User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Nov-15 22:33:48
Print Post

AAISP Under Attack!

[link to this post]

https://aastatus.net/2178

Seems AAISP is under attack, they claim they're being "severely" DOS'd, this has lead to some major issues with packet loss on the network (which I've witnessed myself through BQM's)

Currently their site and BQM services all seem to be offline or not reachable at least... I wonder if the issues yesterday with BT may have also been an attack... maybe this is going to become a new norm.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Nov-15 23:09:41
Print Post

Re: AAISP Under Attack!

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

So that's what has been going on. Thanks for the heads-up.

It seems OK right now, but was a pig most of the evening. So much so I rebooted my laptop, which made no difference, found the same on my iPad so then turned the router off for a bit, to no avail, as my sync was fine.

BQM doesn't look too bad, but this site for instance was crawling, with the Beeb not much cop either. Email client just about gave up.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Nov-15 23:12:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah it seemed to affect routing to certain data centres more than connections themselves from what I'm picking up...

Ass you can see here, it seems they have fought through it now... cue the next I suppose!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Nov-15 23:15:32
Print Post

Yes, at about 10:30 tonight I went and watched Newsnight for a bit. Came back and this is flying again as I expect.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Nov-15 23:24:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Perhaps they are being attacked by GCHQ in retaliation for RevK's opposition to the proposed new bill! tongue

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-15 08:32:13
Print Post

Better now. They probably stopped advertising some subnets to certain peers where the heaviest traffic was coming from and they usually see very little legitimate traffic and shuffled traffic around to spread it between their external capacity.

That's the usual way to do these things.

Either way it's still unusual for ISPs like A&A to be on the receiving end of such attacks due to their size, fortunately.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Nov-15 10:00:44
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

It seems that it's not AA being attacked but a customer and there systems are taking the beating defending that user, however as the redirect traffic it then affects it elsewhere.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-15 11:08:39
Print Post

Just as a pleasant thought essentially crippling AAISP or a bunch of smaller ISPs can be done for $100 and take about 10 minutes.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Nov-15 11:34:24
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Hmmm, yep...

I was just wondering if AA are going to be investigation the user/s under attack and find out why they where under attack... considering the action being taken by certain groups to find and disable the means of potential sources or supporters of certain material online...

It would make sense for someone wanting to do such a thing to use an ISP such as AA.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-15 13:56:27
Print Post

Uk under or launching a cyber attack
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to