User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 19-Aug-18 12:29:14
Print Post

AAISP Newbie - Question on Packages

[link to this post]

I have been with AAISP for a month on a 6 month/200GB package. AAISPís website states that packages can be changed at anytime. How does this work within the minimum term? For example, can I switch to 2TB service for a month; bank 50% of the unused allowance and then change back to the 200GB package a month later? I am just thinking ahead to Christmas when the wider family descends on us for 10 days - along with their many connected devices.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 19-Aug-18 16:26:05
Print Post

Re: AAISP Newbie - Question on Packages

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Normally during a minimum term period you can upgrade but not downgrade. This often triggers the minimum term to restart.

I can't imagine they would allow you to bank quota across packages like this.
Everyone would be able to take 1 month of the highest quota package, bank the excess then downgrade.

I'm sure someone from AAISP will be along shortly to answer your question fully but my guess would be...

You can upgrade during the minimum term, term starts again, you can't bank the quota when downgrading.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 19-Aug-18 16:45:50
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I suspected that would be the case. My only criticism of AAISP is that they have not understood the principle of 'less is more'. The plethora of information on their website can, at times, be very confusing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Mon 20-Aug-18 05:28:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
I have been with AAISP for a month on a 6 month/200GB package. AAISPís website states that packages can be changed at anytime. How does this work within the minimum term? For example, can I switch to 2TB service for a month; bank 50% of the unused allowance and then change back to the 200GB package a month later? I am just thinking ahead to Christmas when the wider family descends on us for 10 days - along with their many connected devices.

If you can do this I might join you as I do have peaks and troughs in my usage and having 2TB -> 1TB -> 500GB -> 250GB 'headroom' over 3 months, for one month of increased cost would be cool. I suspect however that if you decrease from 2TB to 200GB, your carry forward may be capped. Comment @AASIP?

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Aug-18 09:00:04
Print Post

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

Why should that be the case/ The data carried over has been paid for the month previous - all that should happen is the allowance is set to whatever you need and the rolled over data on top until used.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Aug-18 09:31:52
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I think what some may be missing is that if your chosen package change involves a move either way between BT Wholesale and TTB then the full installation charge is payable smile. (At least thatís how I read the relevant part of either the T &Cs or Legal yesterday when checking if one could do this).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70615/12459Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Mon 20-Aug-18 14:14:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think what some may be missing is that if your chosen package change involves a move either way between BT Wholesale and TTB then the full installation charge is payable smile. (At least thatís how I read the relevant part of either the T &Cs or Legal yesterday when checking if one could do this).

I think that used to the case but my new 200GB product is on TTB backhaul rather than BTW.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Aug-18 14:18:59
Print Post

Ah, mine is on BTW because I migrated from BTW.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70615/12459Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Aug-18 15:24:15
Print Post

That'a fair enough I just assumed it was a simple package change - clearly it's not always!
Standard User JamesS88
(learned) Mon 20-Aug-18 15:54:39
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

The key is that you only carry over *half* the unused quota - so you can't just buy a block of 2 Tb in January and use it up over the course of the year: even with 0 usage, switching to 200 Gb for February gets you 1.2 Tb not 2.2, then you'll go into March with 800 Gb, April with 600, etc until the original 2 Tb has just evaporated.

The packages are more flexible now - it used to be the case that the Tb packages were TalkTalk backhaul only and the others were BT only, but now you can switch between levels month by month online.

I had a big batch of data to transfer (restoring some online backups, including a few Windows virtual machine images), so switched to the 1 Tb package (as it was at the time) for that month, then back down to 200 Gb after it was finished. I'm away travelling most of next month, so I'll stay on 200 Gb - maybe back to Tb for November when I have someone staying and might want to use Netflix/Amazon/iPlayer a bit.

"Unlimited" would be simpler, of course, but more expensive to get the performance we do with AAISP, so I'm happy to fiddle with settings a bit rather than pay even more or see performance drop.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to