User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bamster
(regular) Thu 04-Oct-18 13:52:41
Print Post

AA for gaming?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Currently have Sky Fibre around 30mb. My primary useage is FPS games, less concenred with streaming etc. I notice on Sky my latecny is okay, but get packet loss and therefore provides a sub-par service for my needs.

Anyone comment on AA for gaming, is there any difference in the available services (Home1 I beleive) which would or could help provide a better connection to gaming servers? (if you remove the external elements of course).

Sorry I know this is a crystal ball question, but anybody who has switched, noticed a difference?

Thanks

o2 Premium
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Fri 05-Oct-18 08:45:51
Print Post

Re: AA for gaming?

[re: Bamster] [link to this post]

To where do you see your packet loss? If you have an example IP, I can ping it etc, and see what it's like from us.

As for latency and general quality of service; we do monitor each line every second and produce graphs showing latency/loss/traffic - these help tremendously in identifying faults and seeing the quality of a line visually.

Andrew Hearn
GM, AAISP
aa.net.uk support@aa.net.uk 033 33 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-18 09:47:52
Print Post

With regards to Andrews request, if you don't have an IP address for the gaming servers, ping www.bbc.co.uk from your LAN and give that latency figure to Andrew. This is how I benchmark my line.

Paul

ISP: AAISP
Service: HOME::1 FTTC (TTB) 80/20 (2TB)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL R2
Attenuation: 22.2
Current sync: 54623/ 9366
G.INP: Enabled

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-18 10:20:04
Print Post

With AAISP, on the TTB backhaul, I've had the lowest ping of all ISP's I've been with. I'm on FTTC/VDSL2 and get a latency of around 5 ms on both lines (bonded) according to the CQM graphs. If I ping bbc.co.uk it's 5 ms to 6 ms. Packet loss may occur in tiny blips very rarely, but I don't notice any problems with online gaming, streaming or even VoIP. I was on SoHo::1 until recently, I'm now on Home::1. There's no difference in terms of connection quality between them.

Edited by Ixel (Fri 05-Oct-18 10:21:30)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Oct-18 16:51:36
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

I am also with AAISP on TTB and it's the same here - nice quality line
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Mon 08-Oct-18 12:59:26
Print Post

Just to add balance and this isn't a dig at AA, but at the laws of physics!

My ping to the beeb has increased from around 10ms to 16ms since moving to AA. This is simply due to my distance from AA's equipment, when compared to my previous ISP's.
So just be mindful that depending on your location, latency will differ between ISP's as a factor of distance as well as routing.

In my short time with AA, they are by far the best ISP I've used for service and customer service though. And I'll certainly not notice 6ms when I'm gaming!

Paul

ISP: AAISP
Service: HOME::1 FTTC (TTB) 80/20 (2TB)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL R2
Attenuation: 22.2
Current sync: 54623/ 9366
G.INP: Enabled
  Print Thread

Jump to