User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jul-17 21:56:20
Print Post

Please offer 30 days!

[link to this post]

If you did I am sure it would drive your sales!
Standard User Angus973
(newbie) Thu 13-Jul-17 23:34:57
Print Post

Re: Please offer 30 days!

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

So would unlimited. It certainly would have kept me.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Jul-17 12:28:22
Print Post

[re: Angus973] [link to this post]

I imagine it would also have degraded the quality of the service or required a price increase.

I can think of a provider with a high-end customer base as AA has that ran into a fair amount of trouble due to offering unlimited. BeUnlimited. Needed the O2 customer base to try and dilute the heavy usage of the Be users and even then remained loss making as far as I know.

If you aren't mass market unlimited is a difficult game to viably play.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Jul-17 21:33:12
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
I imagine it would also have degraded the quality of the service or required a price increase.

I can think of a provider with a high-end customer base as AA has that ran into a fair amount of trouble due to offering unlimited. BeUnlimited. Needed the O2 customer base to try and dilute the heavy usage of the Be users and even then remained loss making as far as I know.

If you aren't mass market unlimited is a difficult game to viably play.

I agree, I would like AA to do a 1 month option with upfront set up costs, seems fair?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Jul-17 21:41:34
Print Post

There's no such thing as "fair" smile.

Any supplier of anything can offer its goods and services for sale at any price and minimum terms it wishes, unless the price is regulated in some way.

The consumer can choose whether to buy or not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Jul-17 22:12:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, I hope they do offer something, but if not - someone else will/does
Standard User Angus973
(newbie) Sat 15-Jul-17 00:18:47
Print Post

I don't see why. I have switched to unlimited 80/20 FTTC for just about the same money. I have returned to a provider whose service matches the superb AAISP service, with free fixed IP, unlimited email addresses and free hosting. BTW based just the same.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jul-17 08:53:03
Print Post

I like 30 day contracts and UK based support. I have had these before and whilst I knew I could leave i was happy to stay with them. I feel more secure with 30 day contracts over long term ones, as weird as that sounds.

I don't need unlimited I rarely hit 300GB a month these days what with working and having Sky Q thesedays.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Jul-17 09:20:10
Print Post

AAISP are now offering 150GB, 250GB and 350GB on Home::1 at £55pm for the 350GB option with phone elsewhere. Or £65 to include the copper line but no phone service. An extra 50GB if needed is £10 and any of that unused runs over for one month.

Six-month minimum then monthly, early termination inside the six months £20 per calendar month.

Plus of course the 1TB product on 12 months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 15-Jul-17 10:42:12)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 15-Jul-17 09:23:26
Print Post

what a sad state BE ended in, they lost the ASA case, and decided to shut down operations instead of upgrading one single exchange to deal with that publicised customer.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 15-Jul-17 10:19:10
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

They couldn't compete with VDSL and their network couldn't handle the upgrade which is why I left
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jul-17 10:40:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
AAISP are now offering 150GB, 250GB and 350GB on Home::1 at £55pm for the 350GB option with phone elsewhere. Or £65 to include the copper line but no phone service. An extra 50GB if needed is £10 and any of that unused runs over for one month.

Six-month minimum then monthly, early termination inside the six months £20 per calendar month.

Plus of course the 1GB product on 12 months.

1TB you mean? tongue

I would go for the 1TB over the ADSL offering, but more likely if they did the 1 month option, even if they charged the full OR fees.

I know - I am weird :/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Jul-17 10:43:48
Print Post

Oops! Thanks. Fixed.

I didn't know about the 350GB offering though.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jul-17 11:04:03
Print Post

Oops! Thanks. Fixed.

I admit I didn't either, I thought it was 150/200/300

Good that they offer more.
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Sun 16-Jul-17 19:57:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Angus973:
I don't see why. I have switched to unlimited 80/20 FTTC for just about the same money. I have returned to a provider whose service matches the superb AAISP service, with free fixed IP, unlimited email addresses and free hosting. BTW based just the same.

Hi
Which is who? we have one line with AAISP and one with Pulse8
thanks
K
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Sun 16-Jul-17 21:06:17
Print Post

We've always like short minimum terms on services, and even today we offer 6 months on some of our VDSL services even though we are given 12 months minimum by the suppliers... We do 1 month on lots of other services, ADSL, VoIP numbers, Domains etc. The 1 month minimum on VDSL sounds great and of course we'll be looking in to offering this when possible. (More official details etc will be posted on our status site in due course)

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Sun 16-Jul-17 21:08:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Oops! Thanks. Fixed.

I admit I didn't either, I thought it was 150/200/300

Good that they offer more.

We added 50G to tariffs a little while ago https://aastatus.net/1844 smile

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Jul-17 21:19:16
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andrewhearn:
We added 50G to tariffs a little while ago https://aastatus.net/1844 smile
But there wasn't a 300GB tariff at that time Andrew. Only 100GB >> 150GB and 200GB >> 250GB smile.

I've even looked for an announcement since I discovered the 350GB in the main options list, and don't see one.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jul-17 19:50:23
Print Post

We've always like short minimum terms on services, and even today we offer 6 months on some of our VDSL services even though we are given 12 months minimum by the suppliers... We do 1 month on lots of other services, ADSL, VoIP numbers, Domains etc. The 1 month minimum on VDSL sounds great and of course we'll be looking in to offering this when possible. (More official details etc will be posted on our status site in due course)

Wicked, I'll bookmark and keep an eye out wink
Standard User Angus973
(newbie) Fri 21-Jul-17 18:10:38
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/t/4558769...
Standard User grahammm
(member) Sun 23-Jul-17 20:03:51
Print Post

A&A offer 'rolling' calendar monthly contracts, which I suspect is more convenient for most people than 30 days, as you always pay on the same day of each month (subject to weekends and public holidays). These just require one month's notice to cease. I have been on such a contract since I became a customer (I think) 14 years ago.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Jul-17 19:05:00
Print Post

[re: grahammm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by grahammm:
A&A offer 'rolling' calendar monthly contracts, which I suspect is more convenient for most people than 30 days, as you always pay on the same day of each month (subject to weekends and public holidays). These just require one month's notice to cease. I have been on such a contract since I became a customer (I think) 14 years ago.

Cheers for the advice, I guess that's after the initial 12 months? which is what puts me off.
(isp) Thu 27-Jul-17 08:46:55
Print Post

Cheers for the advice, I guess that's after the initial 12 months? which is what puts me off.

This 'initial 12 months' is the bit that is probably going to change - which is good news!

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Jul-17 11:49:11
Print Post

This 'initial 12 months' is the bit that is probably going to change - which is good news!

Totally agreed if it does I will be on board! smile
Standard User CecilWard
(newbie) Mon 31-Jul-17 06:37:02
Print Post

Just out of interest, I'd like to understand the importance of the thirty days thing?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Jul-17 08:47:25
Print Post

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

Get AAISP to fix a problem line and then promptly move away to somewhere cheaper?

30 day contract could see the end of the "We'll fix your line" offer.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Jul-17 18:14:13
Print Post

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CecilWard:
Just out of interest, I'd like to understand the importance of the thirty days thing?

For me it's knowing I can leave should I need to without a massive penalty. I move around a fair bit (few years here and there) as sometimes I need to live in the houses I rent (for whatever reason)

That's the main reason, also loyalty means nothing and variety is king on 2017!

My line is fine, just for reference smile
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Aug-17 22:12:08
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I don't see why, it's Openreach that bears the cost of fixing lines. As ISP has to be in the office, or at least available all day to deliver that superb service that a few deliver, I don't see that tapping a few keys kicking the Openreach backside costs them much. Despite AAISP doing a superb job of chasing my underground repair, it still took them six months, well outside their one month or free exit guarantee. In the end, it was the limited FTTC service that forced me to leave. An extra tenner topup per month and then line rental to another supplier made the cost for what was still a limited service a joke. I am now back with Freeola unlimited 80/20 for the same money as AAISP and the superb service I remember when they were ADSL2+ only. As for no contract tie-in even for FTTC, it has done Pulse8 no harm - Another ISP with decent service.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 01-Aug-17 22:16:04)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Aug-17 23:42:17
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

You have absolutely no idea!

The point is that other ISP's have just tapped a few keys to push problems to OpenReach and got no where. I hate to think how many hours they spent pushing your issues - that costs money in staff wages as they have to employ enough people to make sure they can keep answering the phones to other users promptly - far more than the total you paid them.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Aug-17 00:37:11
Print Post

And you are typical of all that is wrong with this place. Not so long back, folks like you were RUBBISHING AAISP for their attitude to Openreach over my underground fault that was messed up over and over again for a full TWO years after diagnosis.
But not to worry, I am used to being played instead of the ball here with just about every post I make, along with the biased moderation.
I suppose in your world, staff don't get paid when there is nothing to push - In mine, staff have to be paid whether they do anything or not.
As for NO IDEA, you have no idea of the cost to me caused by Openreach ignorance, along with hassle from several supposedly perfect ISPs. Uno being one, who now PRETEND they cannot supply service to my number, after I left because they could not supply the FTTC they had promised for 18 months, along with no success with my underground fault. A long list of cease, connection and early exit fees. For SIX months AAISP got nowhere either other than running into ignorance. The fault was resolved when about the fiftieth engineer visited and was a decent one, who then insured the work needed for two years was done.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 02-Aug-17 06:41:33
Print Post

I expect any policy will be driven by the number of people who stay on, promotional offers tend to always be a gamble, in this case the cost of manpower to process the faults, vs the chance someone will stay on past the first month, if its profitable overall then they would more likely allow it.

I think aaisp have had this policy on adsl for years now, 1 month min term and the fixing faults policy, so if it works on that I would expect they would be ok with it on FTTC as well.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Aug-17 10:38:29
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I'm not denying the cost to you of the fiasco - what you've had to suffer was diabolical.

The problem is an under funded, under resourced, under trained industry through the whole chain from OpenReach through to most ISPs. I believe the significant reason for this is that primarily the major ISPs compete 99% on price and 1% on the service they provide. The inevitable result is that people get what they pay for. The ISPs that do care are then facing suppliers who are conditioned by the attitudes of the major players where suppliers not doing enough is not challenged by the ISPs and the customers suffer.

There are also the accountants/managers at play who only look at short term costs. Your case illustrates this perfectly. At every stage they have done the minimum to keep the costs down. The result has been that in the long term it has cost them far more with your 50 odd visits than if someone early on had recognised that allocating whatever resource it took to get it fixed would cost them less in the long term.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Sep-17 13:43:56
Print Post

Looks like this is coming next year.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to