User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:11:02
Print Post

Re: Single thread congestion.

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
I did try the BT moden into the WAN port of my old Billion 7800N. Rock solid when you can get the WAN configuration sorted, which I could not. Was a right pain last time and cannot remember the exact settings I had. Remember Adam from Pulse8 on the phone trying to help with the settings and it beat us both. I hit on it by luck later, but not this time. I unloaded the Billion VDSL modem router I had as had trouble with latency spiked - An admitted fault. Regret it though.

I could never get it to pick up IPv6 with Billion sat on the phone - it even beat them!
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:13:29
Print Post

But like the days of not needing a tv license to watch satellite tv, they just move the goalposts as they now have done, so license required for catch-up. But they have to catch you. Considering they have no right of entry, NO equipment to trace use, despite claims to the contrary ( A little like the empty detector vans that made folks run out for a license). All they can do is trick folk into admitting use on the doorstep. Not one conviction from the empty detector vans. Bit OT but -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2445153/Are-...

You only need a TV licence to use the Iplayer - have never needed one for any other catchup service.

They send out packets from the Iplayer of say 500bits and then sniff the wifi to see if they can see packets of that size and if so they know you are watching the Iplayer.

I don#t use wifi - everything is powerlined so they have nothing to sniff.

They have no right of way like you say - no more right to enter my house than the postman. On production of a warrant I can delete the IPTV app in a second, and unless they want to prosecute me for watching Amazon Prime they can jog on.

I even got a refund, which I was chuffed about.

I did see a van once with a TVL sticker on - but I am sure that's all it was - Unlike the, say DVLA vans where you can clearly see the ANPR cameras, the TVL vans are just vans.

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 28-Nov-16 12:14:43)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 15:06:41
Print Post

I've just seen they now say that all apps and popular services and they name the ones that they think people will use and therefore will think they need a licence. Trying to apply the loophole in the Iplayer to every catchup service out there.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but, to my knowledge there is no live TV in either Netflix or Amazon Instant Video, the clue being in the name of the latter.

And yet they are 2 that are named as being able to get live TV on the TVL website

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 28-Nov-16 15:07:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 16:17:28
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I'm actually finding that on my line I get fewer errors with the ZyXEL than I did with the HG612!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 17:01:29
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Nice! I did check some of these ZyXEL routers out and I do like the look of one I admit!
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 09:08:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Update- The TP-Link TD-W9980 has proved rock solid compared to the flaky supplied zYxel, though like the zYxel cannot access IPv6 sites, which appears that the fixed IP address is anything but fixed on IPv6.
To cut to the chase, the TP-Link has this morning done a couple of re-syncs and is now at zyXel F1 speed, so time will now tell if the whole caboodle collapses. The problem seems to be, that I have ridiculous high available broadband speed available with all routers at a measured 315 m of copper from the fibre cab. At best I should get around 65Mbps.
http://openspeedtest.com/results/5975028
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5838913283
My AA control page is showing a planned management review for this morning, so will wait and see on all fronts - Crash or stability ??
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:53:28
Print Post

I'll root for Stability smile
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 17:07:47
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Well My TP-Link TD-W is still holding rock solid at a crazy 77.7Mbps sync, Hardly an error in near two days up-time and with a dig and overhead work to do according to my control page. Don't say much for the supplied zyXel, or at least on this line.

Hardware Version:TD-W9980 v1 00000001
System Up Time:1 day(s) 13:22:49
DSL
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2
Annex Type:Annex A/B/L/M
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 19999 77737
Max Rate (Kbps) 22918 75898
SNR Margin (dB) 7 5
Line Attenuation (dB) 20.9 16.3
Errors (Pkts) 442 12
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 17:38:11
Print Post

...with a dig and overhead work to do according to my control page.

"Visit number: 1Type of engineer: SFIAppointment reference number: xxx Notes added for the engineer: Issue - DCNComplete fit new NTE and RF3 (not SSFP)Replace D & E Sides to best possible pairs.Renew drop wire if applicable to EUComplete L&S or if new ties available, complete TPM. If more time required, get auth from OR HelpdeskPrevious work carried out (if applicable): n/a"

You might be interested in the above notes added by an ISP for a SFI visit that I had a few years ago - "E Sides" will possibly not apply to your reported fault though?
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 18:07:37
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

A55 ordered according to my AA control page. Looks like they are picking up the underground earth fault Pulse8 would not keep chasing, saying in the end the job had dropped off the system. Job number still nailed to last pole here since last August.
Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to