User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CecilWard
(learned) Sun 13-May-18 02:38:54
Print Post

ZyXel VMG 1312-B10A - MTU 1508 fix now available

[link to this post]

Firmware is now available for the ZyXel VMG 1312-B10A which fixes the lack of support for MTU 1508 in modem-only. It just works, fine. A pre-built bin file is available and the complete sources are I'm told on github and I have read the build instructions, but have not built it from scratch myself. One or two others that I know of are using it. It was built by someone who had got fed up with ZyXelís inertia / donít-care attitude.

Would AA be willing to evaluate it?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-May-18 11:30:21
Print Post

Re: ZyXel VMG 1312-B10A - MTU 1508 fix now available

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

How many AAISP users will be using that router in modem-only mode? Most users who have opted for the simplest modem will be using it as a combined modem/router. Don't forget they moved from supplying that to the B10D version which works far better with IPv6. What benefit is it to AAISP to expend effort on a redundant model - it would be cheaper to them to replace with a currently supplied model.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Thu 17-May-18 08:36:00
Print Post

We know (and proved to ZyXEL at the time) that the hardware can support 1508, there was a way to manually configure the ZyXEL at each boot, and we shows in the firmware what needed to be changed for the software to support it. ZyXEL were not too interested in releasing official firmware with these changes though.

We can't really support this 3rd party firmware officially, but I expect it would work just fine.

https://github.com/Olipro/VMG1312-B10A

Andrew Hearn
GM, AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-May-18 09:27:35
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

@CecilWard

Perhaps you should contact ZyXEL to ask them why a fix that has been available for a very long time has not been officially released!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User CecilWard
(learned) Sun 17-Jun-18 18:13:16
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

@Andrewhearn If AA built the software themselves for the sources, which the kitz forum user "johnson" has done then it would not be third-party if you see what I mean. One of your staff could maybe review the mod and you could decide whether you were happy or not. Just a thought. I just thought that I ought to let you know about the success of the mod and that all the sources, toolchain, the works are available so then you can decide for yourselves whether or not you can finally make this excellent feature available to AA users after years of hassling ZyXEL. Best wishes, C.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jul-18 09:33:45
Print Post

Why fix the B10A on which IPv6 doesn't work properly (after a PPP drop you have to reboot the router) when they switched to supplying the B10D which does IPv6 properly?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
  Print Thread

Jump to