User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:10:40
Print Post

Re: AAISP Launch "GUARANTEED 56M SERVICE"

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
He is an adult and has a certain wry sense of humour, poking fun at other ISP's nonsense adverts, on the other hand you just seem to criticise and complain about many ISPs for no particular reasons, which I think is particularly childish.

Well, the ASA will decide on that - I didn't report the page at https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-56.html but I know a few who did.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:42:15
Print Post

[re: RevK] [link to this post]

Yes the new advertising guidelines have allowed this to happen, whilst I dont think its ridiculous I think its still a situation where people can be misled, but what we dont know yet is if sky will manage to get the lines that fail to meet the 56 meg actually achieving that speed, because as I understand it they will call out an engineer before releasing the customer from the contract and if that engineer does a pair or port swap, or fixes a fault then the line may in that scenario actually sync higher doing what you said wouldnt happen. Openreach do have the capability to improve performance, so its not down to it been impossible but rather convincing openreach to do the work.

My own line e.g. only 2 months ago went from high 60s to over 80 now simply from a tie pair rearrangement at the cabinet.

Now if it turns out that either sky wont even get an engineer (so release from contract straight away) or the engineer visits never achieve anything, then yes you are right in that there is no higher achieved speed.

What was your policy prior to the sky offer is someone ordered 80/20 from you and synced at say 35? would you allow them to downgrade their product or refund without penalty?

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:50:35
Print Post

[re: RevK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RevK:
As for handback threshold, I don't actually know for sky, but I think one can test as I think they have a site that will tell you what they guarantee. Maybe someone with an FTTC line can try.

They won't let me order Sky Fibre Max. Handback and bottom of clean range too low.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 73.3 54 20 16.7 46.3

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Sep-17 19:57:42
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
They won't let me order Sky Fibre Max. Handback and bottom of clean range too low.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 73.3 54 20 16.7 46.3
I won't even look then, else they'll start spamming like VM. But the BTW checker says:-

A (Clean) 60.5 44.1 17.3 11.5 39.8

On 3dB margin I'm sync'ed at 72,313Kbps. At 6dB it is usually well above 60Mbps.

Sky will have few on the "guarantee"!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Sep-17 21:15:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah interesting how the estimates match up to reality. I'm banded at 55 right now due to interference from PLN, though even without that barely 60 was managed due to masses of crosstalk.

Still solution found so all good.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Sep-17 22:14:28
Print Post

I do have a very clean/good line from the cabinet to the house. Underground to the pole, and from there renewed with a much higher spec dropline to a new NTE5A a few years ago. Not surprising that I'm near the top of "Clean". As per my spec, line length is 600m. Paced by me, before ordering FTTC, allowing for all the extra bits, and confirmed as ~0.6km on the installing engineer's JDSU.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Sep-17 23:04:15
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Well, the ASA will decide on that - I didn't report the page at https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-56.html but I know a few who did.

You must have a... erm... 'interesting' social circle!
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Sep-17 10:36:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:

You must have a... erm... 'interesting' social circle!

The guy needs a life, I agree. I never said they were friends, I said I knew of a few people that did.

End of the day - does not affect me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Sep-17 18:10:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Nothing in the guarantee that I've read suggests making any particular effort to get Openreach to uplift/boost speeds.

Its a if modem syncs at below the figure of 55 Mbps then you can downgrade and get setup fee refunded or leave.

NOTE Its connection speed/sync speed since its what the modem is reporting so there will be the explanations needed that modem is connecting at 55.8 Mbps but speed tests only show 52.6 Mbps

It is purely a marketing thing, i.e. people think they are getting something others don't offer and is a logical conclusion of the rules around broadband speed in adverts/sales, and is them testing the water for the day when average speeds become the norm in advertising.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Sep-17 18:12:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with wifi in fact they will not accept any testing over Ethernet or WiFi if you claim the guarantee is not being met, they want connection speed from router

Dug around as soon as the TV adverts appeared.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to