User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davebruno
(newbie) Mon 19-Sep-16 19:24:48
Print Post

AAISP metered usage and DDoS attacks

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Just signed up for AAISP getting installed on the 7th so quite excited.

I have never been on a metered broadband before so have just been doing some reading up on what to expect. I have read that DDoS attacks can use up my data, is this accurate? If so how fast can they eat it up?

The reason I am going to AAISP is because I play real money wagers and tournaments on CoD PS4 and AAISP has a great reputation for latency and stability. As a competitive player I have been subject to several of these attacks over the years. The worst time they kept my virgin connection down for almost 3 hours and is just something that happens when playing for money..

Am I correct that an external DDoS can use up my data? Is this harder for people to do/likely to stop if I use a ipv6 connection? Can I take any additional measures short of permanently playing on a VPN to avoid this? Any local stuff I can do to stop this kind of attack on my AC68U or anything I can agree with AAISP where they block suspicious high bandwidth use or cut me off if I use over a certain limit in a day?

Thanks for any help, I signed up for 1tb to be on the safe side but really don't want things like this to end up spoiling it!

Cheers,

Dave

Edit:

Just spoke with virgin, my highest month in the past 12 months was 250gb so I think I will be fine on that allowance. My average is only 150gb will virgin include any useage due to DDoS? Am I correct in thinking that unused allowance adds up each month? If so would there be a cheaper viable option that allows some headroom? Its no big deal if not but might be worth avoiding any significant overkill if the allowance carry's over and will soon stockpile up..

Edited by davebruno (Mon 19-Sep-16 19:53:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-16 20:51:10
Print Post

Re: AAISP metered usage and DDoS attacks

[re: davebruno] [link to this post]

If you are under a DDoS then ideally you want your provider to be able to block it upstream, since yes it will count in any allowance.

A VPN while it may help as you can drop the session may well impact on gaming latency.

If you are a constant target of DDoS you may want to discuss mitigation techniques with the provider, though there may be extra costs involved.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 21:29:45
Print Post

Unless your provider can block it at the edge of their network it will cost you. I would be reasonably confident that AAISP would be willing and able to block such an attack.

This is actually why I moved from IDNet to Plusnet. I started to get DNS requests being sent to my IP address. Even though my router ignored them they still came out of my allowance. It wasn't a flood by any means, barely enough of them to register on my TBBQM. But I had to unplug my router half way through the month because I was in danger of exceeding my allowance. If I hadn't done that it could have cost me over fifty quid for just two weeks.

Not that I expect PN support to handle it any better than IDNet (who just shrugged and said I was responsible for all traffic that reached my WAN I/F) but PN is unlimited. In these days of always on connectivity having to switch your router off when you're done with it to stop incoming traffic is a horrible experience. No way do I want to go through that again. Way too much stress.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-Sep-16 21:32:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Tue 20-Sep-16 08:39:30
Print Post

Whilst I can't really go in to too much detail about what we do with DOS attacks here, an attack against a DSL circuit is usually dealt with quite quickly and automatically.Feel free to chat with me in IRC etc...

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User davebruno
(learned) Tue 20-Sep-16 17:18:39
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Thanks for this Andrew, looks like you guys might not be able to sort out my problem with open reach anyway so might end up stuck with Virgin unless open reach actually start to listen :/
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Tue 20-Sep-16 17:50:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by davebruno:
Thanks for this Andrew, looks like you guys might not be able to sort out my problem with open reach anyway so might end up stuck with Virgin unless open reach actually start to listen :/

AAISP have a reputation for kicking Openreach's [censored]. This is the ISP who offer to fix line problems before they supply the service. (and if they can't then you don't pay anything and they take the hit - I believe)

They will sort it, I just know they will.
Standard User davebruno
(learned) Tue 20-Sep-16 18:00:04
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Really hope so! They've escalated it to a senior manager at OR but its just a bit of a headache really I've been wandering around following bt lines and swear my house is the only one showing this error and there are lines that would put me on the correct exchange on every side of my building its just really annoying..
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Tue 20-Sep-16 18:25:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by davebruno:
Really hope so! They've escalated it to a senior manager at OR but its just a bit of a headache really I've been wandering around following bt lines and swear my house is the only one showing this error and there are lines that would put me on the correct exchange on every side of my building its just really annoying..

Well don't do any of that mate, let AA do that for you - after all it's what they are there for.
  Print Thread

Jump to