User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-16 22:07:10
Print Post

Zyxel router model number VMG1312-B10A

[link to this post]

Every time we get a power cut my Zyxel router drops back to connecting via IPV4. A&A reconfigure the router, we get back to IPV6 and all is well till the next power interruption.
Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Aug-16 22:10:12
Print Post

Re: Zyxel router model number VMG1312-B10A

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

LOL
I have never managed to get an IPv6 connection!! frown

I just haven't had the energy to ask about it. I get allocated a block, but no configuration of this router (via an Openreach HG612) gives me an IPv6 IP address.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Thu 04-Aug-16 09:26:36
Print Post

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

Yes, this is a problem with the ZyXEL routers - we reported it to ZyXEL a year ago or more, but they are very slow or not interested. It's quite disappointing. We're looking for alternatives, but routers at this price point (ie cheap) all have some sort of flaw... Happy to hear success stories with other routers... Our FireBirck router would work perfectly, but that's at a much higher price point,

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Aug-16 13:31:32
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Even though TR-187, the standard for IPv6 Internet access over PPP, was issued back in May 2010, it seems that robust CPE support for this standard is still lacking, sadly.

Worse still, many inexpensive routers do not support baby jumbo packets when bridged, precluding the use of RFC 4638 to get MTU 1500 operation. This certainly was a problem with the VMG1312-B10A, and I wouldn't be surprised if it also affects the VMG1312-B10D that some ISPs are now using. If you want a VDSL2 to Ethernet bridge for Openreach FTTx, you're probably better off with an unlocked HG612.

The upcoming port of pfSense to ARM might well provide a high quality but inexpensive solution. I'd pair the uFW with a HG612 and an inexpensive 8 port Gigabit smart switch to which I could connect any necessary wireless hardware (I'd go for 802.11ac Ubiquiti APs and Ubiquiti controller).

I contributed RFC 4638 support to pfSense 2.3, also I've found and fixed quite a few IPv6 over PPP bugs. In my deployment, IPv6 over Zen FTTC is stable, though there are still a few issues with DHCP-PD from the WAN. I use static prefix delegation, so am not really troubled by this.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to