User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-18 13:03:14
Print Post

Re: Rate cap?

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Yes, but first the OP must make sure that the analogue phone is connected to the test socket with no other equipment connected, first.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Thu 04-Oct-18 13:03:33)

ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Fri 05-Oct-18 08:41:40
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
In reply to a post by andrewhearn:
I've not looked at your line, but email in if you had lower latency before- we may be able to reset DLM etc - depending on the service you have, openreach may have automatically applied low error correction when the line moved over, which adds 8ms. DLM may well remove this automatically at some point though.
Thanks Andrew, I'll ping a mail across.

To the point on whether it's interleaving or G.INP causing the increase in latency or not - I had G.INP on the downstream when I was with IDNet and the ping to the beeb was 10 or 11ms. I don't have details of the route it took though, unfortunately. As wsa pointed out above, I think it's simply a case of the route being longer with the current provider.

Paul

No, the route from us to BBC, as shown in the traceroute above, is 1ms, there is 16ms between the OP's router and us.

Andrew Hearn
GM, AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-18 09:55:02
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
Is the analogue phone noisy all the time? Have you confirmed using a second wired handset? If so report it as a fault to your line rental supplier.
No, it's not noisy all the time. If it was, the fault would be much easier to prove as it would show up on the ISP's tests consistently.
The time when I managed to catch it and listen to the noise, I stayed on and also caught it when it went quiet again. It was like a switch had be pressed.

I reported it to IDNet when I was with them and they stated it was on my side of the demarcation point. That resulted in changing the CPE 3 times, with no change. Changing the modem cable 3 times, with no change. Changing NTE and filter twice, with no change. Re-wiring from when the overhead line attaches to the house, to the NTE socket. Again, no change. I have nothing on my side of the NTE except a 1m modem cable and the CPE. I'm even running to the NTE test socket directly now, and the issue is still apparent sporadically, and therein is the issue with reporting it and capturing it with the ISP tests.

So I'm not going to buy another analogue phone to confirm what the current one I have, and DSLStats is telling me.

Paul

ISP: AAISP
Service: HOME::1 FTTC (TTB) 80/20 (2TB)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL R2
Attenuation: 22.2
Current sync: 54623/ 9366
G.INP: Enabled

Edited by youngsyp (Fri 05-Oct-18 10:07:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-18 09:57:38
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
Yes, but first the OP must make sure that the analogue phone is connected to the test socket with no other equipment connected, first.
Yes, obviously.

Paul

Current sync: 54623/ 9366
G.INP: Enabled
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 05-Oct-18 11:28:53
Print Post

No offence, but it may not be obvious to others.

William Grimsley.
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Mon 08-Oct-18 13:10:52
Print Post

Just to keep this updated:
DLM is continuing to 'train' my line and sync rates are now as per my signature. Interestingly (to me), the DS SNRM target is being 'driven' down by DLM to get the sync rate up so as the very helpful AA support stated, it must be happy with the line conditions. Not wanting to jinx it but I checked DSLStats when I noticed the new line rate and it's bee perfectly flat for hours. Not even a 0.1dB fluctuation.

So it's fair to say I'm yet another (very) happy AA customer.

Paul

Current sync: 62153/ 10188
G.INP: Enabled (DS & US)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Oct-18 13:44:23
Print Post

(Point of information)
DLM is permanently active and potentially re-training on Openreach FTTC smile. As is also the case on BT Wholesale ADSLx.

The "re-training" on both is happening in the true sense of training communications lines. The modems at each end communicating to establish a sustainable sync speed when you start a connection is called training.

It is nothing to do with the mythical 10-day "training period" BT Wholesale persists in confusing people with, which simply detects the lowest connection speed in the first ten days (MSR = Maximum Stable Rate) and recording 80% of that as being the FTR (Fault Threshold Rate).

If your line starts performing well below the norm, but is above the FTR, BTW simply aren't interested. Perhaps they also apply this to FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 08-Oct-18 13:47:53)

Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Mon 08-Oct-18 14:27:02
Print Post

I just realised that I didn't add a salient number to my last post, that of the DS SNRM, which is currently 3.4dB.
My understanding of 6dB being the target SNRM for OR FTTC seems to no be the case at all!

Paul

Current sync: 62153/ 10188
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Oct-18 17:38:48
Print Post

The default on first connection is (or was) 6dB. The OR DLM can over time reduce it in (officially) 1dB steps as low as 3dB if the line is stable. The change is normally retained on a re-sync.

Of course it can fluctuate around the sync-time margin whilst connected. That's what it's for smile.

I have very strong suspicion there is now also a 3.5dB setting in the DLM. I have several times had sync's that appeared to be stable at that level even given more than one forced re-sync at appropriate times.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Wed 10-Oct-18 11:37:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've had another couple of early hour re-syncs since the last post and the line looks to have settled with a 4dB target SNRM now, holding with 0.1dB variations.

I'm going to try the AA provided ZyXel CPE at the weekend, just to see how it performs.

I'm still not convinced my intermittent issue has resolved itself but I have to admit the line is very stable since moving to AA. I'll hold full judgement until the weather starts to get more inclement though.

Paul

Current sync: 59411/ 10211
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to