User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spudgun
(regular) Mon 19-Sep-16 22:13:58
Print Post

Home:1 VDSL Terabyte - Technical questions

[link to this post]

Sorry for asking more questions, but I'm just weighing up some final details before switching FTTC providers and answers to the following would be a big help.

All of these questions relate to the use of TTB as a backhaul rather than the BT based service that I am used to.

1) Is G.Inp still supported (i get approx an extra 8mb since this was enabled on my Huawei cab)
2) What are the connections to the USA like in terms of throughput and reliability as I am signed up to NFL Gamepass and MLB.tv for the streaming of US sports)
3) is there anything unusual about the connection protocol that wouldn't be supported by a HG612 (modem) and Asus AC68U (router) (e.g. like Sky's use of MER)
4) Any ideas as to what TTB routing is like from Gloucestershire (I live within sight of GCHQ in Cheltenham) as I know that some LLU providers (e.g. Zen) route their LLU traffic via the North of the UK first which is very indirect from these parts if the host is in London, the South East or Europe
5) Any issues with VPN use as I will continue to need to access the files on our secure server at work?

Many thanks smile

Spud
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 19-Sep-16 22:53:56
Print Post

Re: Home:1 VDSL Terabyte - Technical questions

[re: Spudgun] [link to this post]

Answers were I can:

1. G.INP only affects the link between the cabinet and your modem. It's down to BT Openreach and has nothing to do with the backhaul provider.
2. Happy to try some traceroutes to compare your existing routing to AAISP if that helps?
3. Standard PPPoE so any VDSL modem or combined modem+router should be OK
4. No idea and I'm not sure how you'd find out.
5. I use Juniper Roam for access to my work VPN and have no issues. AAISP don't filter anything so if a VPN client works on your existing connection it should also work with AA

E&OE of course wink

Edited by ferretuk (Mon 19-Sep-16 22:54:58)

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Tue 20-Sep-16 08:45:43
Print Post

Re: Home:1 VDSL Terabyte - Technical questions

[re: Spudgun] [link to this post]

Just to add to ferretuk's answers...

Our transit to the USA should be good - we're happy to peer with anyone over LINX or LONAP if they have a presence there.

Your HG612 and AC68U should be fine.

Routing from Gloucestershire should be fairly direct to London - our POPs are in London so there shouldn't be any issue there.

VPN would be fine - we don't block any ports or protocols.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to