User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Tue 02-Oct-18 14:24:25
Print Post

Re: Rate cap?

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Below is the tracert from here:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
2 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms bottomless.aa.net.uk [81.187.81.187]
3 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms n.aimless.thn.aa.net.uk [90.155.53.104]
4 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms rt-lonap-b.thdo.bbc.co.uk [5.57.80.90]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 16 ms 17 ms 16 ms ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.109]
8 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 132.185.255.148
9 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms www.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.68]

As you guys have said, it has to be the routing that AA use. IDNet were consistently 10ms, so I must have been in a favourable location for their gateways.

I am a gamer but I'm not kidding myself that at my age, 6ms will make the difference to my gaming experience. It's just a case of "this is what I had, and this what now have".

In other news, G.INP has now applied to my upstream, so my intermittent line issue is making itself known.

Paul

Paul

ISP: AAISP
Service: HOME::1 FTTC (TTB) 80/20 (2TB)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL R2
Attenuation: 22.2
Current sync: 54623/ 9366
G.INP: Enabled
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Tue 02-Oct-18 15:50:13
Print Post

Yes, I can't see anything that stands out there. Interesting that you mention about G.INP on Upstream, because my line has had it almost all of the time its been live. My line is noisy, but apparently it's not faulty. What's this "intermittent line issue" you speak about? wink

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Tue 02-Oct-18 15:51:16)

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Wed 03-Oct-18 08:40:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
Below is the tracert from here:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
2 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms bottomless.aa.net.uk [81.187.81.187]
3 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms n.aimless.thn.aa.net.uk [90.155.53.104]
4 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms rt-lonap-b.thdo.bbc.co.uk [5.57.80.90]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 16 ms 17 ms 16 ms ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.109]
8 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 132.185.255.148
9 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms www.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.68]

As you guys have said, it has to be the routing that AA use. IDNet were consistently 10ms, so I must have been in a favourable location for their gateways.

I am a gamer but I'm not kidding myself that at my age, 6ms will make the difference to my gaming experience. It's just a case of "this is what I had, and this what now have".

In other news, G.INP has now applied to my upstream, so my intermittent line issue is making itself known.

I've not looked at your line, but email in if you had lower latency before- we may be able to reset DLM etc - depending on the service you have, openreach may have automatically applied low error correction when the line moved over, which adds 8ms. DLM may well remove this automatically at some point though.

Andrew Hearn
GM, AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-18 10:37:49
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

His line has G.INP not interleaving.

William Grimsley.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Oct-18 10:48:41
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

I think both Andrew and yourself are wrong.

G.INP always applies a low level of interleaving on Bearer 0, normally depth 8. But the “delay” parameter is set to zero. It does not add to latency. Unlike non-G.INP where when interleaving is ON the minimum “delay” setting is 8ms and often more.

Irrelevant to this discussion, on G.INP Bearer 1 also has interleaving, depth 3.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-18 18:20:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, you're right and sorry that I didn't make myself clear. What I meant by "interleaving" is when it applies delay as well e.g. Interleaving+INP+Delay. Whereas, G.INP is just G.INP+Interleaving.

Normally, when a VDSL line is considered "interleaved", it doesn't have G.INP e.g. when a line has say a downstream interleaver depth of 763 and an INP of 3.00, instead of when G.INP is active, when the interleaver depth could be 8 with an INP of 48.00, but without say a delay of 8, which is, as you said, set when interleaving is active without G.INP.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Wed 03-Oct-18 18:28:01)

Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Thu 04-Oct-18 11:01:28
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andrewhearn:
I've not looked at your line, but email in if you had lower latency before- we may be able to reset DLM etc - depending on the service you have, openreach may have automatically applied low error correction when the line moved over, which adds 8ms. DLM may well remove this automatically at some point though.
Thanks Andrew, I'll ping a mail across.

To the point on whether it's interleaving or G.INP causing the increase in latency or not - I had G.INP on the downstream when I was with IDNet and the ping to the beeb was 10 or 11ms. I don't have details of the route it took though, unfortunately. As wsa pointed out above, I think it's simply a case of the route being longer with the current provider.

Paul

Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Thu 04-Oct-18 11:16:42
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
What's this "intermittent line issue" you speak about? wink
Early on in my FTTC tenure, a 'battery contact' fault was diagnosed on my line. When the OR engineer came out, he found a dodgy joint in a piece of aluminium cable connecting two poles, down the road. The symptoms of this fault were US sync nose diving from circa 9Mb/s to 1.5Mb/s and a large variance on the US SNRM. Some of the higher frequency US bins would also either not be present at all or diminish quickly over time.

The current intermittent fault exhibits the exact same characteristics to the last one but, the drop in sync and low US rate on re-sync occurs much less often. US bins diminishing and spiky US SNRM are as frequent though. The former not so now G.INP is enabled on the US.
When the US SNRM gets very spiky, I've also checked the line with an analogue phone and it was VERY noisy. Not something I've experienced at any other time.

I'm not keen to request an engineer visit this time as it was only due to the tenacity of the last OR engineer that he found an issue with the line. Not being able to guaruntee the same guy this time and the fact that whoever turns will not have access to the notes from the last issue, just makes it more likely than not to cost me money and not have anything rectified.

Paul

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-18 12:39:18
Print Post

Is the analogue phone noisy all the time? Have you confirmed using a second wired handset? If so report it as a fault to your line rental supplier.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-18 13:02:32
Print Post

Interesting. I wouldn't expect G.INP to reduce the spikiness, but instead reduce the amount of errors. It has to be said though, that even G.INP isn't of much help when there's a fault.

William Grimsley.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to