User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CecilWard
(newbie) Wed 10-Jan-18 04:16:41
Print Post

PTR lookup / reverse DNS

[link to this post]

I have a domain that is not hosted by AA, cecilward.com. For this domain, I can use the hosting co ukservers.net's friendly web control panel UI to set up A, AAAA, CNAME and TXT records and in subdomain too, but not PTR records currently. I don't have direct access to a BIND server or anything like that that publishes the dns for that domain.

AA has given me a an IPv4 block.

I have some A etc records published by ukservers.net which map xyz.subdomain.cecilward.com to my IPv4 addresses in that AA block.

Can I get AA to set up a UI on their servers for me so they can publish PTR records for me relating to my AA IPv4 block?

I did read the wiki, but got kind of lost because it didn't make clear to stupid people what the requirements were at my end, what dns server-related facilities I had to possess or have access to.

Edited by CecilWard (Wed 10-Jan-18 04:20:13)

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Thu 11-Jan-18 08:24:14
Print Post

Re: PTR lookup / reverse DNS

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

Yes we can do this - just let us know the domain name and we'll make it available on the control pages.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User CecilWard
(newbie) Fri 12-Jan-18 04:25:37
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Many many thanks Andrew,

Can you do subdomains too?

*.torr-gorm.cecilward.com is what I would like, the extra label torr-gorm is the subdomain.

so for example

230.147.187.81 PTR some-box-or-other.torr-gorm.cecilward.com

would be preferable to

230.147.187.81 PTR some-box-or-other.cecilward.com

Edited by CecilWard (Fri 12-Jan-18 04:35:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CecilWard
(newbie) Sat 13-Jan-18 22:50:52
Print Post

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

Jake and Andrew have now sorted me out. Got clueless going.

I've taken the liberty of adding some stuff to the aa wiki, firstly to expand on what the story is if you have a domain that is not AA-hosted and secondly to document how the clueless ui works when entering PTR records as I was a bit uncertain about some things myself at first when I tried it. I do hope I won't get the sack over such presumption. smile

Would others kindly take a look and make any corrections and improvements?
  Print Thread

Jump to