User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:47:48
Print Post

Migration Questions - Help Please.

[link to this post]

I am considering a BB migration to AAISP. I need about 200 to 250GB a month download but the pricing between their low and high quota products makes the decision tricky.

Any quality issues between the 250Gb and 1Tb services? I appreciate that the latter is on TT Business backhaul.

I have quality issues on my present copper pair (high latency and DLM) . As I am interested in VOIP, should I migrate to a new copper pair and port my number across when the BB is up and running?

Anything else (apart from cost) that I should factor in before pushing the migration button?

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Mar-17 12:37:00
Print Post

Re: Migration Questions - Help Please.

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I'm not sure what you mean by migrating to a new copper pair.

Do you mean obtain one, (from which supplier?) then migrate the broadband to it from the existing one? Your current broadband or a newly established AA one on the existing copper?

I just can't picture the sequence that doesn't result in a full broadband cease. As opposed to the instant cease and reprovide that occurs on migrations to and from non-BTW connections.

Ah, re-reading, you mean new line from AA, then migrate the broadband to the chosen product on that line? That might work. Which ISP are you with?

Note you could also stay on BTW on the 350GB option, costing a fiver more than the 1GB TalkTalk business one, if you would feel safer. Or go on the 250GB and risk the occasional £10 for an extra 50GB with carry-over to the subsequent month.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 12:58:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank for your helpful response. The reason that I am going through these mind games is because my max attainable speed has fallen by 25% from 85 to 66 following 3 weeks of a 100% change of lines to a new PCP. After 11 re-connects on Wednesday (33 in the past 7 days), DLM has final kicked in and brought my max speed down to 59. I am with Zen and their willingness to investigate the reduction in speed has been pretty poor. I was wondering whether a new pair would fair any better.

As I write, I have just got a response from AA to say that they can do it whatever way I want. If I want to stay on my existing copper pair they will take the BB; migrate the phone a day or so later (with a new number which I cannot use) and set up VOIP with my existing BT number.

I will post again when things are sorted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Mar-17 13:52:23
Print Post

It sounds as if you have banding on the line. AIUI that won't be removed by the migration unless you change Openreach product.

I suggest you check with other sources whether I'm right or not. Migrating onto a new line I think would not be a migration, more like a house move, which would get a new DLM automatically. Again - check with others.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 15:59:26
Print Post

My issues appear to be directly related to an ongoing PCP change - hopefully, BTOR will complete the work today. There was a queue of disgruntled neighbours at the site yesterday. I am now on my third re-connect for the day with profiles of 59.5/16.3, 63.7/13.5, 60.2/15.3, and 68.9/19.9 (in that order). Latency 7/6 and INP 3/2.

You are correct that a new copper pair would be a provide and not a migration in the true sense, so I would probably have to set up with AA and cancel with my existing ISP.
Standard User clivers
(regular) Fri 10-Mar-17 23:06:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
My issues appear to be directly related to an ongoing PCP change - hopefully, BTOR will complete the work today. There was a queue of disgruntled neighbours at the site yesterday. I am now on my third re-connect for the day with profiles of 59.5/16.3, 63.7/13.5, 60.2/15.3, and 68.9/19.9 (in that order). Latency 7/6 and INP 3/2.

You are correct that a new copper pair would be a provide and not a migration in the true sense, so I would probably have to set up with AA and cancel with my existing ISP.

I don't understand why you want to jump before they finish the migration?
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Sat 11-Mar-17 08:33:15
Print Post

Hi
Before I migrated to AAISP my previous ISP suggested I buy a "new line" as my old one was "impacted" and had underground battery which manifested itself only when heavy rain occured,
The upshot was that I now have two lines as all that openreach did was use the other copper pair on my existing line to my house as the "new line" and its even worse than the other one! I now have two "impacted" lines that get about 30% less speeds than projected and frequent disconnects and CRC errors when raining.
K
Standard User lexden16
(member) Sat 11-Mar-17 11:47:13
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clivers:
In reply to a post by lexden16:

I don't understand why you want to jump before they finish the migration?

This is the second time in 4 years that I have asked Zen for support and on both occasions their initial response has been 'we cannot contact BTOR....'
Standard User CecilWard
(newbie) Fri 14-Apr-17 00:48:28
Print Post

About the banding. I don't know too much about the subject because I don't have FTTC. But from what I've heard an OR engineer at a visit can remove it by contacting whoever. Would you ask AA about what to do to get it removed?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 01:19:08
Print Post

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Banding on FTTC is a somewhat mysterious subject. Originally it seemed to be intended to clear automatically over time if whatever caused it was temporary and went away.

It is thought that at the moment it will reduce in severity but not completely clear itself.

The only official way for it to be removed other than by just waiting and hoping is if an FTTC engineer fixes a fault then gets their control to reset DLM.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Apr-17 11:08:19
Print Post

gets their control to reset DLM.

Not even that complex Bob, as long as one knows the OGEA reference for the line (somewhat like the old CBUK for ADSL) then the reset can be done via the engineering number on the engineers phone.

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Apr-17 11:10:33
Print Post

AA cannot remove banding on FTTC like they can on ADSL2+. At least that is what they told me last week, though I am gaining some lost speed. More dig work to do. Did not turn up last week, or yesterday as promised, so little changed. AA keep pushing though ... 5 months and counting.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 11:18:13
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I meant to ask you yesterday how your "dig" was going. Then forgot, sorry frown.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Apr-17 16:22:01
Print Post

An absolute nightmare still Bob. Shaun still pushing, but continually let down with broken dig appointments. Having said that, my line is behaving fairly well at the moment.
The ten metres dug the other week had preparation for two walkway chambers. The dig team did not fit them, so the backfill team just buried the new connectors never to be accessed again. Could write a best seller detailing the shambles.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Apr-17 16:46:04
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Sheesh!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to