User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 16-Mar-18 12:58:28
Print Post

AAISP 1 month contracts now here (or almost here)? :)

[link to this post]

Thought it might interest some to hear that it looks like AAISP are either now offering or about to offer 1 month contracts for ADSL and VDSL2 (FTTC) packages. See https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-soho1.html for example, it now lists 12 months for FTTP only and 6 months or 1 month term choices for ADSL and VDSL2 (FTTC) packages.

Adrian Kennard did mention on his blog about some further tariff changes and also an issue with a carrier currently which has held a bit of progress on this back.

The new A&A tariff work we started last year, I expected to be doing more. And one of our carriers, who I have promised my own staff not to tear a large piece out of on my blog just yet, are causing some crazy issues for us. Things that should have been done and dusted over 6 months ago are not, and so more work on tariffs is a tad stalled. Even so, we hope to plough ahead with some improvements this month, albeit more risk for us doing so. The existing changes, with more lines able to get Terabyte packages, and better usage roll over and higher entry level allowances, have clearly helped, but we expected to have done more by now. More will be coming I am sure.

But let's be positive - the changes we made late last year are good, and things are happening this month too.

Unless I'm mistaken in how I'm interpreting the new choices of contract term and setup costs, this is good news smile. I don't think G.fast is coming to my area anytime soon so in the next month or two I might consider using my second line on a 200GB tariff which should quota balance with my current 2TB tariff I hope as well as offer some resilience, VDSL2 of course, for bonding. Hopefully should achieve at least 140+ megabits down and 35+ megabits up tongue. The big question is whether I can figure out how to do bonding on the EdgeRouter Pro 8 or whether I'll be forced to use a FireBrick instead.

Edited by Ixel (Fri 16-Mar-18 12:59:05)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Mar-18 20:30:27
Print Post

Re: AAISP 1 month contracts now here (or almost here)? :)

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

I can confirm if you run a residential order it shows 1 month term at £50 setup and then the standard £60 a month with a all in package smile

Proof https://s14.postimg.org/abhhvpggh/Screen_Shot_2018-0...

Even 6 months is worth the punt now - and free setup

Nice one AAISP smile
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 13:58:12
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Indeed. I've ordered a second service this morning for my second line (SoHo::1 VDSL2 200GB) on a 1 month contract which should quota balance with my existing 2TB. My hope is that I'll achieve a total throughput speed of at least 140 Mbps down and 35 Mbps up smile. Due to be activated on the 26th. The only thing I need to figure out is if and how to get the EdgeRouter Pro 8 to handle bonding as I don't want to also invest in a Firebrick if I can help it (due to their cost). It needs to do ECMP which the Ubiquiti claims it does. Also the other advantage is if one line develops a fault then the other line has a chance of still working fine in the meantime.

Edited by Ixel (Sat 17-Mar-18 13:59:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SimonMPFH
(newbie) Sat 17-Mar-18 14:29:11
Print Post

Re: AAISP 1 month contracts now here (or almost here)? :) *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 15:47:20
Print Post

[re: SimonMPFH] [link to this post]

Interesting, well if I do figure it out I'll post here about it. I can't imagine why the EdgeRouter isn't capable of this.

Unfortunately the activation date is now April 3rd so I need to wait a bit longer, but in the meantime I can do more research and hopefully someone on the Ubiquiti forum might be able to offer some insight (I've posted there). All I know is that RevK mentioned on the IRC about ECMP which the EdgeRouter claims to do.

EDIT: Just removed a bit of the post as I realised I may his misread/misunderstood something.

Edited by Ixel (Sat 17-Mar-18 15:48:31)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Mar-18 16:08:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
Indeed. I've ordered a second service this morning for my second line (SoHo::1 VDSL2 200GB) on a 1 month contract which should quota balance with my existing 2TB. My hope is that I'll achieve a total throughput speed of at least 140 Mbps down and 35 Mbps up smile. Due to be activated on the 26th. The only thing I need to figure out is if and how to get the EdgeRouter Pro 8 to handle bonding as I don't want to also invest in a Firebrick if I can help it (due to their cost). It needs to do ECMP which the Ubiquiti claims it does. Also the other advantage is if one line develops a fault then the other line has a chance of still working fine in the meantime.

I can tell you how great that speed - the rest is well over my head fella, sorry!
Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 16:19:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
The big question is whether I can figure out how to do bonding on the EdgeRouter Pro 8 or whether I'll be forced to use a FireBrick instead.
Regardless of hardware requirement at your end, isn't there also an extra charge for the bonding at the AAISP end as that would require specific config and support not part of standard second line install.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 16:43:05
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

I'm aware there's a charge if I need their assistance in setting up bonding on the router, e.g. a Firebrick, but I'm not aware of an additional monthly charge for the bonding aspect of the service. I believe I should be able to route the same IP's down both lines on clueless once it's live, it's just up to me to configure this my end. I'll ask them when all staff are back in on Monday again, if there is an additional monthly charge just for the bonding aspect too then I might scrap the idea depending how much that would be.
Standard User awontroba
(regular) Sat 17-Mar-18 18:04:01
Print Post

I believe that true bonding does require support, probably with charge, at the ISP end.

A possibly viable alternative is load balancing, where your router supports multiple WAN connections and shares the outgoing load between them. This can work quite well for load balancing or fallback. You may need to make connections "sticky" so that once established, all connections to the same address go out the same way.

I used to load balance a pfSense firewall between my own VDSL line and my employer supplied ADSL line. I do not know if a Firebrick can do this.

--
Adrian
Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 19:12:31
Print Post

I couldnt see a price for bonding on AAISP website. It would be interesting if they offered facility to bond without charge but I'd be surprised if that was the case given the niche market and price others charge for bonding. Be good to hear how you get on with it.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 19:32:03
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

We load balance using Mikrotiks and it works great for our purpose. Having access to 2 FTTC lines which both sync at 80/20, I struggle to see why I'd need to bond them for higher individual "single thread" download speed as individually each line is capable of downloading plenty data and we get redundancy with the load balance configuration.

On FTTC I can see bonding being particularly useful to make it possible to access increased upload speeds of greater than 20Mb.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Mar-18 20:09:25
Print Post

There is apparently a very nasty router hack, with the prime victims being Mikrotiks.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technol...
and
https://securelist.com/apt-slingshot/84312/

(Links courtesy of AdrianPH).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 17-Mar-18 20:18:38)

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 20:15:18
Print Post

I've asked the question on the IRC, whether I'll get a response tonight is another question but as soon as I get an answer I'll edit this post to mention what the response was.

I imagined it was pretty much making the same IP's route down two or more lines via clueless and then a bit of work for me to do on the router to support this fully. Maybe I'm wrong but we'll see, hopefully I'm not.

EDIT: Someone has confirmed on IRC that while they obviously charge for the additional service (e.g. VDSL2, line rental or whatever else that usually applies), they don't charge for bonding on top.

Edited by Ixel (Sat 17-Mar-18 20:40:32)

Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-18 22:02:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for links, will read up on it.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Mar-18 00:33:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There is apparently a very nasty router hack, with the prime victims being Mikrotiks.

Mikrotik fixed the bug with release 6.38.5 of RouterOS at the beginning of March 2017, so if people haven't been applying updates for 12 months they're making a rod for their own back. Apparently there were only about a 100 infections in the wild - since 2012. And the version of Winbox needed for the attack is an old version from before 2014.

Edited by Spud2003 (Sun 18-Mar-18 00:41:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Mar-18 01:03:01
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Thatís good. But odd that Kaspersky are only now telling the world.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User SimonMPFH
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-18 04:00:37
Print Post

There is no charge for bonding.

As long as the lines are on the same login they will bond automatically if you send a block of IPs to both lines in the control panel.

You can have multiple blocks and send one for bonding and one to each line if you like.

If you have a FireBrick at each end you can to tunnel bonding, even over separate ISPs

It's very powerful.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Mar-18 08:27:57
Print Post

Last time I bonded 2 ISP's I had a Linksys router which literally was meant to go into a DC rack. It did a good job but I lost it years ago I think. If I can find it I will do that again as a cheaper option smile

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 18-Mar-18 08:28:07)

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sun 18-Mar-18 09:05:06
Print Post

Lots of good info here:

https://support.aa.net.uk/Category:Bonding

Linking lines for download looks fairly straightforward but there's not much info on upload bonding.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sun 18-Mar-18 09:10:56
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Were you bonding or just load balancing? Bonding across two ISPs would need some kind of tunnel in place to access the primary ISP via the secondary one?

Perhaps you were just load balancing ie sending requests via the different links based on the router's choice of path? I tried this with a Draytek router when I had access to an ADSL and a DOCSIS connection. It worked OK until I tried accessing secure sites such as banking etc as the traffic from be via different IPs was rejected of course. By the time I'd set rules up for specific protocols to go via different routes I decided it wasn't worth the bother!

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User craski
(committed) Sun 18-Mar-18 11:04:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by SimonMPFH:
There is no charge for bonding.
As long as the lines are on the same login they will bond automatically if you send a block of IPs to both lines in the control panel.

Nice feature to have without extra charge but reading the docs on their site, it sounds like the "free" aspect of it is more like load balancing than bonding. It would be interested to see what the HTTPx1 TBB speed test shows for an AAISP "bonded" line not using tunnel end points on each side of the link between you and AAISP.

In reply to a post by SimonMPFH:
If you have a FireBrick at each end you can to tunnel bonding, even over separate ISPs

Balance yes, no problem but I dont see how you can bond tunnels over separate ISPs. Did you mean bond two AAISP lines over two different AAISP backhaul providers? i.e. One AAISP line on Talk Talk Business back haul and one on BT Wholesale back haul. That would work as tunnel would be between you and AAISP.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Mar-18 13:15:42
Print Post

Re: AAISP 1 month contracts now here (or almost here)? :) *D

Post removed as included a phone number and looked spammy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Mon 19-Mar-18 09:15:52
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by awontroba:
I believe that true bonding does require support, probably with charge, at the ISP end.

We don't charge 'extra' for bonding. We have information and example router configurations on our support site: https://support.aa.net.uk/Category:Bonding

We're quite flexible, there are various ways of doing it, happy to help.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to