User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Sep-17 13:40:28
Print Post

AAISP Launch "GUARANTEED 56M SERVICE"

[link to this post]

See here,

https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-56.html

Great News!

http://www.revk.uk/2017/09/who-could-have-predicted-...

Edited by 23Prince (Sat 16-Sep-17 13:43:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Sep-17 14:20:54
Print Post

Re: AAISP Launch "GUARANTEED 56M SERVICE"

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

As RevK says, all a load of rubbish.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Sep-17 19:17:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As RevK says, all a load of rubbish.

Yes I didn't know he was taking the [censored] out of Sky. I thought he was an adult, seems rather childish to me and other it seems

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 18-Sep-17 20:21:44
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

He is an adult and has a certain wry sense of humour, poking fun at other ISP's nonsense adverts, on the other hand you just seem to criticise and complain about many ISPs for no particular reasons, which I think is particularly childish.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Mon 18-Sep-17 22:59:38)

ISP Representative RevK
(isp) Tue 19-Sep-17 08:58:23
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Sorry you did not appreciate it - but yes, as it also explains, if you are somewhere with at least a forecast 56Mb handback threshold for FTTC, we are ALREADY guaranteeing 56Mb/s speed on that FTTC, which is the same as Sky do. It is not new. It applies anyway.

The idea of the post it to not just point out how daft the Sky offer is, but to highlight that you already get the same guarantee.

Edited by RevK (Tue 19-Sep-17 09:00:02)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Sep-17 09:36:31
Print Post

[re: RevK] [link to this post]

A couple of days before this thread appeared I was walking the dog and saw a huge billboard Sky advert that gave this guarantee. To me it made no sense at all, as it was clearly ridiculous.

I decided it could only mean the wifi speed/quality. The wording would allow that to be the case. I didn't see any suggestion it was the sync-to-cabinet speed.

Maybe there is more info on their website. I can't be bothered to look.

Completely off topic, thanks for the two allowance increases and £5pm price drop since I joined smile. Not that I need the higher allowances but I expect many do.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Tue 19-Sep-17 12:08:48
Print Post

@RevK not sure you intended to reply to me but I certainly appreciated your ridiculing SKY's advert and your other rants! Unfortunately your humour was not understood by @23prince to whom I was replying.
ISP Representative RevK
(isp) Tue 19-Sep-17 12:35:00
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Possibly I clicked reply in the wrong place - I just wanted to clarify after his comments.

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 19-Sep-17 12:49:40
Print Post

maybe sky dont need the handback threshold to be reached, you could be using a lower part of the estimate than sky do? So could be for some customers who might be say 56meg at above the low range (but above the handback threshold) sky will offer the top tier product, if they dont hit 56meg, they will try an engineer to fix it but in that scenario you wouldnt offer it at all as it would be a lower speed on the handback threshold.

I am surprised aaisp use the handback threshold as thats only the bottom 10 percentile. I dont know what sky use now but when I ordered they used higher than the clean low threshold and thats higher then the handback threshold.

I personally dont find it ludicrous, if you dont get that sync speed after an engineer visit then they either refund you or offer a cheaper product, you dont stay locked in on the higher tiered product. Some people will value that.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 19-Sep-17 12:50:51)

ISP Representative RevK
(isp) Tue 19-Sep-17 13:00:30
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

As for handback threshold, I don't actually know for sky, but I think one can test as I think they have a site that will tell you what they guarantee. Maybe someone with an FTTC line can try.

However, the reason I assumed they use the "handback threshold", and that we currently use it and suggested on our page, is simply that this is the threshold we can get BTW to hand back and refund to us with no minimum term or costs other than our own.

I would be surprised if they go beyond that as (a) it is not really needed for their headline marketing message - the exact threshold chosen does not really matter there, and (b) it could cost them money, especially until the 12 month minimum term is dropped by BTW.

I agree 10th percentile is crazy, and I would love to see BT guarantee the speed they actually have as the lowest in their speed estimate range. The used to, and used to even have a clause saying they would actually try and fix the service if it did not meet it (at least try), but now it is just "take it or leave it" at the (lower) handback threshold.

The reason it is ridiculous, regardless of which threshold applies here, is that they are not actually offering anything better than any other ISP in terms of speed of YOUR line. Your line will get what it gets. They won't actually make it get 55Mb/s, and if the estimate is too low by some criteria (i.e. they don't think it will get 55Mb/s) then they won't even try.

This is very different to what people seeing the headline will think - such people will think "I'll go to Sky as they *guarantee* I'll get 55Mb/s - other ISPs don't guarantee that, they are all slower", or some such.

At the end of the day I can't speak for Sky.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to