User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Nov-16 20:04:50
Print Post

Single thread congestion.

[link to this post]

Switched to AAISP FTTC at around 4:00pm this afternoon - Lots of router resets and bad single thread congestion, so still cannot stream 4K without buffering! - Evening single thread congestion followed me, so will have to get exchange congestion checked out!
http://postimg.org/image/a2wmsldrv/
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Nov-16 21:37:34
Print Post

Re: Single thread congestion.

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Its unlikely to be an aaisp issue, report it and I expect they will get onto BT wholesale to fix (or talktalk if you on talktalk backhaul).

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Nov-16 22:45:11
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yes, though I know someone else on AA suffering. Will wait and see what daytime speeds are like, though kids off school now, which caused daytime slowdown on my previous service.

Edited by professor973 (Mon 21-Nov-16 22:47:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Tue 22-Nov-16 09:10:55
Print Post

We'll have lots of monitoring etc, so do get intouch

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 11:45:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Switched to AAISP FTTC at around 4:00pm this afternoon - Lots of router resets and bad single thread congestion, so still cannot stream 4K without buffering! - Evening single thread congestion followed me, so will have to get exchange congestion checked out!
http://postimg.org/image/a2wmsldrv/

I have considered them also but please do let me know how you get on. I am worried that with the amount of streaming 4K and otherwise I would soon hit the TB limit.

I might be wrong - but as UHD is around 35mbps (or so I am told) then it wouldn't take long to hit it at a few hours a day streaming?
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 12:27:12
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Been in touch and AA hands problem to BT, which shows my choice of ISP is good - Action at last. Just dumped the supplied router as continually restarting and finally went crazy - TBB brought up the router page. Put my TP-Link TD-W9980 in line now and actually have BB for the first time in an hour or two. Pleased with AA response but not my BQM, which shows the router flapping like a chicken with its neck wrung lol
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/42b41c7ad56...

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 12:32:54)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 12:29:24
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Pleased with AA response - Have put this line into the hands of BT already, which was the sole reason for choosing them - Got nowhere with this line for a long time now, so fingers crossed for a fix. If other suppliers had done the same, I could have saved lots of moves and expense.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 12:30:26)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 12:51:17
Print Post

Update..... Not sure if the engineer at cab an hour or two ago, or my router change, but running nicely with the expected loss of original speed. Looking like it was the router. Initially sites reported full IPv6 capability, but after it rebooted, IPv4 only. Test will be this evening, but for now, buffer free native 4K streaming!
http://postimg.org/image/89r0jkbgb/

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 13:07:40)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 14:43:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I might be wrong - but as UHD is around 35mbps (or so I am told) then it wouldn't take long to hit it at a few hours a day streaming?

Depends on the source but for example a Youtube 4K video is compressed to about an average of 22Mbps VBR.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 15:21:05
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Yes, one like this is 2160p, Which is lower quality I think, though classed as 4K. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRxJAr1mYqI

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 15:32:44)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:01:17
Print Post

Pleased with AA response - Have put this line into the hands of BT already, which was the sole reason for choosing them - Got nowhere with this line for a long time now, so fingers crossed for a fix. If other suppliers had done the same, I could have saved lots of moves and expense.

Well Id imagine they would get the job done. They have a switch and fix offer as well I think (that's what I call it) takes some balls to do that
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:02:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:

Depends on the source but for example a Youtube 4K video is compressed to about an average of 22Mbps VBR.

Ah right - yes I was getting mixed up with what my TV was saying I could stream and what I was actually streaming.

I have a lot of IPTV stuff on my TV which is all at 4K as well as the usual apps for catch up etc.. I am sure I could get all my usage under 1TB as most is/was done off site. I could even get away with the 2TB service if needed.

Thanks for the clarification though, it's appreciated smile

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 22-Nov-16 16:03:55)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:18:06
Print Post

Generally I believe the compression guidelines for 4k video uploads to such sites as Youtube recommend a bit rate between 30Mbps and 60Mbps and it's certainly possible that some streaming sources do actually re-compress to 35Mbps smile
Standard User Arksun76
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:32:51
Print Post

Watch some of the 4K 60FPS videos on Youtube if you really wanna test your connection speed laugh
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:59:08
Print Post

[re: Arksun76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Arksun76:
Watch some of the 4K 60FPS videos on Youtube if you really wanna test your connection speed laugh

This one has a nice woman in it - win! smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVgnzDbkO8
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:59:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Arksun76:

Yes the frame rate is also an additional issue smile
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:12:09
Print Post

You need to look for movies shot in Native 4K - Many are just up-scaled.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:14:06
Print Post

Plays beautifully now my line fixed - Buffer well ahead of the play point.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:22:34
Print Post

Well - My line has been trouble for a long long while on anything BTW based - Perfect on Uno TTB LLU apart from no FTTC lol
Anyway - Ticket to AAISP this morning and straight into the hands of BT...... Engineer at cab in an hour or two, were probably well kicked by AA on a new install. End result, No single thread congestion for the first time in ages - Fingers crossed for real peak time later, but was bad round the clock recently. Other ISPs had the opportunity to do the same, but not doing so caused me lots of moves and expense. All the disconnections have lost me 10Mbps but can make do with 50 for a while Lol
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 17:23:16)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:26:30
Print Post

You need to look for movies shot in Native 4K - Many are just up-scaled.

That is irrelevant except in terms of quality: if a 1080p video has been rescaled to 2160p and encoded with a bit rate of between 30Mbps and 60mbps and uploaded the streaming source will treat the video as 4k and re-encode/compress it normally, e.g approx 22Mbps in the case of Youtube.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:38:08
Print Post

WOW! That's an improvement.

The big hike in latency, which looks rather like 8ms, is the typical increase when interleaving is turned on on FTTC. Looking at your line prior to that, it seems likely.

The first step of interleaving tends to cost about 10Mbps downstream sync.

One of two things should happen at an indeterminate time in the future. Either it will revert to Fast Path or G.INP will be implemented n your line. In both instances the latency will drop by 8ms and the 10Mbps regained. Though latency can change independently of this as well, probably depending on the routing each time you connect a PPPoE session.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:58:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes Bob, as has often been stated here - It's when thing go wrong that you gauge value. Up to FTTC and only £1:50 more than having Aquiss ADSL2+ and line. Saved that on P8 calls.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 18:01:43
Print Post

What is actually relevant to my point, is that up-scaling is never the quality of Native 4K. All of which is a tad off topic, but was the reason for my FTTC!
http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/upscaled-1080P-vs-4K

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 18:02:19)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 18:27:00
Print Post

Some 4K/60 http://stafaband.zone/song/Z6lYqgWAmrgs/samsung_uhd_...
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 19:27:36
Print Post

Looks like AAISP have nailed my problem first day. Peak time speed test while playing online poker and running a Skype chat with someone else on the table - Not a sign of single thread problems. I know I can ruffle the feathers of those ISPs that say it's not their problem, but talking chalk and cheese here.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 19:30:13)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 20:22:17
Print Post

Of course .... 4K is Soo yesterday's news. With that in mind, I ignored the "Highest quality on Youtube" claim to some 4K media, and pointed the telly at some 8K/60.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUdY5P0VJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60lQg74Jmk

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 20:25:50)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 20:45:48
Print Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEslzneavko looks like 4320p slowed down to 22fps - I'm not sure what that guy is attempting to demonstrate with his uploads...

"22fps slowed for increase simple image quality
1700MB data on youtube server
49.2Mbit average on server
easy possible to run 2x, faster, you have 100Mbit...
Original video:
170Mbit, 8K 60FPS"
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Tue 22-Nov-16 20:51:20
Print Post

Looks like AAISP have nailed my problem first day.

Before I joined them, I had 2 different ISPs saying "we can't do anything" with regarding to my poor line speed.

1st week with AAISP, they ID'ed the issue, kicked BT ass to do some work. That involved a new line from pole to my house, and drop line to the master socket.

Speed improved instantly. Was worth it.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-16 21:14:28
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Well worth it. Folks here have seen an Enta supplier like others tell me it's "Not an Enta problem", only to find later others had a single thread congestion problem. That's no good to us when it's an Openreach problem and we are not allowed to contact them. Many are getting a poor deal from ISPs and it's not always the cheapo ones, for instance Pulse8 were always ready to call out an Engineer to try and sort my line problem I had. Just a pity it took nine of the devils before the bad joint was found. None of the test this and test that with AA. Their monitors seemed to have spotted the problem straight away.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 22-Nov-16 21:16:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Nov-16 23:49:14
Print Post

Don't tempt fate! tongue

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 00:10:32
Print Post

Well someone can delete that as well!
(isp) Wed 23-Nov-16 08:54:48
Print Post

I'm glad it working well now!

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 09:16:35
Print Post

So am I Andrew and thank you. Folks here have seen me struggle with four or five suppliers with this line. The answer from many was 'Nothing we can do'. When we cannot contact Openreach direct, it's hardly good enough.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 11:01:15
Print Post

Nice!

Now let me know how the usage goes please. I would (personally) just pay the £10 and have the line with AA too (i don't want use or need calls on the line) and then it's all with them if anything needs doing

Sounds like they have kicked ass again smile
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 11:02:27
Print Post

Looks like AAISP have nailed my problem first day. Peak time speed test while playing online poker and running a Skype chat with someone else on the table - Not a sign of single thread problems. I know I can ruffle the feathers of those ISPs that say it's not their problem, but talking chalk and cheese here.

As I found out with Talk Talk Business - gotta love their TTB network! smile
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 11:03:13
Print Post

Of course .... 4K is Soo yesterday's news. With that in mind, I ignored the "Highest quality on Youtube" claim to some 4K media, and pointed the telly at some 8K/60.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUdY5P0VJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60lQg74Jmk

Both buffer so smooth for me it's unreal smile
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 11:06:07
Print Post

So am I Andrew and thank you. Folks here have seen me struggle with four or five suppliers with this line. The answer from many was 'Nothing we can do'. When we cannot contact Openreach direct, it's hardly good enough.

Amen to that. Sure seen enough to be glad finally someone took it on and sorted it smile
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 12:34:59
Print Post

It may sound cruel to say they were the last resort, but I felt by their reputation, they were the only ones that would chase Openreach.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 12:42:42
Print Post

Yep - Should be a pointer to those with problems that think them expensive.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 12:51:41
Print Post

My el-eheapo Hisense 4K handles them strangely enough. Fed by my other gaming machine in the lounge. This bedroom gamer on a standard monitor plays them so you get an idea if no 4K.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdhcDlKw_zA
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 14:18:32
Print Post

I have a LG Smart TV and it also seems to play it fine - which is also odd. But I think the video is not true 8K?
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-16 14:35:09
Print Post

Does this video play OK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvqA6zAwsUs at 2160p 60fps?
Standard User legume
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-16 15:02:30
Print Post

Remember with youtube, google will code many variants and you may not know which one you are playing.

Additionally what the uploader says the vid is may end up being wrong after the recodes.

youtubedl --list-formats for the 2 8K60p doesn't actually list any 60 fps versions ....

youtube-dl --list-formats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60lQg74Jmk
[youtube] C60lQg74Jmk: Downloading webpage
[youtube] C60lQg74Jmk: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] C60lQg74Jmk: Extracting video information
[youtube] C60lQg74Jmk: Downloading MPD manifest
[info] Available formats for C60lQg74Jmk:
format code extension resolution note
249 webm audio only DASH audio 4k , opus @ 50k (48000Hz), 181.13KiB
250 webm audio only DASH audio 4k , opus @ 70k (48000Hz), 181.13KiB
251 webm audio only DASH audio 4k , opus @160k (48000Hz), 181.13KiB
171 webm audio only DASH audio 6k , vorbis@128k (44100Hz), 125.95KiB
140 m4a audio only DASH audio 127k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@128k (44100Hz), 6.19MiB
278 webm 256x144 DASH video 97k , webm container, vp9, 30fps, video only, 4.40MiB
160 mp4 256x144 DASH video 113k , avc1.4d400c, 30fps, video only, 5.41MiB
242 webm 426x240 DASH video 226k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 9.98MiB
133 mp4 426x240 DASH video 247k , avc1.4d4015, 30fps, video only, 11.95MiB
243 webm 640x360 DASH video 410k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 18.60MiB
134 mp4 640x360 DASH video 637k , avc1.4d401e, 30fps, video only, 24.82MiB
244 webm 854x480 DASH video 757k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 34.79MiB
135 mp4 854x480 DASH video 1175k , avc1.4d401f, 30fps, video only, 51.70MiB
247 webm 1280x720 DASH video 1511k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 69.39MiB
136 mp4 1280x720 DASH video 2350k , avc1.4d401f, 30fps, video only, 103.83MiB
248 webm 1920x1080 DASH video 2655k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 121.78MiB
137 mp4 1920x1080 DASH video 4417k , avc1.640028, 30fps, video only, 194.34MiB
271 webm 2560x1440 DASH video 9239k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 403.53MiB
264 mp4 2560x1440 DASH video 10583k , avc1.640032, 30fps, video only, 451.19MiB
313 webm 3840x2160 DASH video 18628k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 859.56MiB
266 mp4 3840x2160 DASH video 23465k , avc1.640033, 30fps, video only, 884.62MiB
272 webm 8192x4608 DASH video 29717k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 842.02MiB
138 mp4 8192x4608 DASH video 89923k , avc1.640033, 30fps, video only, 3.16GiB
17 3gp 176x144 small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2@ 24k
36 3gp 320x180 small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2
43 webm 640x360 medium , vp8.0, vorbis@128k
18 mp4 640x360 medium , avc1.42001E, mp4a.40.2@ 96k
22 mp4 1280x720 hd720 , avc1.64001F, mp4a.40.2@192k (best)

youtube-dl --list-formats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUdY5P0VJA
[youtube] VXUdY5P0VJA: Downloading webpage
[youtube] VXUdY5P0VJA: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] VXUdY5P0VJA: Extracting video information
[youtube] VXUdY5P0VJA: Downloading MPD manifest
[info] Available formats for VXUdY5P0VJA:
format code extension resolution note
249 webm audio only DASH audio 58k , opus @ 50k (48000Hz), 1.23MiB
250 webm audio only DASH audio 84k , opus @ 70k (48000Hz), 1.67MiB
171 webm audio only DASH audio 128k , vorbis@128k (44100Hz), 2.83MiB
140 m4a audio only DASH audio 128k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@128k (44100Hz), 3.04MiB
251 webm audio only DASH audio 166k , opus @160k (48000Hz), 3.33MiB
160 mp4 256x144 DASH video 111k , avc1.42c00c, 15fps, video only, 2.61MiB
278 webm 256x144 DASH video 117k , webm container, vp9, 30fps, video only, 2.25MiB
133 mp4 426x240 DASH video 264k , avc1.4d4015, 30fps, video only, 5.86MiB
242 webm 426x240 DASH video 272k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 5.09MiB
243 webm 640x360 DASH video 476k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 9.56MiB
134 mp4 640x360 DASH video 607k , avc1.4d401e, 30fps, video only, 12.33MiB
244 webm 854x480 DASH video 847k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 17.64MiB
135 mp4 854x480 DASH video 1111k , avc1.4d401f, 30fps, video only, 24.14MiB
247 webm 1280x720 DASH video 1648k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 35.15MiB
136 mp4 1280x720 DASH video 2229k , avc1.4d401f, 30fps, video only, 49.50MiB
248 webm 1920x1080 DASH video 3028k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 61.58MiB
137 mp4 1920x1080 DASH video 4202k , avc1.640028, 30fps, video only, 95.68MiB
264 mp4 2560x1440 DASH video 10034k , avc1.640032, 30fps, video only, 224.03MiB
271 webm 2560x1440 DASH video 10296k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 197.86MiB
313 webm 3840x2160 DASH video 22357k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 419.26MiB
266 mp4 3840x2160 DASH video 22368k , avc1.640033, 30fps, video only, 473.63MiB
138 mp4 7680x4320 DASH video 31967k , avc1.640033, 30fps, video only, 589.88MiB
272 webm 7680x4320 DASH video 37098k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 405.70MiB
17 3gp 176x144 small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2@ 24k
36 3gp 320x180 small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2
43 webm 640x360 medium , vp8.0, vorbis@128k
18 mp4 640x360 medium , avc1.42001E, mp4a.40.2@ 96k
22 mp4 1280x720 hd720 , avc1.64001F, mp4a.40.2@192k (best)
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 15:16:36
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

Cheers for the info - interesting smile
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-16 16:15:08
Print Post

Just tried after getting back home and plays OK
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 16:58:37
Print Post

As I said - the TTB network is really rather good and with AAISP you have (in my view) the best of both worlds smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Nov-16 17:25:52
Print Post

I think he is on WBMC.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-16 18:19:07
Print Post

If you can stream and play, without frame drop, 4k at 60fps that's great news smile

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 23-Nov-16 18:20:28)

(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-16 19:05:54
Print Post

For those with slow broadband, they can always download the 4K movie then watch.
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodow...
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 19:10:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think he is on WBMC.

Ah fair enough, I thought AAISP were TT only - oops!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Nov-16 19:30:41
Print Post

Seeing as even on the clearly TTB terabyte products the line rental is optional, and other supplier's lines can be used, I'd be fairly sure that is SMPF. Maybe if you take their line it is MPF but I don't know.

The OP has specifically said a few times his line is with Pulse8, like mine. Definitely WLR3.

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 21:42:49
Print Post

I honestly didn't know that how it all works.

Is it worth the P8 line when AA do one themselves?

I see it's £6 a month with P8 but £10 for AA.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 21:46:36
Print Post

Isn't the 49.50 migration fee a bit steep? No contract or otherwise considering what they pay is it fair they charge 3 times as much?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Nov-16 22:00:02
Print Post

Pulse8 phone is £6 when bundled with Pulse8 broadband. Without Pulse8broadband it is £13. In both cases it is an active phone line with negligible call costs.

AAISP £10 has no landline phone service on it. Though you can have VOIP.

Some people still want or need a landline phone.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Nov-16 22:04:27
Print Post

Isn't the 49.50 migration fee a bit steep? No contract or otherwise considering what they pay is it fair they charge 3 times as much?
You want FTTC on a monthly contract, that's the deal. Take it or leave it. Plenty take it.

It used to be free but it was abused by people getting a free upgrade to FTTC from ADSLx then leaving after a month. Leaving P8 having paid out rather more to Openreach than they ever got from the customer.

"Clever people" killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 22:09:42
Print Post

That is a fair point.

I wouldn't need a landline. So I believe the copper pair that AA does would be fine.

I guess it's the compromise until something comes along apart from Virgin which does not need a landline.

Got to replace my backup so just deciding who.
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-16 23:27:55
Print Post

Will do - Single thread speed this evening not only perfect, but slightly faster than multi-thread - First for me!
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 23:53:40
Print Post

That's very impressive smile
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 10:01:59
Print Post

Update ... In less than two days 57Gb left out of 100! - Just a few 4K demos but do have a Skype link running most of the time when I am down south alone - To keep an eye on poorly partner. Will lay off the 4K till end of month and monitor usage, but cannot see 100Gb anywhere near enough, as also just signed up to a good Black Friday Amazon Prime deal for the year. That gives me movies, which I can always watch on Putlocker anyway, even the Queen. Main reason for sign up, was the free next day delivery and the fortune I will save over the year on Amazon delivery charges. Of course, I will still browse and watch things of interest on Amazon Video, which may be better streams than some I watch. Amazon Black Friday deals finish Friday. £20 off Prime.
Edit- Confirmation of the Engineer I saw at my cab 3 hours after submitting ticket to AA at 8:00am ish. http://postimg.org/image/qf4klk5ff/

Edited by professor973 (Thu 24-Nov-16 10:11:42)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:46:13
Print Post

Ah you are on the 100GB, I would have thought the 1TB would have suited you better?

That said it's £35 vs £60 - even 300GB is £55 so I guess it depends where your demand lies.

Edit: I like that log - it's nice to see transparent accountability from an ISP for a change - not hidden or very hard to find like some do.

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 24-Nov-16 12:50:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 15:53:55
Print Post

The TB service is TT Business. He specifically wanted WBMC.

But the increase to 150GB per month starting next Thursday is great. See the new thread by mixt.

(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:21:54
Print Post

Hi Bob - Is the 150Gb for everyone on 100GB. remembered I downloaded two 4K vids and had a 4K log fire on the big screen in the lounge for quite some time last night smile Only money. Just back from a £1700+ quote for Honda CRV driveshafts !
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:45:02
Print Post

Info I've not had from any ISP - But then AA hook all accounts to full Firebrick monitoring - Part of the cost that some moan about I expect, but nice problems are spotted quickly without the test this and test that, we have for weeks on end sometimes with some.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:49:48
Print Post

Missed that one so thanks for pointing it out - that will help a bit prof smile

Now they need to do something with the 1TB even if it's 1.5TB for a mid point and that would help too smile
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:50:37
Print Post

Yes - the cheapo's just use fail8re or whatever it's called.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 17:06:17
Print Post

Excellent information here http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-ttbt.html (it would be great if all ISP's gave such info) however I did notice this: "Please do bear in mind that our terms allow us to make technical changes to the service, which includes changing the carrier used for your line." Does that mean that one could be moved from TTB SMPF to BTw (or vice versa) during a FTTC 6 month contract?
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 17:10:51
Print Post

Sounds like it
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 17:21:48
Print Post

I would hope they cannot push folks over to TTB without warning then, in which case, I would be off however good they are, though it seems it's usually for those with two lines.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 17:25:14
Print Post

Sounds like it

So if for example the BTw FTTC service proved unsatisfactory then A-A could have the end user switched to TTB FTTC SMPF at the exchange...
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 17:39:41
Print Post

I would hope they cannot push folks over to TTB without warning then, in which case, I would be off however good they are, though it seems it's usually for those with two lines.

Well if there is any work done at the exchange then I would imagine there would be loss of sync for a period of time and there would be a prior notification to the end user regarding that...
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 19:10:02
Print Post

As most try to do it overnight to minimise downtime I would doubt they would notify unless it was planned.
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:19:25
Print Post

I see no difference to when the Post Office switched from White Label BTW to TTB. It was a Case of your contract is with us and who supplies us is no business of yours. In other words like it or on yer bike!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:22:38
Print Post

Same with all ISPs really.

(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:29:12
Print Post

Getting back to 4K usage - http://gizmodo.com/you-can-burn-through-your-entire-...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:42:04
Print Post

You'll just have to diet wink. But not as much as you thought.

I see they now do 250GB and 350GB at an extra £10pm each. (That extra 50GB only from 1 Dec of course). Base price now complicated by including the £10 raw DSL line rental so now we have to mentally subtract it. (Thank you Ofcom/ASA. Not!)

One of those might be worth considering for you?

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:53:59
Print Post

Getting back to 4K usage - http://gizmodo.com/you-can-burn-through-your-entire-...

I have read that with the H.265 codec it's possible to compress 8k 24fps video at approx 15Mbps and get very good results - obviously it's possible to calculate a video's file size based on it's overall average bit rate (which includes audio) and it's duration.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 22:32:20
Print Post

Glad I don't have one then smile I've just used 50GB watching some Marvel's stuff in 4K
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 10:22:47
Print Post

Connection still flapping about a little, but looks like they are still working on it.
http://postimg.org/image/p84eykjgb/

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Nov-16 10:53:32
Print Post

I assume you're having issues on the copper part of your connection, once AAISP get these fixed for good, it might be worth transferring to their TTB based Home::1 package (1TB allowance) because AAISP recently upgraded their TTB backhaul links to 10gb/s so plenty of bandwidth on their TTB network - of course that's on the basis that TT have LLU'd your fibre head end exchange.

See here & here for more info.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.63_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 25-Nov-16 11:00:32)

(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:25:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Well - Just had an Openreach engineer visit. Line tests out OK on the phone side, so he has to walk away as they have always done. This is despite seeing my firebrick monitoring and re-syncing all over the place in the early hours with no real usage. He says my provider May chase up a FTTC fault. It's not FTTC specific and a problem for 18 months. OR once diagnosed an earth fault near last pole, but the walkway chamber, 15m of duct and pole junction box just dropped off the job sheet.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:35:04
Print Post

Well you're with the right ISP, if AAISP can't get your line issues fixed through BT/OR then pretty much no ISP can. Good luck!

TalkTalk Business 80/20
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:37:11
Print Post

If only I could have got LLU FTTC with Uno
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 12:14:02
Print Post

I guess your address didn't fit their customer base.Like mine didn't

There is still no reason why my address couldn't get it - All the reasons they give on their website are totally wrong.

Must be nice to pick and choose your customers, or at least to be so rich you don't care if custom is being turned down.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 12:33:00
Print Post

Must be nice to pick and choose your customers, or at least to be so rich you don't care if custom is being turned down.
If that is what is happening in your case. You have said this repeatedly, but you have no proof whatsoever. It is also clear that high usage is not causing professor973 to be rejected, as he doesn't use anything like you do. I doubt if he has ever reached 1TB in the past. In particular when on ADSL2+ with uno.

I would expect that any ISP with you as a customer makes a significant loss on the deal smile.

Sky, TalkTalk and BT, even probably Plusnet, have literally millions of customers using under 100GB per month. Your usage spread across what they pay for is easily absorbed. Big ISPs are more interested in user count than micro-profitability.

(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:20:51
Print Post

Just to contradict us - My page showing 150Gb for this month!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:27:49
Print Post

Which page, jammy blighter?

(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:34:37
Print Post

This one young man! - Not added the 50Gb though - getting ready for next month I expect!
http://postimg.org/image/bjjtj6y63/

Edited by professor973 (Fri 25-Nov-16 15:34:21)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:49:53
Print Post

If that is what is happening in your case. You have said this repeatedly, but you have no proof whatsoever. It is also clear that high usage is not causing professor973 to be rejected, as he doesn't use anything like you do. I doubt if he has ever reached 1TB in the past. In particular when on ADSL2+ with uno.

I would expect that any ISP with you as a customer makes a significant loss on the deal smile.

Sky, TalkTalk and BT, even probably Plusnet, have literally millions of customers using under 100GB per month. Your usage spread across what they pay for is easily absorbed. Big ISPs are more interested in user count than micro-profitability.

I bet they would, but you've never asked me how I do my usage - I always thought I was a considerate customer, shifting all my USENET usage etc to external sources.

I did do 16TB+ 2 months in a row to see if BT said anything, and they didn't but since then my adverage is about 400GB a month. Now I have a 4K TV it's hitting around 700-800 a month - so 1TB would be fine.

Who do I send the proof too? The 4 things UNO says are the reason I can't have service, as far as I know don';t exist.

I dont' have a new line
I don't have a non BT line
I have the backhaul at my exchange
I don't have anything on my line that would make it incompatible or stop them checking.

Sent all this to Matt and never got a reply. I keep all e-mails so that's easy to prove..

My dad's exchange can get it - and it's a tiny one with BT and talk talk. - mine is massive and has many providers, but no cigar.

Sorry but it frustrates the hell out of me, BUT now I actually know what my monthly usage is all in I know AA is a good backup line - and so I am going to order that later on.
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:50:06
Print Post

With so much info, it's interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes when we have a fault. An example of the famous OR bum-kick from AA.
http://postimg.org/image/5hc6sp9q3/
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:54:00
Print Post

We're currently not able to offer you this service

Your exchange or cabinet is not currently enabled for the service. - both false

You have a new phone line - please wait a few days and try again. 10 years old

You have a service on your phone line that prevents us from checking it. - nope

You have a non-BT compatible phone line such as from Sky or Virgin. BT line, always has been.

So what do you suggest?
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:59:23
Print Post

With so much info, it's interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes when we have a fault. An example of the famous OR bum-kick from AA.

Yup - they are good smile
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 15:00:31
Print Post

This one young man! - Not added the 50Gb though - getting ready for next month I expect!
http://postimg.org/image/410oak6t7/

As I read that - it's usable too.for this month Or isn't it?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 15:18:15
Print Post

See PM in a mo.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 16:03:18
Print Post

An SFI is required, that seems quite normal if "voice" testing checked out OK - your broadband issue will be escalated and any good ISP would request that.

Are you still using only the test socket, perhaps with a dangle filter for a single corded phone?
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 16:39:20
Print Post

Filtration has no danglies for years. Pulse8 ordered many so called Special Faults Engineers. Each one that turned up said there is no such thing "We all do everything" - My problem is neither FTTC OR ADSL2+ specific. A perfect service while on TTB LLU proved no problem from me to exchange. Line checked out OK - NO external wiring, so personally I don't see what the next engineer is going to achieve by another visit here. The problem is the BT supply somewhere as far as I can see or an exchange equipment fault. Though they will not chenge cards etc at the exchange - Special dispensation and all that - Been there tried that when P8 was sure of exchange gear fault. Always at the mercy of OR
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 16:57:47
Print Post

Yes unfortunately there is no guarantee that a SFI can fix the issue. I had an SFI visit a few years ago when I had issues with Plusnet BTw ADSL2+ and eventually the only fix was to migrate to xilo TTB SMPF ADSL2+.
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 18:21:15
Print Post

Yes - TTB LLU with Uno has been the only time I avoided this problem. The same via Pulse8 was still a problem. Matt at Uno explained it by Uno routing differently, so it's just pot luck for us punters I think. AA are kicking OR, but OR are the real problem.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 18:30:24
Print Post

Can you not get a service over some other LLU or stuck in contract?
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 18:36:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Only just joined AA and they are the only ones that will really kick OR. Up a blind alley really. been round and round and was glad to get back to a BTW based line in a way, at least the system recognises the number, something BT can do when it suits.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 19:06:15
Print Post

AA are kicking OR, but OR are the real problem.

Best of luck with SFI...seems like VDSL is not happy with your copper pair from premises to cabinet - this may have been partially overcome by interleaving?
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 21:03:36
Print Post

Single Thread starting to play up again.
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 09:29:40
Print Post

Update ... The single thread episode was short lived. That said, my connection went mental just after midnight. Disconnections every minute or two and speed flapping up and down like a see saw. My thought then, was to revert to the BT approved Zyxel AAISP supplied and configured router, despite how bad it was initially, especially as I may have a so called SFI turn up - A couple of re-syscs on from that, my available speed jumped up 13Mbps to near 66Mbps - about 2Mbps short of the 68Mbps I had initially last time I had FTTC. Also, wonder of wonders, it has stayed stable overnight. Obviously some auto adjustments overnight and wonder if G.INP has been applied, though my minimum latency is about the same. Either way - Fingers crossed and leaving hardware well alone for a while.
This apparent DLM brainstorm has been the problem all along with BTW services. To my mind, if DLM decides because of errors, noise ot whatever to slow things, surely it should keep things at that new speed for a while - Not keep flapping up and down every minute or two by many Mbps. To my mind, it's a cab/exchange equipment problem. A view that was shared by Pulse8 when with them. But suggesting changing a line card or whatever at the exchange sends OR engineers ballistic. Apparently it needs special dispensation from somewhere deep within the bowels of Openreach. Anyway - image of after midnight adjustments. The fact that the far higher speed is holding, suggests to me no serious noise on my line.

https://postimg.org/image/pg5u0aykb/

http://openspeedtest.com/results/5891304

Edited by professor973 (Sat 26-Nov-16 09:33:13)

(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 09:45:11
Print Post

update - Yet another auto adjustment and even MORE speed !
https://postimg.org/image/wncktafsr/
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 10:38:30
Print Post

Re: Single thread congestion. *DELETED*

Post deleted by jelv
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 10:40:38
Print Post

I've recently switched from the OR supplied HG612 to the AAISP supplied ZyXEL. I was getting a resync most days with the HG612 (I know what it was - the central heating hot water reaching the correct temperature). I'm not getting any with the ZyXEL so that suggests the ZyXEL is good at holding sync.

Can I suggest you download and run DSLstats which will record and give you graphs of how the connection is running: http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/index.html

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 13:32:59
Print Post

But suggesting changing a line card or whatever at the exchange sends OR engineers ballistic. Apparently it needs special dispensation from somewhere deep within the bowels of Openreach.

The SFI that worked on my line a few years ago had full authority to enter the exchange and work on equipment there also - the job took several hours and he kept me fully informed, via mobile phone, about his checks at the cab and the work at the exchange whilst the line was down.

Please be patient and keep the A&A supplied modem connected to the test socket continuously.
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 15:09:52
Print Post

Only problem with the supplied AA router. The second you plug it back in, G.INP straight back on - Stupid high speeds, errors and re-syncs make it unusable most of the time.
============================================================================
VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 0 day: 0 hour: 15 minutes
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 20.063 Mbps 61.328 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 19.999 Mbps 61.218 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 7.2 dB 6.4 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 8 ms
Transmit Power: 7.1 dBm 12.6 dBm
Receive Power: -8.4 dBm -4.3 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 15.5 dB 16.9 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 22.812 Mbps 73.701 Mbps
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 5.9 22.9 34.0 N/A 11.1 26.8 46.4
Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.9 22.3 33.1 N/A 13.0 26.5 46.4
SNR Margin(dB): 7.2 7.2 7.2 N/A 6.4 6.4 6.4
Transmit Power(dBm):- 2.6 -20.5 6.6 N/A 8.5 8.0 6.9

VDSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
Since Link time = 15 min 21 sec
FEC: 17040389 2
CRC: 7399 1
ES: 805 1
SES: 0 0
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Latest 15 minutes time = 60 sec
FEC: 1185566 0
CRC: 431 0
ES: 51 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC: 15854823 2
CRC: 6968 1
ES: 754 1
UAS: 38 38
Latest 1 day time = 16 min 0 sec
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
FEC: 0 0
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 0
Total time = 16 min 0 sec
Standard User clivers
(regular) Sat 26-Nov-16 18:51:05
Print Post

Post deleted by MrSaffron
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 20:23:10
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Sat 26-Nov-16 21:39:02
Print Post

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Sun 27-Nov-16 10:58:51
Print Post

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Nov-16 12:00:42
Print Post

Can we keep things civil and avoid the bitterness and fighting surfacing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lissie
(newbie) Sun 27-Nov-16 18:06:25
Print Post

Filtration has no danglies for years. Pulse8 ordered many so called Special Faults Engineers. Each one that turned up said there is no such thing "We all do everything" - My problem is neither FTTC OR ADSL2+ specific. A perfect service while on TTB LLU proved no problem from me to exchange. Line checked out OK - NO external wiring, so personally I don't see what the next engineer is going to achieve by another visit here. The problem is the BT supply somewhere as far as I can see or an exchange equipment fault. Though they will not chenge cards etc at the exchange - Special dispensation and all that - Been there tried that when P8 was sure of exchange gear fault. Always at the mercy of OR

I was with Uno on TTB LLU and just gave up in the end with my ongoing fault. I can't fault the Uno service, they were always quick to respond and get an engineer out. But after well over a month of waiting in at least once a week for an engineer to turn up, plug his gubbins in, tell me there was no fault and naff off again with no improvement in service I decided it was just taking up too much of my time.

I'm lucky in that Virgin passes my front door so I was able to switch and bypass the Openreach network entirely. If I was stuck in an area where OR was the only game in town, I'd definitely give AAISP a go, especially with the recent increases in their data caps - they don't seem so extortionate these days.

Edited by lissie (Sun 27-Nov-16 18:07:42)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 28-Nov-16 07:48:49
Print Post

given you dont like the single thread performance issues, I find your choice of BTw in preference to TTB odd.

(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 07:58:43
Print Post

If you had followed how I ended where I am you would not.
What about My choice of ISP - The only one to work on this properly - Do you find that odd?
Biggest problem is the supplied router, but look at this morning's numbers after they work on it - Odd?
http://postimg.org/image/87qkn0cqj/
http://openspeedtest.com/results/5931184
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5833217854

Edited by professor973 (Mon 28-Nov-16 08:04:46)

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Nov-16 08:37:48
Print Post

You made an excellent choice of going with AAISP but why did you choose their BTW based FTTC service instead of their TTB based FTTC service? If you had gone with TTB Home::1

- Generous 1TB limit
- Far cheaper than their equivalent BtW service (if you were to use most/all of your 1TB allowance)
- AAISP recently upgraded their multiple TTB backhaul links to 10gb/s capacity so network congestion is far less likely than those on AAISP BTW FTTC connections.

If you feel that AAISP can get your line issues fixed quicker by being on a BTW based service then that's not correct, as Openreach have to treat all ISPs customers equally irrespective of whom they use for their backhaul network. Of course its a moot point if you don't have TT presence at your exchange.

TalkTalk Business 80/20

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 28-Nov-16 08:44:07)

(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 08:44:55
Print Post

Folks are coming at me left right and centre today asking why I chose BTW. If folks cannot read what has gone before, I am not repeating it all again, though my line still rubbish with Pulse8 TTB LLU may be a clue.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Nov-16 10:27:24
Print Post

my line still rubbish with Pulse8 TTB LLU may be a clue.

But AAISP TTB based services and P8 TTB based services are different products on different ISPs!! Its like comparing oranges with apples. Just because they both use TTB for backhaul doesn't mean you'll get the same performance....as witnessed on your near perfect ADSL2+ service with Uno/Xilo (TTB). Any TTB or BTW reselling ISP has to purchase enough bandwidth from TT or BT, those that don't, their customers start getting packet loss and slow downs at peak times.

Now if you had line issues, you would be getting performance issues on every ISP but the fact that you didn't on Uno suggests that you've been unlucky and been hit with ISP backhaul or exchange congestion on your previous ISPs. Anyway you're with the right ISP now and if your problems are down to BTW congestion at exchange or at backhaul level, then AAISP is the right ISP to kick BT's ass. BtW no ISP, no matter how good, is immune from congestion or routing issues - eg some Zen customers are still having speed issues at peak times (ongoing since May 2016) and even some AAISP customers were getting slowdowns on TTB services until recently - hence why they upgraded their centrals to 10gb/s.

TalkTalk Business 80/20

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 28-Nov-16 10:33:44)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 10:38:20
Print Post

It's not always bad

My TTB router died so they are sending a new one (just called me to confirm it's being courierd here by the end of the day, awesome as it only died at 3am.

When I get back online I can do the TTB network and BTW - but on my backup BT line this ain't so bad I don't think

(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 10:38:35
Print Post

Yes, I know all of that. I have already posted the reason I got good performance with Uno TTB LLU over Pulse8 was that they route different. SO - It would be a leap in the dark taking another TTB llu contract, especially with a tie-in. The flaky Uno checker deems me one of the few it cannot supply. Taking into account the AAISP FTTC minimum contract is only six months, along with their reputation for actually fixing in a bad line in a month or no exit fees, I fail to see why folks are questioning my choice of ISP. All others either could not or would not get it fixed. My line is better at the moment than in months. Supplied router had a brainstorm initially, but I ordered a reload from my control page myself, something I could not do with others. It has lost IPv6 again, but apart from that a few re-syncs have settled it and back up to hooking up to exchange at 68Mbps, just as I did with my first spell of FTTC.
VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 0 day: 4 hours: 47 minutes
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 20.063 Mbps 68.424 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 19.999 Mbps 68.301 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 15.2 dB 6.1 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 8 ms
Transmit Power: 7.1 dBm 12.6 dBm
Receive Power: -7.8 dBm -4.4 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 15.0 dB 16.9 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 24.617 Mbps 81.477 Mbps
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 5.9 22.8 34.2 N/A 11.1 27.0 45.3
Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.9 21.8 32.1 N/A 13.0 26.7 45.3
SNR Margin(dB): 15.4 15.2 15.1 N/A 6.3 6.1 6.1
Transmit Power(dBm):- 2.0 -20.7 6.7 N/A 8.4 7.8 7.0

VDSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
Since Link time = 47 min 55 sec
FEC: 18324 27
CRC: 0 9
ES: 0 8
Latest 15 minutes time = 57 sec
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC: 1483 0
CRC: 0 1
ES: 0 1
Latest 1 day time = 15 hours 15 min 57 sec
FEC: 677563577 548
CRC: 209328 134
ES: 24574 49
SES: 21 0
UAS: 92 72
LOS: 1 0
LOF: 7 0
LOM: 6 0
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
Total time = 15 hours 15 min 57 sec
FEC: 677563577 548
CRC: 209328 134
ES: 24574 49
SES: 21 0
UAS: 92 72
LOS: 1 0
LOF: 7 0
LOM: 6 0

Edited by professor973 (Mon 28-Nov-16 10:42:45)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 10:45:43
Print Post

Hopefully the line with sort and you will get some more? After all it says you can get max 81.477 Mbps so with overheads etc is 68 the max it will do?
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Nov-16 10:59:54
Print Post

It would be a leap in the dark taking another TTB llu contract, especially with a tie-in.

That's fully understandable.

BtW which AAISP router are you using? If its the Zyxel VMG1312 then its possible the increased error rates on that (compared to a Huawei HG612 modem) might be making your line unstable. In your shoes i would go back to basics by getting an el-cheapo HG612 modem off fleabay or an ECI model if you're on a ECI cab, unlocking it and then either hooking that up to your Zyxel or to an el cheapo TP Link standalone router from your local Argos. You might be surprised how much of a difference decent hardware can make smile

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:03:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
It would be a leap in the dark taking another TTB llu contract, especially with a tie-in.

That's fully understandable.

BtW which AAISP router are you using? If its the Zyxel VMG1312 then its possible the increased error rates on that (compared to a Huawei HG612 modem) might be making your line unstable. In your shoes i would go back to basics by getting an el-cheapo HG612 modem off fleabay or an ECI model if you're on a ECI cab, unlocking it and then either hooking that up to your Zyxel or to an el cheapo TP Link standalone router from your local Argos. You might be surprised how much of a difference decent hardware can make smile

I have 612's for both sides and a Billion 8800NL - that's something worth considering unless Gigaports are the requirement
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:10:38
Print Post

Have an unlocked BT modem here from my last stint on FTTC, but I cannot remember the IP address to monitor it. Reset has not put it back to 192.168.1.1 and port two does not seem to be working for monitoring. That said, it works, either with the ZyXel or one of my other routers here.
You are spot on with the ZyXel racing to stupid high speeds and creating problems. It has got to the point of re-syncs again. With or without the BT modem, my TP-Link TD-W9980 VDSL2+ modem router runs lower at 52Mbps and stays there rock solid. I have put the ZyXel back in line after struggling on my own over the weekend, in the hope it will help AAISP sort my problem, though I feel the ZyXel is not going to keep this line stable - Horses for courses and routers for ISPs lol For instance, I tried my retail HomeHub4R behind the BT modem and the blue average laency was off the top of the TBB BQM and totally unusable. Just have to wait for the Fritzbox to arrive.

Edited by professor973 (Mon 28-Nov-16 11:11:20)

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:23:50
Print Post

I like to use my own DSL equipment (prefer separate xdsl modem & router) and just keep the ISP supplied router as a backup. Understandably many people prefer an all-in-one unit, here's a comprehensive list:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

I would stay away from Asus or Zyxel all-in-ones. Billion, Draytek, Netgear and TP Link all produce very good combo routers.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:36:11
Print Post

He could have my Billion if I could get it to him. I have a Linksys load balancer doing both at the moment and it's fairly new so should last me a few years.

I've got the TT one in case I need to do any trouble shooting.
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:46:13
Print Post

Had the 8800NL once. Now back to sync every minute ot two. Hope to have heard from AA by now, but have to pull the thing again - Useless on this line.
http://postimg.org/image/3r2t22nwb/
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:55:48
Print Post

I did try the BT moden into the WAN port of my old Billion 7800N. Rock solid when you can get the WAN configuration sorted, which I could not. Was a right pain last time and cannot remember the exact settings I had. Remember Adam from Pulse8 on the phone trying to help with the settings and it beat us both. I hit on it by luck later, but not this time. I unloaded the Billion VDSL modem router I had as had trouble with latency spiked - An admitted fault. Regret it though.

Edited by professor973 (Mon 28-Nov-16 11:57:17)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:56:12
Print Post

Indeed that's not good at all. I do like the way AA say who cleared the fault - accountability is good with them as you well know by now smile

The only reason I am with someone else and not with them is the limits - 1TB just wouldn't be enough. I've managed to get into the router which is dedicated to the TV and I've done over 1TB on IPTV in the past 24 days.

The downfall of not paying the TV licence and having it all on demand i suppose.
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:09:30
Print Post

But like the days of not needing a tv license to watch satellite tv, they just move the goalposts as they now have done, so license required for catch-up. But they have to catch you. Considering they have no right of entry, NO equipment to trace use, despite claims to the contrary ( A little like the empty detector vans that made folks run out for a license). All they can do is trick folk into admitting use on the doorstep. Not one conviction from the empty detector vans. Bit OT but -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2445153/Are-...
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:11:02
Print Post

I did try the BT moden into the WAN port of my old Billion 7800N. Rock solid when you can get the WAN configuration sorted, which I could not. Was a right pain last time and cannot remember the exact settings I had. Remember Adam from Pulse8 on the phone trying to help with the settings and it beat us both. I hit on it by luck later, but not this time. I unloaded the Billion VDSL modem router I had as had trouble with latency spiked - An admitted fault. Regret it though.

I could never get it to pick up IPv6 with Billion sat on the phone - it even beat them!
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:13:29
Print Post

But like the days of not needing a tv license to watch satellite tv, they just move the goalposts as they now have done, so license required for catch-up. But they have to catch you. Considering they have no right of entry, NO equipment to trace use, despite claims to the contrary ( A little like the empty detector vans that made folks run out for a license). All they can do is trick folk into admitting use on the doorstep. Not one conviction from the empty detector vans. Bit OT but -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2445153/Are-...

You only need a TV licence to use the Iplayer - have never needed one for any other catchup service.

They send out packets from the Iplayer of say 500bits and then sniff the wifi to see if they can see packets of that size and if so they know you are watching the Iplayer.

I don#t use wifi - everything is powerlined so they have nothing to sniff.

They have no right of way like you say - no more right to enter my house than the postman. On production of a warrant I can delete the IPTV app in a second, and unless they want to prosecute me for watching Amazon Prime they can jog on.

I even got a refund, which I was chuffed about.

I did see a van once with a TVL sticker on - but I am sure that's all it was - Unlike the, say DVLA vans where you can clearly see the ANPR cameras, the TVL vans are just vans.

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 28-Nov-16 12:14:43)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 15:06:41
Print Post

I've just seen they now say that all apps and popular services and they name the ones that they think people will use and therefore will think they need a licence. Trying to apply the loophole in the Iplayer to every catchup service out there.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but, to my knowledge there is no live TV in either Netflix or Amazon Instant Video, the clue being in the name of the latter.

And yet they are 2 that are named as being able to get live TV on the TVL website

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 28-Nov-16 15:07:57)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 16:17:28
Print Post

I'm actually finding that on my line I get fewer errors with the ZyXEL than I did with the HG612!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 17:01:29
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Nice! I did check some of these ZyXEL routers out and I do like the look of one I admit!
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 09:08:32
Print Post

Update- The TP-Link TD-W9980 has proved rock solid compared to the flaky supplied zYxel, though like the zYxel cannot access IPv6 sites, which appears that the fixed IP address is anything but fixed on IPv6.
To cut to the chase, the TP-Link has this morning done a couple of re-syncs and is now at zyXel F1 speed, so time will now tell if the whole caboodle collapses. The problem seems to be, that I have ridiculous high available broadband speed available with all routers at a measured 315 m of copper from the fibre cab. At best I should get around 65Mbps.
http://openspeedtest.com/results/5975028
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5838913283
My AA control page is showing a planned management review for this morning, so will wait and see on all fronts - Crash or stability ??
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:53:28
Print Post

I'll root for Stability smile
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 17:07:47
Print Post

Well My TP-Link TD-W is still holding rock solid at a crazy 77.7Mbps sync, Hardly an error in near two days up-time and with a dig and overhead work to do according to my control page. Don't say much for the supplied zyXel, or at least on this line.

Hardware Version:TD-W9980 v1 00000001
System Up Time:1 day(s) 13:22:49
DSL
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2
Annex Type:Annex A/B/L/M
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 19999 77737
Max Rate (Kbps) 22918 75898
SNR Margin (dB) 7 5
Line Attenuation (dB) 20.9 16.3
Errors (Pkts) 442 12
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 17:38:11
Print Post

...with a dig and overhead work to do according to my control page.

"Visit number: 1Type of engineer: SFIAppointment reference number: xxx Notes added for the engineer: Issue - DCNComplete fit new NTE and RF3 (not SSFP)Replace D & E Sides to best possible pairs.Renew drop wire if applicable to EUComplete L&S or if new ties available, complete TPM. If more time required, get auth from OR HelpdeskPrevious work carried out (if applicable): n/a"

You might be interested in the above notes added by an ISP for a SFI visit that I had a few years ago - "E Sides" will possibly not apply to your reported fault though?
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 18:07:37
Print Post

A55 ordered according to my AA control page. Looks like they are picking up the underground earth fault Pulse8 would not keep chasing, saying in the end the job had dropped off the system. Job number still nailed to last pole here since last August.
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-16 15:10:42
Print Post

Well Andrew, the single thread congestion sorted with a move to AA. A little happier now. zyXel router would not run at all. full of errors and wrecked IPv6 at first re-sync. TP-Link TD-W9980 rock solid at 77.7Mbps but no access to IPv6 sites despite set up to do so. So today, after an hour or two messing with the fritzbox 7390 and losing a lot of speed due to disconnections here, I now have a box that runs IPv6, so a happy bunny, especially as I can see AA still working away to sort my line.
http://postimg.org/image/9ssisyzqz/

Edited by professor973 (Thu 01-Dec-16 15:11:40)

(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-16 20:14:55
Print Post

Update - Oh well, it's back to the TP-Link and stuff the stress and expense of trying to find a router that does IPv6 longer than five minutes before falling over. I see a post from someone with the same trouble on BT today. We as users cannot be expected to keep forking out trying to find one that works!

Back to the TP-Link.

Dropped packets with the Fritzbox all afternoon even when it was working, before expiring around 8:00 pm.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/7f11d5673b7...

Edited by professor973 (Thu 01-Dec-16 20:19:33)

Standard User bet_here
(member) Thu 01-Dec-16 23:55:43
Print Post

Dropped packets with the Fritzbox all afternoon even when it was working, before expiring around 8:00 pm.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/7f11d5673b7...

The Fritz!Box doesn't reply to ICMP Pings consistently - especially with both AAISP and TBB monitors running simultaneously. Best to look at the AAISP LCP Echo graphs.

Simon.
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 00:32:24
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Identical.
http://postimg.org/image/ubn02798b/
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 18:02:32
Print Post

Giving the Fritzbox one more try, as suffering some dropped packets today even on the TP-Link. Could not get into it with a browser and no factory reset button. Research turned up that it was probably in wireless access mode, which could have been me while fiddling to get it running and would explain it dying as a router. Managed to break in and reset. Up and running again on IPv6 and no dropped packets so far. Regarding dropped packets, I should state that AAISP are still working this line despite the single thread congestion being fixed, also an A55 against it. Pleased with the amount of AA input showing on my control page - Not so pleases about router IPv6 compatibility. Not so sure about managing on what is now a 150Gb allowance. Over 7 Gb done in a day and a half with no video streaming at all - Just a bit of Skype. We have a nag running tonight, so will see what streaming and upload does to my usage - 4K still seems out of the question.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 02-Dec-16 18:04:03)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Sat 03-Dec-16 09:14:40
Print Post

I guess the 1TB limit would be better for you. I don't like the idea of caps and was glad when unlimited 0800 came out all those years ago.
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-16 11:23:39
Print Post

1TB is silly money and would be killed by 4K streaming, which is what I wanted fibre for. But in the meantime, the Fritzbox has slowed to a standstill after half a day once again. It was the only thing that would run AAISP IPv6, but at 50Mbps instead of 75Mbps. I have had enough of my whole life sat here trying to get broadband to work properly. So I have put the supplied zyXel back in the saddle once again. It will not hold connection or IPv6 despite coming configured by AA. This my be a faulty router regarding connection, but the IPv6 is a deeper problem, but at least they can access the zyXel to try and sort along with my line. half a dozen routers here that won't run this line properly is time to stop buying.
The last Fritzbox BQM. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
zyZel flaps about like a see saw! http://postimg.org/image/4zhjjrdkr/

Edited by professor973 (Sat 03-Dec-16 11:29:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Dec-16 16:16:21
Print Post

As I've just PM'ed, so this is for others reading the thread, so far as I can see I have just cracked the ZyXel 1312 for dualstack IPv6/IPv4, despite having been told it has a ZyXel bug and there was nothing to be done.

I have had it running (though obviously unused for a few hours) since something like 1:45 this morning. See the two BQMs in my sig.

As supplied it was set up to go with my HG612, but for this exercise I have set it to full modem/router mode. I will need to speak to AA about that, and their master configuration.

I'm convinced your ZyXel is either faulty or your dodgy line is killing everything. Or both!

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15336kbps @ 600m. - IPv4 BQM IPv6 BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 03-Dec-16 16:17:01)

(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-16 18:04:30
Print Post

Yes Bob, your beavering away well ahead of mine and different model. As I said in the PM , I suspected the modem, but as AAISP IPv6 seems broken and wrecks all routers, I have just switched to IPv4 only as you suggested, so time will tell. Intrigued by your statement that router config is set up to be behind a BT modem, which as you know was going to be my next shot before the IPv4 suggestion. Stable at the moment, but can be for hours then it hits brainstorm mode, as you can see in the link. Either way, I have put a note on the AA control page to keep them updated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 04-Dec-16 00:46:28
Print Post

Different model? I have VMG1312-B10A?

Your BQM link is dead. See my two. First break was deliberate for some reason. Tonight's were a failed experiment so back to config as of Saturday 1:45am.

However from reports it might fall over in 2-3 days. But also from reports a reboot kills it. I have done several plus a complete switch-off and it sails on.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15314kbps @ 600m. - IPv4 BQM IPv6 BQM
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Dec-16 01:28:22
Print Post

Yes Bob, another zyXel brainstorm. Deleted BQM and started again and it's OK. Realy never come across such an odd box. This one won't go onto fixed IP. Select it and two of three fields still greyed out. Just leaving it in line to help AA fix if they can, but if the line, they won't be the first that can't. Nightmare with Zen, Freeola, Postoffice, Plusnet, Pulse8, Aquiss. Only TTB LLU good.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 08:23:38
Print Post

My AAISP supplied and configured ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A has been working happily on IPv6 since I made the address statically configured as described in the section Intermittent loss of IPv6 in https://support.aa.net.uk/VMG1312:_Bugs.

I do lose the IPv6 after a loss of PPP and have to do a full reboot.

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Mon 05-Dec-16 09:57:31)

(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 08:47:44
Print Post

That pulls up a blank page here. Possibly you could enlighten those of us still struggling with this flaky box, by posting those settings.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Mon 05-Dec-16 08:50:18
Print Post

https://support.aa.net.uk/VMG1312:_Bugs - he added a period in the url.

- Tony Sutton
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 09:27:04
Print Post

Thanks - He a girl ?
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-16 09:33:07
Print Post

BTW ...

Loved the dash cam footage.

Is it cant be bothered, cant drive. or look at me I am important and don't have time to waste?

Mac
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Dec-16 09:33:14
Print Post

Is that using it with your HG612 jelv or in modem-router mode? I was trying to eliminate the HG612, but in modem/router mode could not detect the WAN IPv6. In the end, with some help elsewhere I realised the AA example, not shown on the linked page in fact, enabled me to construct what it must be.

I'm talking about the address with the :1111: entries, where I thought the 1's were obfuscation but aren't.

Are you using an address with the 1's? I have a feeling in modem/router mode we don't even need to know it - except for the BQM. Something I shall test later.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15321kbps @ 600m. - IPv4-BQM,Dissed New IPv6 BQM, Even newer BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Dec-16 09:35:07)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 09:55:32
Print Post

Modem router mode - I'm finding the ZyXEL is holding the line better than the HG612 was on Plusnet.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 10:00:00
Print Post

Actually the reason for the problem was not that I'd added a full stop to the link, but that I'd not made it a link at all burt just pasted the link with the fullstop after.

I've now made it a proper link.

John

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Dec-16 10:30:50
Print Post

I've never had a problem with the HG612 holding the line, but did wonder whether a more modern modem may be a good idea. So decided to try swapping the XyXel over. It seems fine so far, and stating a max attainable 6Mbps higher than the HG612 does. The HG says just under 60Mbps Max but often reports exactly 60000kbps sync, as per my sig.

The ZyXel also gives exactly 60000kbps sync but max 66000. That's going to be today's question to AA. Along with why their log reports a BT value of 57nnn kbps! They also apply their own line speed to that, like Plusnet do to the IP Priofile, but considerably lower than that BT-reported sync.

Re the static IP Address, you missed the question. Are you applying the address that contains the two :1111: entries? Or some other? My earlier IPv6 BQMs were with addresses that turned out to be LAN ones, not the WAN one. Though they worked for BQM, which was neat, despite being LAN not WAN.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15321kbps @ 600m. - IPv4-BQM,Dissed New IPv6 BQM, Even newer BQM
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 11:04:57
Print Post

[re: Mac99] [link to this post]

[censored] off [censored] stirrer
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-16 11:59:00
Print Post

[censored] off [censored] stirrer

?????????
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Dec-16 12:05:52
Print Post

Maybe you intended to reply to hypertony, not the OP? Always click the Reply button against the post you are replying to smile. Not the latest post in the thread.

The OP is understandably in the circumstances rather sensitive. At first sight I too thought you were winding him up - until I realised you were referring to hypertony's sig link. Though which particular video I don't know. And in this thread don't want to smile.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 12:09:28
Print Post

See https://support.aa.net.uk/Other_Line_Options for setting the AAISP line speed!

And yes it's the IP with the 1111 entries.

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Mon 05-Dec-16 12:12:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Dec-16 12:13:57
Print Post

Thanks jelv - I have to go out for a bit but will see about using that later smile. But I don't want to hijack this thread smile.

Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-16 12:41:24
Print Post

Understood Bob.

Apologies prof, if you thought I was having a pop at you. Not the case. Just the idiots in the webcam footage.

Best get back on topic and hope your problems get sorted.

Mac
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 13:09:54
Print Post

Thanks Mac. Only post vids on Facebook, so thought someone referring to that and stirring me up over that. Something regulars will know I get plenty of. Suppose I will get the usual slap from Sir for my post now lol
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 05-Dec-16 16:51:32
Print Post

Who is sir? No one is more special than anyone else on the interweb.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Dec-16 17:55:26
Print Post

Donald Trump is.

(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 18:35:39
Print Post

Yeah, but soon we will no longer be able to contact the Donald direct. Love his 35% tax idea for companies that leave.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Dec-16 18:44:48
Print Post

Change name by Deed Poll to Nigel Farage.

(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 20:33:43
Print Post

So young man - You don't think I take enough stick here? lol
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 06-Dec-16 13:13:35
Print Post

Get a room dudes..
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Dec-16 15:09:16
Print Post

Merry Christmas to you too, 23.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15355kbps @ 600m. - IPv4-BQM, IPv6-BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 06-Dec-16 16:39:36
Print Post

Thanks, Same to you - but please still get a room laugh
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Jan-17 15:52:10
Print Post

An update to what has become a long thread. Disconnections, loss of sync and long outages have continued as usual while I was north of the border for a month. Yesterday, Shaun once again booked an OR engineer for this afternoon, with instructions to do a thorough investigation and to phone AA from here if no fix. So, Trevor the engineer stuck at it for two or three hours from here and the cab to pinpoint severe insulation loss on one leg. Guess where it was - A clue is, that I now have the pavement marked in the same spot it was in mid 2015 5m the other side of last pole, with an order for walkway chamber, trunking and cable to pole top and replacement of poor junction box at pole top once again. I must have had three dozen visits here and all engineers were given the history, as were several ISPs, but walked away when the phone side tested OK, with ISPs saying 'nothing we can do'. Cost me a fortune in cease fees, connection fees and routers. Once done, that just leaves a few yards of copper to the second pole to check out if problems continue, but looks like progress once again at last, though my AA control page shows BT are still trying to claim the problem is congestion - No change there
then!

Edited by professor973 (Sat 14-Jan-17 23:47:33)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 14-Jan-17 21:03:13
Print Post

Well, you have the best on the case and IMO if AA can't sort it - no one can.
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jan-17 23:41:33
Print Post

Well it's been no one can/will for two years. After a wet weekend my service is unusable this evening. Problem listed as a PAT fault again where OR can sit on it for ever more. just about had a belly full of it now! http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6bff238f7fb...
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-17 17:05:13
Print Post

Eek!

I totally know where you are coming from. I had this in the past, drove me sodding nuts!. I am sure AA can send you a sim or something to use in the meantime?
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-17 17:55:54
Print Post

Well three months of AA hammering Openreach like no other supplier would. today saw the proposed date for the dig put off again. Near on two years of refusing to repair. My line a mess at times, especially this week with bad weather. Peed off now and close to putting an axe to cable running up last pole. OR playing the same old game of trying to make an ISP give up the will to live. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a930b54d461...
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 19:36:45
Print Post

What was their excuse for cancelling it?

- Tony Sutton
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-17 22:55:16
Print Post

None. According to my AA control page, they have put off giving a date for the work for another week. Been like that since mid 2015. Another property near me has had the pavement marked near last pole for well over a year also. Just seem to refuse to do the dig and repair. Wet weather sent it crazy this evening. Luckily I am at our other property, or I would have gone more than crazy with someone, getting beyond the joke now and as far as I am concerned nothing can be too severe for Openreach reorganization.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a930b54d461...

Edited by professor973 (Mon 06-Feb-17 23:06:58)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-17 08:53:55
Print Post

My guess would be OR cant be bothered going to the (assuming) huge expensive of digging up a road just to fix 1 property.

Reliable Internet access needs to be listed the same as gas and electric as an essential service. If your electricity supply was dodgy like that they would soon dig up the road to fix it, so why is broadband/fibre different?
(isp) Tue 07-Feb-17 09:40:16
Print Post

Re: Single thread congestion. (Update from the ISP)

Wow this is a long thread! smile

Just to say that Shaun our escalation manager is and has been dealing with this fault. It's escalated within BT and our thread with BT is long, but not quite as long as this forum thread! Shaun has been adding notes to the control page regarding his communications with BT.

The service has quite good sync (+65Mb/s), but often looses sync and drops the connection and reconnects a minute or so afterwards. Some days are fine but most days see either a couple or up to 20 or so drops throughout the day.

The line requires dig work in order to be fixed, and oddly the dig work was originally scheduled for 2015 but didn't seem to have happened then! -this was before the line was with us.

Shaun is chasing and chasing and chasing and doing his best. We will get this fixed!

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-17 10:14:11
Print Post

And that is why AAISP are rated as the premier fibre provider. Try getting that information out of any other provider!

No I am not with AAISP but fair play to them!

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 07-Feb-17 10:17:25
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Skilty:
And that is why AAISP are rated as the premier fibre provider. Try getting that information out of any other provider!

No I am not with AAISP but fair play to them!

It's also why they say if they can't fix it they will let you go. Which i am sure rarely happens.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Feb-17 10:52:51
Print Post

The thing is that if happy with AAISP in other respects, there's little point in taking advantage of being allowed to leave without penalty if in a minimum term, as sure as eggs is eggs if they can't get Openreach to budge no ISP can.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-17 11:29:57
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

As I said, Shaun at AA is really hammering Openreach every day. I can see his words to them on my control page, but they just keep saying we will give a date next week every week, along with deliberately parking it as a PAT fault where they can take as long as they like.
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-17 11:46:44
Print Post

Yes Andrew, I have already commented on Shaun's relentless hammering of Openreach, but they are beyond the pale, insisting a fault that is service effecting be categorised as a PAT fault, where they can take for ever. This has caused me a lot of aggravation and expense with several ISPs. A&A reputation is my last hope of resolution, with the service coming up to expectation. Just a pity the same cannot be said of OR.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 07-Feb-17 14:42:04)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 07-Feb-17 12:10:56
Print Post

The thing is that if happy with AAISP in other respects, there's little point in taking advantage of being allowed to leave without penalty if in a minimum term, as sure as eggs is eggs if they can't get Openreach to budge no ISP can.

Agreed, but being happy with them in lots of places but having a shocking connection, for most wouldn't be a reason to stay?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Feb-17 12:28:20
Print Post

Other than going to satellite or wireless broadband you end up with even more aggro if anything else goes wrong. Plus possible script-monkeys.

What happens if his line gets banded a lot lower than already?

How soon to give up?

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 07-Feb-17 12:28:41)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 07-Feb-17 14:01:58
Print Post

No idea, but as always you raise a good point.
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:22:30
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Info and effort from AA is superb. Unfortunately, every week OR break their word of a date for a fix. ISPs can scream and shout as much as they like, but while OpenReach incorrectly categorise as a PAT fault that does not effect service, there is nothing much any ISP can do if OR dig their heels in as they have been doing since 2015!
Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Tue 21-Feb-17 12:39:20
Print Post

Not read the whole thread, so you might have tried already, but what about contacting your MP and getting them to have a word with Openreach?

BT Infinity 2
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Feb-17 18:27:43
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

A thought, but doubt they would take any more notice than they are my ISP, who is hammering them like no other. AA give a guarantee of a fix in a month or leave for free. Now near four months into six month minimum contract. I will bet the dig not done at the end of six months, as been ongoing since 2015. Line OK at the moment, but rain forecast later this week, so expect it to go tits up in a day or two again.
Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Tue 21-Feb-17 18:45:54
Print Post

Might be worth a try professor. I know some people have had success with companies after going down the MP route. They seem to change their tune when someone who might be voting in the future on legislation that could effect them gets involved.

BT Infinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Feb-17 19:49:18
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

+1

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Feb-17 01:04:46
Print Post

Well update promised for later today, but I am taking bets again. Just had a ten minute outage which ruined a big online poker game. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/8ae5b024e05...

Edited by professor973 (Wed 22-Feb-17 10:35:23)

(isp) Wed 22-Feb-17 11:00:18
Print Post

Well update promised for later today, but I am taking bets again. Just had a ten minute outage which ruined a big online poker game. Whatever the outcome, will not be staying here, especially if no repair, I will go cheap unlimited and at least be able to stream 4K. Been down here barely 6 days and already used over 30Gb from my 150Gb and done nothing out of the ordinary, just stream a couple of football matches and a few races over the weekend.

We are a little disheartened to hear that you''ll be leaving, however we won't let that prevent us from dealing with this fault to the best of our ability smile. Shaun, our escalation manager here has been chasing BT for updates, passing them on and has escalated it with BT to to top. As you say, we're currently wanting for the next update at 6pm today, and if we fail to get that we'll be back on to BT at 6:01pm.

The 30G over 6 days is near to the 150G over a month, but 150G is our entry level tariff and we have lots of options to increase this.

We'll carry on dealing with this fault and updating you.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 22-Feb-17 11:54:40
Print Post

This PAT fault thing is patently ridiculous, isn't it Andrew smile ?

AUIU it means it is classified as non-service-affecting. But it clearly is and has been for ages. In particulary this time, when a legitimate online activity has been broken, and could potentially have cost the user.

If anyone is worried about it being poker, how about bridge? A pound a point at rubber bridge is high stakes by my standards. Professionals play at much higher than that.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 11:51:42
Print Post

I wouldnt leave if i was him. Moving to a budget ISP your issue certainly wont ever get fixed. AAISP are the best if any to sort this out.

Do you actually know for certain what the issue is? I know you have had alot of engineers out but is there an concensus as to the problem?

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 23-Feb-17 11:52:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Feb-17 11:52:40
Print Post

You've replied to me?

(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 13:03:22
Print Post

The problem was diagnosed as an underground earth fault in 2015. Openreach have refused to do the planned dig ever since. Just promised dates that are ignored. The extremely poor insulation/resistance on one leg underground at the same spot was confirmed by an engineer again this year. Once again, dig, walkway chamber, duct, last pole block and tail booked in again, but no action. Permission to dig went in to the local council in August 2015, so see very little excuse, other than it's listed as a non service effecting PAT fault that Openreach can sit on as long as they like, no matter how loud any ISP squeals. AA doing plenty of kicking and complaining for the last near four months. As far as I am concerned, Openreach deserve all the reorganization and splitting they get.

Edited by professor973 (Thu 23-Feb-17 13:04:48)

(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 14:12:28
Print Post

Original 2015 job number still waiting on Last pole!
https://postimg.org/image/i1wgwgih1/

Pavement still waiting two years on for walkway chamber!
https://postimg.org/image/okxkfnvz5/
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-17 14:54:17
Print Post

Not wishing to rattle your cage but ..
Original 2015 job number still waiting on Last pole!
https://postimg.org/image/i1wgwgih1/

.. is NOT a job number, that is the 9 digit EIN (UIN) Employee Identification Number and date of the last engineer to climb the pole, part of the pre-climb checks engineers make.

The second is a mark up for a dig and a box. What the next engineer needs to do is to chase this up with the local dig lead.

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-17 15:39:51
Print Post

Do you live in Wales by any chance?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-17 16:10:22
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Do you live in Wales by any chance?

Well the engineer who last climbed the pole in in his post was based in Bury St Edmunds, so maybe not.

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-17 18:43:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, that would be a long ladder.

I asked because I have a high level BT contact who lives nearby.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 20:50:50
Print Post

And not wishing to rattle yours, but there have been at least two dozen engineers up that pole since then! - Either way and hair-splitting apart, the wait is unacceptable. There is another property a hundred yards or so from me, that has also had the last pole and pavement marked for around the same length of time. They just don't seem to want to patch up the old copper, especially if you are not a BT customer. AA have pushed this to HLE and onto DSP planning and still no action, so can't see what an engineer can do. next promised update tomorrow and taking bets again!
As I predicted earlier in the week. bad weather arrived and starting to go tits up again.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3f6ff2b0cbf...

Edited by professor973 (Thu 23-Feb-17 21:11:38)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 23-Feb-17 21:15:17
Print Post

Surely if the circuit has low insulation to earth, AA can simply raise a fault? They will be able to see this when they test the line.

Earth on underground cables are usually pretty terminal and an end game fault, Not something that is going to be kicking around for years on a patrol fault. More likely is a low insulation to battery but AA should be able to see this too.

What fault are AA detecting?

Edited by partial (Thu 23-Feb-17 21:25:09)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 23-Feb-17 21:29:41
Print Post

If it don't begin with an 8, treat advice with caution. wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Feb-17 21:42:17
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

frown
Have you understood anything in the thread?

This is a multi-year, multi-engineer diagnosis, multi-follow-up engineer no fault found, multi-ISP, multi-wholesaler problem. The OP has only been with AAISP for a few months, paying high charges out of desperation and relying on their reputation. Plus their promise to release you if they can't get a line fault fixed in 30 days.

Even a single recent post should give you some idea what is going on. Openreach simply do intend to bother.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 23-Feb-17 21:49:50
Print Post

Yes. I understand cable faults reasonably well having spent over 30 years investigating them.

I also understand what patrol faults are and what low insultion faults are. AA will also know what an earth fault looks like and will have no problem raising a fault.

Which is why I ask what they are detecting on test.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Feb-17 22:20:06
Print Post

What you are not understanding is that everyone has known for years where the fault is located. Openreach are simply refusing to do anything about it.

There are plenty of quotes by the OP in the thread what Openreach are saying to AA and some posts by their rep..

Do you think AA would still be pursuing this if they thought Openreach were right to tell all ISPs who have been involved - "Get lost, it can wait".

(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 22:31:46
Print Post

AA have had a fault raised for near four months, just like several previous ISPs, but just broken promises from Openreach.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 23-Feb-17 22:40:43
Print Post

Everybody?

This is a very curious case.

A patrol fault? Dozens of techs up the pole with a two year old test label? An earth on the circuit kicking around for years that isn't being detected by the line tester?

Very curious fault.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 23-Feb-17 22:42:06
Print Post

If there has been a live fault on the circuit for 4 months, AA must be picking up compo?

What fault is AA detecting at the moment? is it an earth?
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 22:45:54
Print Post

I think the info on my AA control page is supposed to be confidential, but to defend AA, the following is a direct cut and paste from one day on my page. It is typical of how hard Shaun at AA is pushing and is nowhere his most forceful comment to BT.
Note Oh WOW the service is not working, it is dropping sync something 20 times a day. BT have agreed that work needs doing on the UG feed yet since 2015 have not done it. This is unacceptable and I want this escalated to the next level immediately.

24 Jan Note once again you have passed the fault back for a retest knowing fully well THAT YOU HAVE NOT FIXED IT! are you doing this on purpose or do you have such a broken fault repair process that does this? it's not clever and it's not funny. stop doing this and keep the fault in your queue until such time that we are all happy that the fault has been fixed. Understood?

Hoping I don't get a slap for reposting comments from AA to BT, but need to make folks aware, that AA are pushing like no other, not that BT have responded much differently to other ISPs. After all, we got as far as applying for dig permission in August 2015.

Edited by professor973 (Thu 23-Feb-17 23:05:35)

(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 22:50:17
Print Post

Don't ask me - Ask AA or the two engineers whose gear diagnosed it.
Engineer Trevor Carter's report 16th Jan.
***Please see additional information Pqt ok but low insulation and int Rect loop in cable from dp 85 to dp 89 . A55 for jf4 and duct at base of dp89 for block and tail . so there you are Mr. engineer. Chase him up, I have his works provided mobile number if you like. A darned good engineer, who promised to see this fault kept open until fixed. Also phones me regularly for update! 'Patrolling' the floor of the exchange of little use here!

Edited by professor973 (Fri 24-Feb-17 07:33:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Feb-17 23:16:18
Print Post

What is life like as a dedicated apologist for a monopoly-conscious megalith? You may truly believe that you are right, but so did the flat-earthers.

And don't quote Virgin Media or niche startups. Neither approaches the power and spread of "BT Group", with free infrastructure.

Openreach is a monopoly protected by a giant. It knows it, and it responds in the way such do.
Edit - typo.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 24-Feb-17 00:20:52)

(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 23:36:56
Print Post

Take an up-tick Sir! - Us flat-earthers are right though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=debcXgOi0T0

Edited by professor973 (Thu 23-Feb-17 23:40:36)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 24-Feb-17 06:54:43
Print Post

That's really how A&A deal with OR? Wow, I am surprised. That doesn't look professional to me in the slightest...
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 07:37:37
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

You have not seen the way we have been let down by OR, though many here know better than everyone else. I can assure you, that professionalism goes out of the window with Openreach. They are a law unto themselves.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 24-Feb-17 09:44:41
Print Post

No matter how angry or [censored] off I am sometimes, I always maintain a level of professionalism.

Have the various complaint escalation routes with Openreach been exhausted? Has compensation been paid out to the ISP (which could be quite substantial here)?
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 10:28:39
Print Post

Yea sorry replied to wrong post laugh
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 10:30:35
Print Post

End user don't count then?
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 10:38:58
Print Post

I know this is extreme but would having a 2nd new line installed fix this?
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 24-Feb-17 10:46:21
Print Post

End user doesn't count what?
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 14:30:45
Print Post

Not sure. have changed pairs and ports in the past. As far as I know, a dig, walkway chamber, tail and block to last pole is the only answer. The problem is, that the cable between the two named distribution poles, is just buried under the pavement for the last 50 or 60 years. No duct to pull through. Hoping it will get there in the end, but OR really have tried everyone's patience. If the intermittent fault is not playing up in dry weather when they visit, they try to say there is nothing wrong and try to force the ISP to sign the fault off or take another DFI visit. This is despite seeing the disconnections AND OR line monitor showing faults!
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 14:37:30
Print Post

Compensation for ISPs only?? - Thought my comment made sense!
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 24-Feb-17 15:08:13
Print Post

Why should Openreach compensate you? You're not their customer.

The same way if you take Tesco Mobile and there is a problem with O2's network. Tesco Mobile compensate you, not O2 as you have no contract or service agreement with O2.

In your case, the ISP should be claiming compensation if you have a fault raised with Openreach and it's not fixed within the SLA. For each day a FTTC fault is not fixed within the service agreement (excluding matters beyond reasonable control), an ISP is entitled to one month's FTTC line rental. This is capped at a maximum of 60 days, but that can be worth several hundred pounds.

It is a very reasonable question to ask A&A if they have received compensation for your ongoing fault. If they haven't, why not? If they have received compensation, why has something not been passed on to you?
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 15:12:49
Print Post

Undecided as yet Andrew. What is a certainty, is I will leave if no fix at the end of six months. While I am back and fourth between our two properties I just about get by with usage if I don't stream 4K or Amazon prime. Family horses at end of rest period and once racing starts again soon, I will be streaming much more sport and uploading a lot of video. Unlimited BB and AA service for what I am paying now would be my absolute maximum outlay and superb, but there is a limit to what I will put into broadband while Openreach don't bother with a decent service. I would never doubt AA pushing for a fix whatever I intend - A working service and getting by on allowance is what will decide.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 24-Feb-17 16:26:41)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 16:16:21
Print Post

What is life like as a dedicated apologist for a monopoly-conscious megalith? You may truly believe that you are right, but so did the flat-earthers.

As the saying goes: 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you.'.
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 16:28:54
Print Post

And the end user can whistle with [censored] all passed on?? - I should cocoa!
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 16:30:58
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

But what about the hand that feeds the ISP AND Openreach? - They can whistle in the wind without the product they pay for - Little wonder at the churn!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Feb-17 17:42:14
Print Post

My guess is that there is no 'hard' fault, in fact there cannot be, as one can't raise a PAT fault if it doesn't test OK to SIN349.

To get digs and the like arranged when via an SFI task is the very devil itself ...... Even if one does it often gets closed off as someone just RAT tests it and shuts it down.

(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 19:56:04
Print Post

Yes - been there and seen that. An intermittent fault, even one that's service effecting that is not playing up when the engineer visits, will always get the 'No fault'verdict and just walk away. Even in a case like mine, where the engineer can see up to 20 disconnections a few minutes apart on a wet day, as well as registering an underground fault on their equipment, they still insist upon classing the problem as a non-service effecting PAT fault where they can take years in my case to do the repair - Then as you say, someone quietly deletes the job. That is the rubbish way Openreach is run. In my case, they have point blank refused requests from AA for the job to be correctly categorized. All the time trying to force the ISP to close the job until they give up the will to live. This has cost me a lot of aggravation with previous ISPs and expense in cease and connection fees. Knowing where the fault is, the only options I have if a repair is not done, is to move to a cheap supplier, or chop the last pole tail as I have threatened and put the whole street out. Then to end a perfect day after booking a week in Benidorm, it seems my Rolex Sea Dweller has gained at least two hours, as it's teling me it's 8:00pm, when I know for a fact that AA are going to update me by 6:00pm!

Edited by professor973 (Fri 24-Feb-17 20:00:48)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Fri 24-Feb-17 20:51:57
Print Post

AA charge a hefty premium for this 'support'?

Shocking.

I would be seriously worried if I were paying way over the odds for this, at best, unprofessional behaviour.
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 21:05:28
Print Post

Openreach ignorance has been ongoing for near two years with my underground fault and near four months with AA. What are you supposed to do after being polite, reason and all promises are ignored. Another OR update by 6:00pm tonight ignored. All I can say they are lucky they are not dealing with me direct! I see nothing unprofessional in asking OR if they think it's funny or understand after continually letting customers down.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 24-Feb-17 21:28:47)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 24-Feb-17 21:17:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:

Shocking.

I would be seriously worried if I were paying way over the odds for this, at best, unprofessional behaviour.
So you have switched from defending the indefensible to attacking the innocent ISP. Cute.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Fri 24-Feb-17 21:39:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

On the contrary. I have simply asked reasonable questions about this curious fault and have yet benefit from any answers to be able to offer any diagnosis whether defensible or otherwise.

This is a very curious fault that started with single thread congestion and has developed into all sorts of things including a 'serious earth fault' that appears to undetectable to the line testers.

AA's unique premium priced style of support simply makes it more 'interesting'.

Edited by partial (Fri 24-Feb-17 21:41:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Feb-17 21:41:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:

Shocking.

Yes.

It's no wonder AAISP consistently get the lowest support ratings and highest overall ratings year after year after year, and are well known everywhere but in your household for being able to get Openreach to act when no other ISP can. (Not).

I really can't understand how they stay in business. Or why you didn't set up as an ISP years ago and have trounced the market. (Actually I have no difficulty whatsoever in understanding both of those).

How many years has the OP had this fault?
How many times has it been diagnosed and repair jobs raised?
How many ISPs using pussy-footing "yes sir, no sir" handling of Openreach have failed to have it corrected?
Have you accessed the conventionally worded complaints AA have earlier sent to Openreach over the last four or five months, which have in the past resulted in yet again a valid diagnosis, job to rectify booked, then cancelled for no good reason?
How many of the OP's neighbours also have duff connections?

Which ISP do you suggest to the OP will finally get this resolved? Or is making helpful suggestion completely alien to your way of thinking?

Have you a way to get the fault fixed? You could make a lot of money if you could do better than AA at getting Openreach to handle problems.

Do they pay you to disparage users and ISP methods?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Feb-17 21:44:24
Print Post

A little reading and a simple examination of the OP's posting history, which any experience member of these forums wishing to help would have carried out, would show you how simplistically you have posted in this thread.

(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 22:57:15
Print Post

Look back to my Pulse8 days and you will see I had this error and disconnection problem AS WELL as single thread problems. Look back to the start of this thread and you will see AA SORTED single thread problems that followed me within a couple of days. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aaisp/t/4516661-re-... The thread has since continued with the underground fault, which understandably confuses some of you that prefer to find fault over looking back over the thread. As for your elusive 'Information', I have stated dozens of times that the bad insulation and earth loop problems are INTERMITTENT during periods of wet weather, just as I forecvast a couple of days ago. What do you not understand about an intermittent fault?

Edited by professor973 (Fri 24-Feb-17 23:24:42)

(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 12:26:23
Print Post

Whoo - Better news Bob. Below is part of an Email I have had from Shaun this morning - Busy beavering away on a weekend despite being out of the office until mid-next week.
The new duct work has been planned and it has a completion date of Wednesday 01/03/17. The DSO have emailed the contractors to advise this is an escalation and to ensure the work goes ahead without any delays.
At last Openreach have been pushed into action by what is considered one of, if not the best ISP. Thank you Shaun and AA, who seem to have even resolved the silly PAT fault situation and fingers crossed for next week. All of the above makes me reconsider the importance of 4K video over a good ISP.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 12:51:00
Print Post

Hope everything works out and OR dont cancel this job laugh
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Feb-17 13:09:23
Print Post

Fingers crossed indeed.

Good luck!

(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 13:18:17
Print Post

Yeah, hoping not canceled again and that it fixed the insulation/earth loop. If not, it will be between new walkway chamber and penultimate pole. After that everything ducted and easier, so fingers along with everything else than can be crossed.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-17 17:18:58
Print Post

I would imagine they are originally polite, and that tone is after inadequate responses from openreach.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-17 17:24:19
Print Post

it beats the chinese whispers games other isps play. Most isps I expect would give up.

I notice how you trying to shift the subject onto aaisp's conduct to get away from openreach just plainly refusing to spend money to fix a problem.

This to me is significant evidence as to why openreach need splitting up from BT.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-17 17:25:34
Print Post

the remote line testers are not 100%, they far from it, they designed to even pass tests when a fault exists to save money on repairs.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-17 17:26:40
Print Post

or someone got embarrassed by the information made public here and decided to authorise the expense smile

(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 17:46:40
Print Post

Saying as it is, is the only way in my book - Not that it wins you many friends.
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 17:56:59
Print Post

Exactly correct.There are many inadequate responses I could repost, but I think most have caught on to the level of OR service. Polite and professional and not giving up like others have. But after being taken for a mug several times, just like poker, you need to play aggressive and call the bluff. At the end of the day, I hope this is nothing but positive publicity for AA, along with something of note for others with intermittent faults. If your line is not playing up when an engineer visits, they will proclaim nothing wrong and try to force the ISP to close the fault, even when they can see many losses of sync and faulty copper showing on test equipment. With a PAT fault, it may take longer than their guarantee of a fix in a month, but AA are still the best bet for a fix.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 25-Feb-17 17:59:32)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 18:05:15
Print Post

Haven't you worked out where you need to tip a few buckets of water not long before you expect an engineer visit?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Feb-17 18:08:54
Print Post

Good thinking smile.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 18:26:31
Print Post

What you have to understand is that the remote line tester software is written by the absolute best programmers in the world. Anybody that can write software that will run faultlessly on a patently broken line has got to be brilliant!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-17 20:52:17
Print Post

There are various complaint channels an ISP can use if they are unhappy. I would like to know if these were exhausted.

Being unprofessional in business doesn't get you anywhere.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-17 20:54:05
Print Post

You have any evidence of this claim?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-17 21:02:13
Print Post

to post it with evidence that would give it credibility not without someone losing their job.

We do know of course that in cases where engineers have decided to ignore passed tests and do manual diagnosis, faults have been found such as corroded joints which JDSU and remote line tests fail to pick up.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 25-Feb-17 21:03:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Feb-17 21:03:05
Print Post

Do you know, or are you suggesting that AA have not exhausted those channels, just as all previous ISPs will have done? Have you any evidence to that effect when the case history is clearly that Openreach are avoiding their responsibilities?

Have you any suggestions for what a small (or any) ISP should do when those channels fail? ISP's whose turnover is probably less than BT Group is willing to spend (out of petty cash) on lawyers if things went legal?

Why are you continuing to defend the clearly indefensible? A customer, (AA), is fully entitled to say anything they like to a stubborn, recalcitrant and obligation-failing supplier when all normal and polite channels have failed.

The consumer, (professor973), does however have other options open. He/she is not tied by any contract with Openreach or in this case even with any part of BT. CEOs of Openreach, BT Wholesale, and Group are legitimate channels, as is his MP.

You are being ... words fail me.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Feb-17 21:05:48
Print Post

TWIFOPS

smile

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 25-Feb-17 21:08:39)

(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 21:27:50
Print Post

Lol
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sun 26-Feb-17 03:25:40
Print Post

Sorry, but where have I defended Openreach here?

All I have pointed out is that I am very surprised at the comments from a A&A member of staff to one of their suppliers. It doesn't matter that it is Openreach, it's the fact that I would expect to see a level of professional courtesy extended between both sides not matter how frustrating things are in the situation in hand.

There are many unanswered questions here. It's easy for people to sit behind a PC screen and make fruitless allegations (which often happens on here), but the reality is there is not a complete picture here from all sides. It may be very simple and Openreach are completely in the wrong, or it may be quite complex (I am not talking about the actual fault here). Without seeing the whole picture, people are just widely slinging allegations and you have actual engineers providing their input who are being shot down for no reason.

Openreach has a very comprehensive complaint's process that an ISP can go through, but you have to follow the steps (I only wanted to know if these had been followed and to what stage). For a fibre issue, this ultimately ends up with the Head of Fibre. If the resolution is not satisfactory then, you can escalate to DSO who have powers to take action outside of the normal processes (often you read on here that Openreach cannot do this, which is far from true). Either way though, a complaint that goes through the processes will reach the top of Openreach and in the unlikely event no resolution is reached then, you can go down the ADR route.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sun 26-Feb-17 03:37:05
Print Post

Your allegations are fruitless and reckless, to say the least.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Feb-17 10:20:13
Print Post

Which just shows you are determined to plough on in apparently complete ignorance of the easily available history of this problem since it was first posted about literally years ago. You seem to have a closed mind approach resulting from a couple of posts containing justified remarks by AA, whatever your personal opinion of that language and how the matter should be handled by them.

Oddly, it looks as though there is a slight possibility that Openreach are actually going to deal appropriately with the fault, which is something at least two other ISOs have failed to achieve. Though I am not convinced a dig is going to happen, and I expect the OP has the same doubt.

That rather makes it look as though what you have seen posted is the only language Openreach understand.

As you claim to know these steps and procedures, it might help if you listed them, so the OP can tell you which he is aware of having been followed by any one of the at least four ISPs he has been with while it continued. You would, amazingly, possibly help the OP in asking his ISP if certain ones of them have been tried. Instead of putting yourself forward as a supreme judge of how to get things sorted. With no facts other than what has been copied into this thread to go on.

It is also abundantly clear that individual engineers are not being "shot down". They can only report back on whatever they have been tasked to do, however inappropriate those instructions are. I am quite sure the OP is not criticising them personally.

As for some of the detail of your post:-

1) It is patently clear this is not a fibre fault, so your suggested route there is fatuous.

2) You seem to suggest that the best ISP known about on these forums is ignorant of official channels. But being a relative minnow, as I pointed out previously, they are restricted to the actions specified in their contracts with BT Wholesale and Openreach. Those parts of BT Group have clearly allowed the line problem to persist for years, despite being known to have multiple instances of diagnostic evidence of it. Can you explain how multiple disconnections per day at times are not service affecting?

3) Would you care to explain which ISP's ADR provider the OP should approach? If we assume AAISP, not one of the earlier ones, how he does that without either the eight week wait after they tell him they aren't going to bother, which they haven't done. Quite the opposite in fact, as publicly stated by their representative in this thread. Nor obviously is the OP likely to be receiving a deadlock letter, for the same reason.

4) Given that the ADR system is for resolution of disputes between an end user and their Communications Provider, and the OP has no dispute whatsoever over this matter with any of the ISPs who have tried to resolve it, why have you made such an irrelevant suggestion to be used as a final resort?

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sun 26-Feb-17 11:33:13
Print Post

I'm not sure what your problem is with me here.

I merely stated a couple of times I was very surprised at the language used by a member of A&A support staff. I am not the only one in this regard...

I asked some very reasonable questions that are unanswered, namely on compensation and how far this was escalated within Openreach. The OP's comment yesterday showed that it had been escalated to DSO (who would have been the best team to resolve this) and it looks like progress is being made. I strongly suspect that previous ISPs never even took this to that level, even though it would have been an option for them.

As for the engineers, I am referring to the ones on this forum.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Feb-17 11:55:51
Print Post

As most of us are only aware of one declared Openreach engineer on these forums these days, your reference to any other engineers was once again spurious. Only Openreach engineers on a job attending to the fault are relevant to the resolution of the fault.

My problem with you here is that on the basis of two clearly exasperated extracts from the conversation of an AAISP staff member with Openreach you have slammed him and the company as unprofessional. Something which, frankly, is a ludicrous assertion for you to make.

You also have no idea whatsoever of what has gone before, you have clearly no knowledge (or didn't earlier in this thread) of the history of the extent to which Openreach have repeatedly screwed up ISPs and the end user about this line.

You then continued into professional jobsworth style argument about official procedures, and my previous reply to you I believe convincingly shot down the bulk of what you were spouting.

Do these extensive procedures exist? If so, how come any ISP ever fails to get a problem line fixed? How come AAISP is the outstanding ISP so far as anyone knows at getting Openreach to deal with problems?

You suspect ...! Quite. A load of supposition, drivel, and unjustified criticism with little or no evidence to support it throughout the thread. Just because you took offence at the intemperate wording of two communications.

"I suppose", nay, am dead sure, that if you were doing that staff member's job you would have folded under Openreach's stone-walling attitude long ago.

Only you would never get past an interview there.

(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 12:00:31
Print Post

Why is it, that there is always some know-all - know [censored] all that has to get on his snotty high horse here and ridicule everyone and everything. The faults, investigations, results, planned digs, cancellations, incompetent engineers and a VERY polite AA are all documented here. Most of which were met with total ignorance from Openreach and a couple here. ALL channels were exhausted and met with broken promises. There is evidence of escalation through the relevant channels, all to no avail. HLE into DSO and only in the last week their planning department. The ignorance of Openreach has been a big battle. We are talking nearly TWO years with a known underground fault, with Openreach hiding behind the ridiculousness PAT fault parameters to dodge and cancel planned work. Permission to dig went in in August 2015 for the original A55, then just continually pushed further and further into the long grass, with someone eventually taking it off the system. For MONTHS, Openreach REFUSED to involve HLE, OR to correctly categorize the fault to one that is service effecting. Being polite and just accepting the behavior of openreach got AA nowhere, just like the three other ISPs that tried. OR continually tried to force the ticket closed, if refused to keep wasting time with a never ending stream of engineers. An example here, so suggest you butt out and stop aggravating users with what is not your problem or OP. Fortunately, you are not in a position to "expect" anything in this case. https://postimg.org/image/jzjrwlzy9/

Edited by professor973 (Sun 26-Feb-17 12:01:48)

(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 12:14:00
Print Post

Oi Mr. Knowall, where are instances of inappropriate language? - I certainly don't think "Do you think it funny to continually break promises?" or "Do your job and escalate this NOW" after being treated badly can be categorizes as bad language - just demanding what should not need demanding when a ticket goes in.
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 12:18:28
Print Post

Re: Single thread congestion. (Update from the ISP) *DELETED*

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sun 26-Feb-17 12:33:56
Print Post

You've crossed the line (again) with personal attacks so I am stepping away from this thread now.
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 12:44:18
Print Post

Re: Single thread congestion. (Update from the ISP) *DELETED*

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:01:16
Print Post

"Oi Mr. Knowall" is now a personal attack laugh.

I am frequently (falsely) accused in a different forum by three or four people who always gang up against anyone who disagrees with them as seeing personal attacks on me where there wasn't one. I do however remark on attacking posts from those people.

Even I would be able to withstand the quoted phrase from them, and it seems to me the only possible one referred to.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:31:27
Print Post

Thread closed

We do not endorse threats of violence against other posters, and that combined with what is clearly a degree of anger or misunderstanding has lead to a poster making these threats.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:33:11
Print Post

So you did a self censure, but the tone of the post was totally clear and was going to leave poster free to continue posting, but clearly the previous post and this one that I'm dealing with suggest that some time away from forums to consider their attitude is required.

(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:34:17
Print Post

Well It seems to be simply stating what appears a fact. There are a few that like nothing better than rubbishing the output of others. My line problem has gone on longer than the 'Openreach Employment' threads, so should be perfectly clear to all but the pedantic.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:35:24
Print Post

Closed

Closed to draw a line under what started as something sensible but degenerated into a battle of wills and words.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to