User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Mon 20-Aug-18 05:19:15
Print Post

Review after 2 months on FTTC 80/20

[link to this post]

The adage goes that you can have two out of three when presented with the choice of Good, Fast and Cheap. So, lets deal with the elephant in the room as regards A&A... if I had to choose only one ISP to support a heavy diet of Netflix, Sky On Demand, BBC iPlayer and the myriad of other ways to burn through a bandwidth allowance then Andrews & Arnold would not be my first choice. There I've said it and it is the truth, they unashamedly state on their website...

"The second reason, which mainly makes sense with our terabyte services, is to have a high limit but one that deters the really heavy users, i.e. the people that literally use hundreds of times the typical usage. By excluding such customers from these services, we can provide a faster and better services to our customers."

So, if you need an all you can eat (read cheap) service that has varying levels of goodness and speed or you always use more than 2TB/month or £50/month + line rental seems way too expensive for the aforementioned 2TB then this service isn't for you.

Now my need for VDSL on a 2nd line is very different to my main unlimited connection with Sky Fibre. This 2nd line needs to be faultless and super-fast for home working where my bandwidth requirement is not very high. Uses like this are where speed and reliability trump cost. And it is in this area that A&A is peerless among the myriad of consumer ISPs out there. My scenario is particularly interesting as I transferred a poor lying performing line that had constant drop outs when I was running regular ASDL to A&A after my line was upgraded to super-fast 80/20 VDSL. A&A (through the very efficient support team members of Stuart and David) identified through their first-class line monitoring that my frequently dropping connection was most likely an actual fault. After previous experience with other big ISPs this was an immediate breath of fresh air. I work in a technical technology job and had given up on ever talking to a real support person at an ISP. And so, before I could even think about it I had an engineer visit and replace some wiring in my PCP, transforming my line into one that is rock solid and giving me my maximum bandwidth with minuscule latency 24/7.

In addition to the support staff and the service overall, the web-based account and connection administration tools remind me of enterprise level network tooling. The fact that I get a message when my connection goes down for any reason is brilliant. All of this goodness has a cost that I'm more than willing to pay and you may also think is worth it.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Aug-18 09:46:24
Print Post

Re: Review after 2 months on FTTC 80/20

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

wink smile
You say your non-business line is Sky. Maybe itís time to replace the EE speed test in your sig which interestingly shows as faster than the AA one tongue.

Though why anyone feels the need to post bog standard unexceptional speed test creating screen/scroll-wasting space in their sig has always been beyond me. Other than when talking about a problem, when they need to be in the text, they are meaningless within minutes of posting and of no use nor interest to anyone. Including yourself?

As in having an old EE one there.

(Sorry, this is a hobby-horse of mine).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70615/12459Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Mon 20-Aug-18 10:09:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
wink smile
You say your non-business line is Sky. Maybe itís time to replace the EE speed test in your sig which interestingly shows as faster than the AA one tongue.

Though why anyone feels the need to post bog standard unexceptional speed test creating screen/scroll-wasting space in their sig has always been beyond me. Other than when talking about a problem, when they need to be in the text, they are meaningless within minutes of posting and of no use nor interest to anyone. Including yourself?

As in having an old EE one there.

(Sorry, this is a hobby-horse of mine).

That sounds a little too harsh of a comment for a Monday morning,just saying. wink laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Aug-18 15:25:12
Print Post

I've always found IPv6 is slower than 4 - Maybe it's just me.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Aug-18 15:42:35
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

That's because it 50% fatter than IPv4 so struggles to get through gateways wink.

Ahem!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70615/12459Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Aug-18 20:39:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's because it 50% fatter than IPv4 so struggles to get through gateways wink.

Ahem!

Have you seen my recent picture? The cream pies are to blame! :/

My router won't do 6 so I a rocking 4 and getting 74mbps down - happy happysmile
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sun 26-Aug-18 16:36:02
Print Post

I actually have EE & Sky on 2 two lines into my house with AAISP on a 3rd line, so the EE test is also current. I just forgot that I hadn't put my Sky speed in my sig, however based on your comment is sounds like 3 speed test gifs in my sig would make you even more annoyed... My EE connection sync's at 80Mbps whereas the AAISP line has a bit of crosstalk and syncs at 77.6Mbps, probably accounting for the speed test difference.

I've never had anyone complain about speed test gifs in a signature. I previously had them as text, but couldn't be arsed to transcribe my connection and just put the speed tests in, now updated.

AAISP 80/20 FTTC (77.6Mbps/20Mbps sync)
EE 80/20 FTTC (80Mbps/20Mbps sync)
Sky 80/20 FTTC (78.6Mbps/20Mbps sync)

Edited by MaxNRG (Sun 26-Aug-18 16:38:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Aug-18 17:49:40
Print Post

smile
I have my sync speeds in my sig, as you've probably seen, so not complaining about that. I update the speeds whenever I get a re-sync. Plus I have the cabinet distance. A few years back that was worth doing as everybody was still finding out about FTTC. Now? I just keep it current.

I simply don't see the relevance of speed tests except it the text of posts when there's a problem. They are meaningless there as they depend on so many other factors day by day. I think they may be limited to two now anyway - there was a time a few people have four, five and more, many of them years old.

I'd actually be interested to know your typical speed test results as a percentage of sync between them, particularly against AA. Assuming you have G.INP active on them with a DLM-reduced noise margin. I keep wondering if AAISP TBB percentage is higher than BT Wholesale, as G.INP + Reduced SNRM slugs the line speed. You can see this reported in the Radius log your AA Control panel shows. IP Profile also being lower than the normal 96.69% or 96.79%. It's something in the 94 to 95% range.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 26-Aug-18 17:52:57)

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Tue 28-Aug-18 07:53:41
Print Post

@aaisp switched my BTW backhaul as I was getting dropped packets at peak times when I was first connected. I had been connected for nearly 4 weeks so didnít have Radius logs until brief downtime overnight for some maintenance:

2018-08-28T01:10:52.129536+01:00 clueless radius-auth: ************ BT Accept *.*.*.* *.*.*.*#***** ****@a.1 k.gormless Via=21CN TCP-MRU-fix linerate=76350000/19999000 adjust=74950504(98.167%) MTU=1480

2018-08-28T01:10:53.974629+01:00 clueless radius-acct: ************ Start ****@a.1 *.*.*.* k.gormless 21-E BT linerate=74950504/19999000 tcp-fix MRU=1480 I/F=**:**:**:**:**:**:**:**:** [AAISP-21CN]

2018-08-28T01:10:53.976431+01:00 clueless radius-acct: ************ CoA q270442759009 T0 74950504b/s 341359s (was Q0 T0 74950504b/s 0s) monthly 200000000000

So my speed test of 71Mbps vs. line connection of 76.3Mbps (74.9Mbps backhaul) means I have 93% of my VDSL connected speed or 95% of my backhaul connection. I donít have any idea how this compares with Sky or EE.

AAISP 80/20 FTTC (77.6Mbps/20Mbps sync)
EE 80/20 FTTC (80Mbps/20Mbps sync)
Sky 80/20 FTTC (78.6Mbps/20Mbps sync)
  Print Thread

Jump to