hours, and they cannot do anything online (this includes my NAS (Bit-Torrent), and Smart TV). The unlimited MACs include my work laptop and anything else I don't want to limit during peak-hours.

All other devices (laptops, phones, etc) are then put straight into a blanket 1Mbit/second channel, meaning the combined maximum traffic rate of all these devices cannot exceed 1Mbit/second downstream. This is implemented outward on the LAN interface from the Linux router.

The result of this is that it is impossible for any device to go a-wall and start downloading massive amounts of data during peak-hours as the maximum it will ever get is 1Mbit/second. Anyone else also in this band will find the connection unusable. I have to say, so far, it has helped mitigate many potential "disasters", such as the Bit-Torrent client on the NAS losing its download schedule and downloading full speed during peak-hours (I had this happen once when it lost its scheduler settings).

This means the connection is still usable (just) for basic browsing and email during the day, and even for viewing low quality YouTube vids, but for anything else heavy duty (like 1080p YT vids) will just not be streamable. The complete blocking of the Smart TV as well means that online catch-up stuff is off limits until off-peak hours. All in all, it's a good work around to mitigate cost but understandably, not for everyone. I may well move to an unlimited service once my contract is up *looks at Zen* smile

Edited by mixt (Mon 07-Oct-13 15:20:24)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-Oct-13 23:39:09
Print Post

a-wall = awol

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Tue 08-Oct-13 06:24:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for your enlightening contribution Batboy; your posts bring real value to these forums. Keep up the good work!

Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Sun 15-Dec-13 12:58:48
Print Post

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but I actually cripple my connection during peak-hours precisely because of this. Linux is very useful for allowing customisation of how exactly that crippling is done, but I've gone with (what is in my view) quite a smart method.

I considered doing that, back when I first chose between Entanet and A&A, but the safety of Entanet's cheaper peak topups won me over: I started at 45 Gb peak allowance, then stepped down to 15 plus buying occasional topups. I moved big jobs (software updates, backups, the odd huge download like a virtual machine appliance or new piece of software) to the off-peak window, and was comfortable nothing else would break the bank.

Now I'm on Home::1 I can see the detailed traffic stats from Clueless: I seem to be around the equivalent of five units a month - so I'm either saving myself either about £7, or the effort of shifting the last few pounds worth of traffic to off-peak times manually. Plus, of course, more flexibility: if I want to reinstall Creative Suite, I don't need to choose between waiting until off-peak times or paying extra for it now: I can just download comfortably, day or night.

Zen's new FTTC offerings do look quite tempting, though the lack of IPv6 deters me personally (they claim to be "working on it", but no ETA); with the clock ticking on Be, I will probably be moving the office line to them when FTTC arrives there in May next year. Home::1 would be good there were it an option, but Office::1 is out of the question, and units-based would just be too hard to predict/control costs, so Zen looks like the winner there.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 04-Jan-14 01:14:41
Print Post

[re: JamesS88] [link to this post]

Another 4 months or so (when my contract is up) and I will probably jump ship to Zen. There are days when I do work from home, and due to the nature of my work, it is possible to chomp up an entire half-unit of allowance in just a single day. If I have to work from home for just 2 days a month, that's one unit gone in hours.

Home::1 doesn't help me either. I average 100-200 Gb a month, which will be £47 or £57 a month respectively (including £12/month line rental).

I'm still averaging 3 units per month (£45.90/month) but even that's increasing now. I can switch to Zen Unlimited Fibre 1 and have no more metering and save £3.46 a month, with their FTTC 40/10 offering at £27/month plus £15.44/month line rental (total £42.44).

No more native IPv6 if I jump to Zen but I'll just bring back a trusty IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric and make do. I don't believe Zen will be doing anything IPv6 related anytime soon. I remember asking them when I was last a customer (6-7 years ago) and they did not commit to anything then, and I see no change in their position regarding IPv6 now based on current forum posts. So best to just accept that and make do with a third-party tunnel and if they ever get around to joining the IPv6 band-wagon, so be it.

If AA could do an unmetered product with roughly the same pricing as Zen, I would most likely stay because, bar the naggy metering, from a technical aspect, they are way beyond any other ISP I have used to date (including Zen). smile

Print Thread

Jump to