User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Fri 28-Sep-18 23:04:18
Print Post

Rate cap?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been switched over to AA, as of about 4am this morning and it was way more seamless and prompt than the last ISP change, so a good start. However, the line won't sync at more than about 46Mb/s when the attainable is 55Mb/s on the downstream. Could this be due to a rate cap on the line? It would set at 55Mb/s consistently with the previous ISP.

I hadn't appreciated that G.INP would not be enabled on the new line, so I expect latency to reduce, back to the levels I'm used to when it does kick in.

Paul

ISP: IDNet
Service: FTTC Unlimited (55/10)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL
Attenuation: 21.7
Current sync: 55000/ 9875
G.INP: Enabled
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Sep-18 23:44:18
Print Post

Re: Rate cap?

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Latency and sync speed are not related in any significant way.

The most probable explanation is that you have upgraded from a 55/10 Openreach product to the 80/20 one. This resets DLM, but with interleaving and no G.INP.

That would sort itself out within 2-3 days as long as you haven't done a large number of re-syncs to try to improve things. Just leave it connected.

The 46 actual v 55 attainable does suggest interleaving.

There are no speed caps on AAISP at all. There isn't even a product option below the Openreach 80/20 product.

Did you take your landline to them as well, and which initial allowance did you choose?

Your sig and profile are now out of date wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72623/13368Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
===================================================
If you never think of something off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 28-Sep-18 23:46:29)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-18 01:40:36
Print Post

New line activations start with interleaving and INP=3 (low interleaving).
The max attainable is exaggerated with interleaving.

Interleaving also takes roughly 10% of the sync speed so you will probably sync about 51-52Mb when G.INP activates.
If DLM chooses to lower the target SNRM to 3dB you could get nearer 60Mb.

How much extra you get from the change to 3dB target SNRM varies for every line. Lines that make use of the D3 band benefit the most in my experience.

Stability is the key for the first 2 weeks of you want the target SNRM lowered so try not to resync or change modems a lot.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-18 12:52:02
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Agree with the above replies, just don't expect interleaving to be replaced with G.INP quickly, it can take weeks, in some cases.

William Grimsley.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sat 29-Sep-18 16:06:37
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
Agree with the above replies, just don't expect interleaving to be replaced with G.INP quickly, it can take weeks, in some cases.

Out of interest, any idea why it takes so long? I ask because I have been with AAISP for about 6 weeks and my max attainable is falling as more adjacent plots are connected to FTTC.
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-18 18:14:52
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I've no idea. The time it takes to activate is random, as in there's no set time. I think some of it is down to how noisy the line is (amount of FECs (as G.INP activates only when INP+FEC is on)).

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 29-Sep-18 18:15:26)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-18 23:15:31
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

99% of lines on Huawei cabinets have G.INP activated within 2-3 days.
The majority also try a lower target SNRM within the first week.

It is the odd exception that can take considerably longer. My own line took around 11 weeks to apply G.INP.

Back near the start of the G.INP rollout there was an average of 3-4 week wait for G.INP on new lines but that isn't the case now.
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Mon 01-Oct-18 13:01:42
Print Post

Thanks for the responses.

I was indeed interleaved, which I should have mentioned and what I should have also asked, was whether the service was banded, not capped. I blame the sleep deprevation from having a 9 week old!

The line had G.INP enabled the following day and after 1 or 2 resyncs (Lost Carrier), has been climbing back up to nigh on the max I've seen on the line, sync wise. The upstream sync is also the highest it's been since the line initially settled down after being fibre enabled.
Latency has increased from around 11ms to 16ms to www.bbc.co.uk, my usual benchmark. So I'd like to understand why that's happened.

I'm monitoring it for a separate gateway related issue but it seens to be more resiliant than before, despite some choppiness on the SNRM. Maybe that's because i'm now going via TTB backhaul and not BTW?!

Thus far I'm very impressed with AA. Bearing in mind when I migrated, I chose the 2TB package and as of today, I have 2.98TB of capacity, which just adds the icing on the cake.

The control panel is excellent too, meaning I no longer feel the need for the TB BQM. And the listed view of occurences on the service and account. Now I just need them to sort out the log running line issue!

Paul

ISP: AAISP
Service: TT FTTC 80/20 (2TB)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL R2
Attenuation: 22.2
Current sync: 54623/ 9366
G.INP: Enabled

Edited by youngsyp (Mon 01-Oct-18 13:06:57)

(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-18 16:52:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
Thanks for the responses.

No worries!
In reply to a post by youngsyp:
Latency has increased from around 11ms to 16ms to www.bbc.co.uk, my usual benchmark. So I'd like to understand why that's happened.

It could potentially be because the route in which your connection takes between the CPE (router/modem combo) and the ISP has become "longer", as in there are more hops (IP addresses of different routers through the network), or because the distance those hops are from you, have increased. You can prove this by pasting a tracert to bbc.co.uk.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Mon 01-Oct-18 16:56:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 02-Oct-18 00:36:49
Print Post

The base latency on AA, and every ISP I've been with, can vary depending on which route your connection is taking from the exchange to the ISP's gateways. This route is established when the PPP session is initiated. Sometimes from where I am they seem to route via Edinburgh or somewhere like that, other times to head directly south from Manchester.

My best with AA has been 11-12ms and that is my most common. Occasionally I get a higher one of 16-20ms, as at the moment. (Live BQMs in my sig).

It doesn't really affect me much, though complex pages load a bit slower. I don't game, where it could be important.

With some routers and modem/routers you can drop the PPP session and start another. Best left for a while before restarting. Some other routers you may need to reboot or even power off for several minutes to clear the session. With modem/routers where you can't drop the PPP session you have to be wary of upsetting DLM by re-sync'ing too much.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
===================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to