User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 22:25:15
Print Post

Re: Update

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

My thoughts exactly - That's what we pay line rental for. Seems to me, that Openreach want their cake and to eat it.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Mar-17 05:23:28
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

there is 2 sides to every story.

Openreach for sure take an approach where they are clearly minimising expenditure on fault processes, including incentives to not report faults (engineer fees). However openreach are also under constant pressure to reduce rental cost's and ofcom as they have recently shown seem to think its critical the LLU providers get what they want (which one thing is low openreach costs).

Isp's like AAISP are stuck in the middle, they not big enough for ofcom to care about, and they also dont like the service quality from openreach which the other isp's seem to accept in return for the low prices. What I like about AAISP tho is they refuse to accept the status quo and will fight the system as long as possible, whilst other small isp's like zen seem to just accept it.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Fri 17-Mar-17 09:00:42
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The problem that I have just encountered with my ISP (not AAISP) is that the status quo leads ISPs to conclude that any reported problem must always sit within the customer's property even though the evidence trail suggests that not to be the case. When I declined to jump through the ISP's hoops, I even suggested that I would be prepared to consider accepting a potential charge if they reported my situation (20 or so disconnects on the line in a week with 10 in one day) to BTOR. They declined to do so even though my speed had fallen by 20+% before DLM kicked in, and I could see the guys handling a 'cats cradle' of wiring in the old PCP. From time-to-time, there were even people at the site complaining about the frequent loss of their BB connections.

I have complained to BTOR about their failure to notify ISPs of this work etc. All that I got back was a standard reply saying that I should raise the matter with my ISP!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Mar-17 09:35:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

But in this case have totally failed to minimise expenditure - the many, many engineer visits without reaching a resolution will have cost them way more than if they had accepted the issue in the first place and done a proper repair!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Mar-17 13:51:16
Print Post

Re: Single Thread Congestion Part 2

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

A little rain down there now according to the weather radar and rubbish BB this last day at times, usually around midnight and midday ad usual, which is another thing to think about.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b45ea1b0d14...

Edited by professor973 (Fri 17-Mar-17 13:51:57)

Standard User farnz
(member) Fri 17-Mar-17 15:27:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
OR do not get their money automatically. They charge the provider, who when charged generally pass it on to the customer.

Providers are entitled to challenge the charge, but some seem never to bother unless the customer gets really stroppy, some fight back two or three times but cannot keep it up, often for good reason, sometimes without good reason.

AAISP just refuse to sign off the job, and refuse to pay up. They stick at it when there is clearly something that ought to be fixed and is provable.

Part of the issue is that CPE faults are common; for a typical ISP, if you assume that it's CPE or extension wiring, and act accordingly, you're going to be right more often than you're wrong. Further, it's hard to tell from basic RAIDUS logging (of the sort you'd get from a Cisco or Juniper LNS) whether the customer has simply rebooted their CPE, or whether they've also done the wiring change you've asked them to try.

AAISP's monitoring makes it easier for them to distinguish common CPE or extension wiring faults from network faults, and thus swings that calculus the other way - they can tell that you're not doing what you were asked to do, and react accordingly, and thus when they do refer a fault to their supplier, they're able to be confident that it is a network fault.

Oh, and their ability to exploit their highly technical customer subset is also helpful - how many ISPs would be able to (e.g.) get their customers to dump Ethernet frames on an interesting subset of lines and see if there's a pattern to a failure? Or stand up iperf servers for an interesting bit of speed testing? That enables AAISP to track hard faults.
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Mar-17 18:42:57
Print Post

Few spits of rain enough

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

And Lo! ... The skies darkened across the land on Friday as expected!
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b45ea1b0d14...
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Mar-17 17:16:17
Print Post

Re: Update 2

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Two weeks on and yesterday we were given today for completion - Would have been nice if they had turned up though. Getting beyond the joke now at two years and counting. Apparently, Openreach have changed their mind and are only going to dig out another ten metres of pavement and install a second walkway chamber. This will total the fifteen metre dig planned two years ago. You couldn't make Openreach incompetence and poor service up.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 28-Mar-17 17:17:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to