User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-17 22:20:31
Print Post

VMG1312-B10A Unreliable, Alternatives ?

[link to this post]

I have recently been regraded to fttc from old fashioned ADSL and i'm using the AAISP supplied VMG1312-B10A modem. I disable everything on it like wifi/firewalling/upnp and use it as a fairly basic modem in routed mode.

I open up snmp from the LAN side and forward syslog back to the linux firewall facing it.

When in ADSL mode it manages to get to 3 days before crashing, now in vdsl mode it only lasts 2 days before crashing. Stops responding to pings, stops forwarding packets, UI unresponsive, needs a power cycle despite there being LED activity.

I'm going to try bridged mode with pppoe/pppoa (I haven't worked out which i need yet) but this means I need to change a bunch of addressing/firewalling on my linux firewall.

Has anyone else found this device to be unreliable and if so, what other devices have people used instead ?

Thanks

Gavin
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Jan-17 22:55:39
Print Post

Re: VMG1312-B10A Unreliable, Alternatives ?

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

On FTTC I found it fine in pure router mode fed by my HG612, but no IPv6, and utter rubbish when I tried it in modem/router mode. Getting it to work as a pure modem was beyond me.

Finally I dropped it and the HG612 and bought a Billion 8800NL R2. Very pleased with it since installation on 17 December, only letdown is the wifi is only 2.4GHz. Which is no real problem to me.

Setting up dual band IPv6/IPv4 took me a couple of hours or so but has been rock solid since.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-17 23:02:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have a software tunnel from the linux host to endless, the modem isn't talking ipv6 at all.

I think i can work out ipv4 and pppoe, but at that point I guess i'll be seeing native ipv6 hitting the ppp interface which i currently terminate with tun0 and I'm not quite sure how i reinstate ipv6 on a ppp interface.

I also do wireless elswhere in the network, i disable that in the VMG1312-B10A.

Thanks for the reference to the BIllion, I will look it up.

Anyone else have any other alternatives ?

Edited by gavsdavs (Fri 20-Jan-17 23:03:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Jan-17 23:12:47
Print Post

If you don't mind using a 2 box solution, then consider the excellent Draytek Vigor 130 hooked up to any standalone router. Otherwise something like the Tplink VR900 would be good also.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 20-Jan-17 23:15:58)

Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-17 23:41:21
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I am not sure what you mean by a 2 box solution.

At present and previously i have used the zyxel modem in routed mode, where my /30 ends up on an interface of my linux firewall and the router has its own /32 address on it's external interface as it's running its own pppd talking to A&A.

I have the option of putting the zyxel into bridging mode and using it purely as a modem, and having the linux host run the pppd talking to AAISP. The external IP currently on the zyxel moves to the linux host.

I think i either will be using a modem/router (a single box, as it is now), or the same, single box as a purely modem.

Why do I need a second box ?

Gavin
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 23:50:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Using the information from https://support.aa.net.uk/VMG1312:_Bugs I have the VMG1312-B10A almost perfectly (FTTC and modem and router). The only issue is if there is a remote loss of the PPP session IPv6 fails and I have to do a full reboot of the router (as documented on the support page). Apart from that issue it's fine.

I've actually found I'm getting a more reliable connection than I was with the HG612 - I had an issue with my central heating - when the hot water thermostat turned the boiler off I frequently found the HG612 lost sync. That hasn't happened at all with the ZyXEL.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Jan-17 01:34:12
Print Post

On a Huawei FTTC cabinet the Vigor 130 I had made a complete mess of the connection. Heavy banding resulted, not yet fully removed but vastly improved after three days of the Billion.

Irrelevant though to the OP I gather, who is on ADSL2+.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Jan-17 01:39:08
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Mine didn't play that well I'm afraid. When used in modem/router mode it was highly unstable so didn't hold IPv6 for more than a day or so.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Jan-17 04:24:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by gavsdavs:
I am not sure what you mean by a 2 box solution.

2 box solution = xdsl modem + standalone router.

Personally this is what I prefer, a standalone router is far more powerful than a combined unit, you can do things like run a OpenVPN server on it (with the right fw) and best of all, you can reboot the router as often as you like without messing up your sync rate.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-17 10:35:10
Print Post

Ok i see. What you're referring to a "standalone router", I use "Linux machine".
Does ipv6 termination, firewalling, vpn endpoints, dhcp forwarding between its private interfaces.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to