User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Tue 07-Mar-17 11:03:33
Print Post

Single Thread Congestion Part 2

[link to this post]

Any update Prof?

Standard User Angus973
(newbie) Sat 11-Mar-17 13:27:44
Print Post

Re: Single Thread Congestion Part 2

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Think he is banned.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 11-Mar-17 20:15:59
Print Post

[re: Angus973] [link to this post]

It wouldn't surprise me. Moderation on these forums sometimes is 'over eager.'

Hopefully we will get an update on his return.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tthom
(committed) Sun 12-Mar-17 00:09:59
Print Post

I was going to post this, I too am looking for an update very curious too see if it got fixed or delayed

Broadband Providers Aol(Adsl) /O2(Adsl)/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE(Adsl)/BT(Adsl)/BTW infinity80/20/Talktalk 80/20/BT INFINITY 80/20..
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User Angus973
(newbie) Sun 12-Mar-17 00:42:16
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

There are rumors Openreach dug in the wrong place and made things worse Lol
Standard User tthom
(committed) Sun 12-Mar-17 01:05:23
Print Post

If that was the case he would be or is suicidal

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE//BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 09:56:36
Print Post

Can people who are banned read PMs?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Mar-17 10:02:45
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Not if they jumped in the hole before Openreach filled it in.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 18:20:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah, but from the hole, you can bypass a ban, allowing posting as well as reading!
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 20:07:00
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Have you made any progress?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 20:52:38
Print Post

With regard to progress, Openreach have not come up to the mark. It's still there on the pavement. Original A55 went in for 15m of duct to a new walkway chamber. They dug in 3m of duct from last pole to a new chamber. The resultant broadband was worse. Take a close look here, especially at 6:15pm, the point where I installed yet another purchase - A Billion 8800NL R2.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/afc7e803b84...

From that point on, which is 50 hours up to now, my BB has not dropped one byte. Snapshot as of now - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/020104ee30e...

Just waiting for rain to see how bad the next episode may be, but at least a very usable line at the moment with full AA IPv6 - Quite a feat for any router.
So yes, I have made a little progress, which is more than can be said for Openreach. Still they turn up every day to this street, and to say that I fell out with the last one here a couple of days ago would be an understatement. They will not be in here again and please themselves what they mess up in the street.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Sun 12-Mar-17 21:40:01
Print Post

You cleared your fault by buying another router?
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 22:31:47
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

No - Made it a lot better by pulling the ISP zYXel which is rubbish here. It was in the saddle again to allow AA to monitor. A dozen routers here and the Billion the first to run AA IPv6, also as I have said, I will see how bad the next episode is when we have rain, but at least usable in the meantime and good routers I have here don't go bad when it rains, with the notable exception of the zyXel, they are simply bad here all the time!

Edited by professor973 (Sun 12-Mar-17 22:34:37)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 23:14:41
Print Post

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which routers are good or bad. I had an OpenReach supplied HG612 while on Plusnet on what is a very good short line - attainable over 90Mbps. However most days when the central heating boiler heated the hot water up to temperature and cut out around 12:30pm I lost sync. On AAISP using the ZyXEL I'm getting the same sync and attainable but no drops!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Mar-17 01:43:31
Print Post

But have you got it running IPv6?

It probably did on Day 1, but may not be by now.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Mar-17 09:17:16
Print Post

As I've posted before it's running IPv6 absolutely fine except for one issue: after a PPP drop it has to be rebooted. But as that is averaging about once a month that's OK.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14887...

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Mon 13-Mar-17 09:18:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Mar-17 09:51:10
Print Post

I'd forgotten you had posted that. Sorry. Losing it after a PPP drop is of course the underlying problem that apparently isn't going to be bothered with by ZyXel on the AA version.

(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Mar-17 14:39:23
Print Post

Hopefully the Billion 8800NL R2 we are running and under test at AA will soon be rolled out. Even if not rolled out as official ISP router, it is a very good recommendation that will run AA IPv6 at a low price.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Mar-17 15:13:35
Print Post

What did AAISP say about the "repair" work, and are they still badgering OR?
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Mar-17 20:03:06
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

OR still trying to force AA to accept a fault cleared and blaming customer equipment, despite BT line tests failing. Not much changes with OR Lol AA Still pushing, but a struggle when OR insist it's a non service effecting PAT fault.

Edited by professor973 (Mon 13-Mar-17 20:09:59)

Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 13-Mar-17 21:42:23
Print Post

Any point of a complaint to OFCOM?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Mar-17 00:10:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Hopefully the Billion 8800NL R2 we are running and under test at AA will soon be rolled out. Even if not rolled out as official ISP router, it is a very good recommendation that will run AA IPv6 at a low price.
Definitely the best modem component I found out of five. Seven to eight Mbps higher sync and far better error stats than either of my HG612s. Those who buy it on those grounds may wish to put it into bridge mode to an existing router for 5GHz wifi and/or multiple Gb ethernet ports, as it only has (good) 2.4GHz wifi and a single Gb port + four 100Mbps ports. Which is fine for me but not everyone.

Alternatively they can feed a Gbps multiport switch and or a 5GHz WAP off it for the LAN.

(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 00:19:53
Print Post

I doubt it. As you might expect, no amount of reorganization or taming OR will be enough as far as I am concerned.
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 00:22:03
Print Post

Agree Bob. Just like my other Billion workhorse, the ADSL2+ 7800N rock solid and very few errors, or at least as solid as anything can be here Lol
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Mar-17 01:52:25
Print Post

Look in my sig at what my Billion just gave me!

I was drafting a post just before 00:30, and went to Preview. SPinning what's-its on every browser tab I had.

Result in sig. Also see HappyBunny on MyDslWebStats.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 68233/15526Kbps @ 600m. (SNRM=5dB?)BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 14:30:52
Print Post

Apparently a local field manager is visiting site tomorrow to scratch his head. Having driven 400 miles overnight with no sleep, so as to watch the start of Cheltenham racing from our Hamilton home, how much do you think I care? Though we at the mercy of EE for a couple of weeks. That sais, EE here has been pretty solid of late .... Fingers crossed smile
Standard User Angus973
(newbie) Tue 14-Mar-17 14:34:28
Print Post

It would be cheaper for all parties, if Openreach gave you goodwill FTTP Lol
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 16:20:29
Print Post

I presume said field manager carefully consulted the weather records and forecast to make sure it had been dry for a few days before and on the day of his planned visit? God forbid he should actually visit when it was playing up!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 16:53:19
Print Post

That would be an easy way to maximize his days out Lol. That said and with the new better performing router, my Radius log is showing lost carrier two or three times per day, but far more usable than it was - Rain forecast Friday.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 14-Mar-17 16:55:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Mar-17 11:23:47
Print Post

Interesting, but seen as the previous ban has now expired I guess that is why you are back on your usual account

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Mar-17 12:49:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No, the same account, but you will see I am up in our Scottish home. I see the other person ending 973, but assure you not posted from here. Someone having fun when I could not answer I reckon. I would not worry, I can get by on my during a ban Andrew, In contact with TBB friends on email but could not get a response from above.

Edited by professor973 (Wed 15-Mar-17 12:53:14)

(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Mar-17 16:32:54
Print Post

Update

Remote monitoring shows my line opened up for a while today, at the new walkway chamber I assume. Looks like they are at last ripping out the 50 odd year old un-ducted aluminium cable right back to the penultimate pole. As it contains nothing confidential, below is a cut and paste from Shaun entered on my superbly informative AA control page today. Two years and counting, but looks like AA perseverance got the result others could or would not. A good advert for AA.
Note The engineer has attended this morning and found approx 80 metres of faulty cable. New duct will be required followed by a new 20 pair cable. The engineer found an intermittent battery fault on this section of cable. The necessary paperwork has now been submitted. I will review this on Friday 17/03/17 to see if there is any more information and come back to you before 5pm. If I get anything earlier I will let you know.

Edited by professor973 (Wed 15-Mar-17 16:39:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Mar-17 17:46:34
Print Post

Re: Update

It's a dead cert no other ISP would have got this far on a retail customer. But once this job is completed, until it has worked for a while, including rainstorms, you can't be certain it's fixed of course.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Mar-17 18:01:24
Print Post

Totally agree Bob. It's not the only piece of old aluminium on this creaking loop, but a step in the right direction that should have been done in 2015, though looks like going to dig pavement right back to penultimate pole which will help. Nice to get a visit where cable condition is actually reported, instead of reporting a perfect line if BB showing no errors at the time. BQM showing lost packets and high latency this morning with no use prior to visit.
For the last week even after a change to a new router, this has been the BT response" Customers Equipment, Error or Misoperation;Fault reported to OpenReach on PSTN line
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/c99d23f9091...

Edited by professor973 (Wed 15-Mar-17 18:13:57)

Standard User wingco1
(legend) Wed 15-Mar-17 22:01:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I seem to remember you recently admonished someone for trolling. Practice what you preach!

(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 00:46:06
Print Post

It's OK. When banned here I could still read all posts. Several her could confirm my contact with them by other means to continue debate. Apart from that, being banned has never bothered me and certainly won't stop me giving as good as I get to those that deliberately provoke me, something I got used to long ago here. I would go steady though, or your tilt light may come up also ..... Then what would you do Lol
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 11:12:24
Print Post

So how come this engineer found faulty cable and the other 100000 engineers never did?
Standard User Angus973
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:10:35
Print Post

D'ye no ken? ....... Greet Lol
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:18:53
Print Post

It's the way Openreach work. Despite being aware of what has been found, if the intermittent fault is showing no broadband errors when an engineer visits, their report says "No errors" and just walk away. Openreach then try to force the ISP to close the ticket, or face another waste of time engineer visit. As for the actual work, when categorized as a non-service impacting fault, even when it obviously is, there is NO target repair time, which means they can sit on it as long as they like - 2 years in my case. Something I and several ISPs have suffered for far too long.
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:21:07
Print Post

Ken who?

Edited by professor973 (Thu 16-Mar-17 12:22:22)

Standard User lexden16
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:31:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
It's the way Openreach work. Despite being aware of what has been found, if the intermittent fault is showing no broadband errors when an engineer visits, their report says "No errors" and just walk away. Openreach then try to force the ISP to close the ticket, or face another waste of time engineer visit. As for the actual work, when categorized as a non-service impacting fault, even when it obviously is, there is NO target repair time, which means they can sit on it as long as they like - 2 years in my case. Something I and several ISPs have suffered for far too long.

I can understand why small ISPs might feel intimidated by BTOR (AAISP being the exception) but I have never understood why the larger ISPs do not wish to take them on? I have just suffered - along with many others I suspect - nearly 4 weeks of FTTC disconnections whilst BTOR replaced a PCP and moved 600 consumer lines. The work was not pre-notified to the ISPs and, when I challenged my ISP about it, I was asked to check my router etc (which I declined to do), My router log shows 44 re-connections since 1 March. Even with this evidence to hand and a photo of the guys working between the 2 cabinets, the ISP told me that there was nothing it could do. I suggested that a complaint to BTOR might be in order! I am now looking to move my line to AAISP.
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:53:20
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

That could be a very good move if your line is anything like mine. AA have persevered where others would not, with some simply saying nothing can be done. They have made good ISPs such as pulse8 give up the will to live, and although it took longer that the 1 month target for an AA fix, I feel there is no better advert for them than my line.

Edited by professor973 (Thu 16-Mar-17 12:58:56)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:59:33
Print Post

Why have you not been charged for these OR visits? Obviously you shouldnt be as there is a fault, but if OR say there isnt doesnt that usually mean the customer has to pay for the callout?
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 17:12:40
Print Post

As I understand it, there is only a charge if a fault found with customers equipment. That has never been the case on any visit. It is Openrerach that keep sending engineers if the ISP will not sign off the ticket. Shaun has refused to sign it off. He has also told them more visits are a waste of time while the dig work has not been completed, but OR are a law unto themselves. The AA control page that allows you to see all between AA and OR and BT Radius log, is quite an eye opener. It shows Openreach as a total bully toward ISPs.

Edited by professor973 (Thu 16-Mar-17 17:23:55)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 17:36:09
Print Post

Need a bucket full of water next time wink
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 17:38:46
Print Post

Trouble is OR get their money whether they fix a fault or not. There is no competition. It costs far more for them to dig up a road, fix the fault etc which i would imagine isnt cheap to do for what is 1 customer. Easier to say its the customers fault

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 16-Mar-17 17:39:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Mar-17 18:16:58
Print Post

OR do not get their money automatically. They charge the provider, who when charged generally pass it on to the customer.

Providers are entitled to challenge the charge, but some seem never to bother unless the customer gets really stroppy, some fight back two or three times but cannot keep it up, often for good reason, sometimes without good reason.

AAISP just refuse to sign off the job, and refuse to pay up. They stick at it when there is clearly something that ought to be fixed and is provable.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:39:22
Print Post

The thing is though, is that there are 20 of us on that decrepit piece of aluminium. While the dig was being done in the wrong place, the engineers were being hassled by residents with problems. One elderly lady who recently moved in and ordered BT broadband, has just had a hub with a red light for two months. Engineers could not get it running and the lady was told it wa sher internal equipment to blame. I am not sure if she has extensions in her single bedroom bungalow or not, but that seems far from good enough to me.
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:44:10
Print Post

Not once have I been warned of possible charges with AA, and to be fair, the same was the case with Pulse8, but they just got beaten into submission in the end. Others use possible charges as a scare tactic. Never worried here, as I have no extensions and a new master socket fitted every few months by engineers ans always tested trouble free from inside my property.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:59:52
Print Post

They charge the ISP if the fault is in the customers property right? So who pays if its a genuine fault outside of the customers property in this case here?

Im assuming OR foot the bill as thats what they're paid to maintain, and the cost of digging up a road and repair work isnt cheap
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 22:25:15
Print Post

My thoughts exactly - That's what we pay line rental for. Seems to me, that Openreach want their cake and to eat it.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Mar-17 05:23:28
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

there is 2 sides to every story.

Openreach for sure take an approach where they are clearly minimising expenditure on fault processes, including incentives to not report faults (engineer fees). However openreach are also under constant pressure to reduce rental cost's and ofcom as they have recently shown seem to think its critical the LLU providers get what they want (which one thing is low openreach costs).

Isp's like AAISP are stuck in the middle, they not big enough for ofcom to care about, and they also dont like the service quality from openreach which the other isp's seem to accept in return for the low prices. What I like about AAISP tho is they refuse to accept the status quo and will fight the system as long as possible, whilst other small isp's like zen seem to just accept it.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Fri 17-Mar-17 09:00:42
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The problem that I have just encountered with my ISP (not AAISP) is that the status quo leads ISPs to conclude that any reported problem must always sit within the customer's property even though the evidence trail suggests that not to be the case. When I declined to jump through the ISP's hoops, I even suggested that I would be prepared to consider accepting a potential charge if they reported my situation (20 or so disconnects on the line in a week with 10 in one day) to BTOR. They declined to do so even though my speed had fallen by 20+% before DLM kicked in, and I could see the guys handling a 'cats cradle' of wiring in the old PCP. From time-to-time, there were even people at the site complaining about the frequent loss of their BB connections.

I have complained to BTOR about their failure to notify ISPs of this work etc. All that I got back was a standard reply saying that I should raise the matter with my ISP!!
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Mar-17 09:35:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

But in this case have totally failed to minimise expenditure - the many, many engineer visits without reaching a resolution will have cost them way more than if they had accepted the issue in the first place and done a proper repair!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Mar-17 13:51:16
Print Post

A little rain down there now according to the weather radar and rubbish BB this last day at times, usually around midnight and midday ad usual, which is another thing to think about.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b45ea1b0d14...

Edited by professor973 (Fri 17-Mar-17 13:51:57)

Standard User farnz
(member) Fri 17-Mar-17 15:27:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
OR do not get their money automatically. They charge the provider, who when charged generally pass it on to the customer.

Providers are entitled to challenge the charge, but some seem never to bother unless the customer gets really stroppy, some fight back two or three times but cannot keep it up, often for good reason, sometimes without good reason.

AAISP just refuse to sign off the job, and refuse to pay up. They stick at it when there is clearly something that ought to be fixed and is provable.

Part of the issue is that CPE faults are common; for a typical ISP, if you assume that it's CPE or extension wiring, and act accordingly, you're going to be right more often than you're wrong. Further, it's hard to tell from basic RAIDUS logging (of the sort you'd get from a Cisco or Juniper LNS) whether the customer has simply rebooted their CPE, or whether they've also done the wiring change you've asked them to try.

AAISP's monitoring makes it easier for them to distinguish common CPE or extension wiring faults from network faults, and thus swings that calculus the other way - they can tell that you're not doing what you were asked to do, and react accordingly, and thus when they do refer a fault to their supplier, they're able to be confident that it is a network fault.

Oh, and their ability to exploit their highly technical customer subset is also helpful - how many ISPs would be able to (e.g.) get their customers to dump Ethernet frames on an interesting subset of lines and see if there's a pattern to a failure? Or stand up iperf servers for an interesting bit of speed testing? That enables AAISP to track hard faults.
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Mar-17 18:42:57
Print Post

Few spits of rain enough

And Lo! ... The skies darkened across the land on Friday as expected!
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b45ea1b0d14...
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Mar-17 17:16:17
Print Post

Re: Update 2

Two weeks on and yesterday we were given today for completion - Would have been nice if they had turned up though. Getting beyond the joke now at two years and counting. Apparently, Openreach have changed their mind and are only going to dig out another ten metres of pavement and install a second walkway chamber. This will total the fifteen metre dig planned two years ago. You couldn't make Openreach incompetence and poor service up.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 28-Mar-17 17:17:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to