User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:01:17
Print Post

Re: Single thread congestion.

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
Pleased with AA response - Have put this line into the hands of BT already, which was the sole reason for choosing them - Got nowhere with this line for a long time now, so fingers crossed for a fix. If other suppliers had done the same, I could have saved lots of moves and expense.

Well Id imagine they would get the job done. They have a switch and fix offer as well I think (that's what I call it) takes some balls to do that
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:02:48
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I might be wrong - but as UHD is around 35mbps (or so I am told) then it wouldn't take long to hit it at a few hours a day streaming?

Depends on the source but for example a Youtube 4K video is compressed to about an average of 22Mbps VBR.

Ah right - yes I was getting mixed up with what my TV was saying I could stream and what I was actually streaming.

I have a lot of IPTV stuff on my TV which is all at 4K as well as the usual apps for catch up etc.. I am sure I could get all my usage under 1TB as most is/was done off site. I could even get away with the 2TB service if needed.

Thanks for the clarification though, it's appreciated smile

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 22-Nov-16 16:03:55)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:18:06
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Generally I believe the compression guidelines for 4k video uploads to such sites as Youtube recommend a bit rate between 30Mbps and 60Mbps and it's certainly possible that some streaming sources do actually re-compress to 35Mbps smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Arksun76
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:32:51
Print Post

Watch some of the 4K 60FPS videos on Youtube if you really wanna test your connection speed laugh
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:59:08
Print Post

[re: Arksun76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Arksun76:
Watch some of the 4K 60FPS videos on Youtube if you really wanna test your connection speed laugh

This one has a nice woman in it - win! smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVgnzDbkO8
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:59:13
Print Post

[re: Arksun76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Arksun76:

Yes the frame rate is also an additional issue smile
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:12:09
Print Post

You need to look for movies shot in Native 4K - Many are just up-scaled.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:14:06
Print Post

Plays beautifully now my line fixed - Buffer well ahead of the play point.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:22:34
Print Post

Well - My line has been trouble for a long long while on anything BTW based - Perfect on Uno TTB LLU apart from no FTTC lol
Anyway - Ticket to AAISP this morning and straight into the hands of BT...... Engineer at cab in an hour or two, were probably well kicked by AA on a new install. End result, No single thread congestion for the first time in ages - Fingers crossed for real peak time later, but was bad round the clock recently. Other ISPs had the opportunity to do the same, but not doing so caused me lots of moves and expense. All the disconnections have lost me 10Mbps but can make do with 50 for a while Lol
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 17:23:16)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:26:30
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
You need to look for movies shot in Native 4K - Many are just up-scaled.

That is irrelevant except in terms of quality: if a 1080p video has been rescaled to 2160p and encoded with a bit rate of between 30Mbps and 60mbps and uploaded the streaming source will treat the video as 4k and re-encode/compress it normally, e.g approx 22Mbps in the case of Youtube.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to