User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 12:50:10
Print Post

What is the point of the home::1 300GB allowance?

[link to this post]

I really fail to understand the logic of the allowances on the home::1 packages - particularly the 300GB. The basic package has a 200GB allowance. For an extra £10 per month you get 300GB allowance and a further £5 extra per month (total £15 extra) you get 2TB.

If you use the ability to change allowance every month there is a potential for big savings. These are some examples of the of the average extra cost per month for different allowances using this (this image on the Kitz forums shows how it is worked out):

300GB £3.75
450GB £5
800GB £7.50
970GB £10

The one that really stands out is the 300GB where they are asking an extra £10 per month but by flipping to the 2TB one month in four it actually costs an average of £3.75. If they increased the allowance on the £10 extra to say 750GB it would make a lot more sense (although savings could still be made by flipping)!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Oct-18 14:03:40
Print Post

Re: What is the point of the home::1 300GB allowance?

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Are you forgetting this has already been fully discussed? In effect starting with your previous post on the subject and Andrew Hearn's reply to it and "Customer can change their quote tariff whilst in-term - that's OK. either up or down. Contact our sales team for more info...."

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 14:31:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not querying the principle of switching, it's that the pricing seems weird. It was prompted by someone looking for recommendations of a new ISP a good allowance who commented:
AAISP - seems to check all the boxes, though a bit on the expensive side (£60 for 2TB, uploads are not counted of course). I believe it is possible to switch the quota each month and it does not impact reserve quota regardless of upgrading or downgrading.

Upgrading from 200GB to 300GB costs £1 per 10GB. Upgrading from 300GB to 2TB costs 3p per 10GB!

Andrew's reply didn't address the pricing of the 300GB allowance.

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Mon 15-Oct-18 14:33:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Oct-18 16:21:57
Print Post

Oooo! Yes, you're right.

I assume it's a legacy pricing point that hasn't been picked up. IIRC originally the TB versions were TTB based and required the line to be with TTB as well? Accounting for the price difference.

AIUI the 2TB is now available via BTW so acceptable wholesale pricing from them must have been obtained. Also that TTB backhaul is also available to us on a BTW line.

If I'm right, it would therefore seem sensible for some adjustment to the pricing structure to take place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Oct-18 17:52:20
Print Post

Subsidiary question: why is the route to changing the allowance so well hidden?

There's no link from the accounts page and on the control pages it says "Please contact Sales if you would like to change your monthly quota."

For those that haven't found it you start from https://aa.net.uk/ and select Home::1 then Quote/Order Home::1. Select existing account and log in, then Regrade or cease your existing A&A service then Change existing Home::1 VDSL (FTTC) package. You can then select the allowance to apply from the start of your next billing period.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Oct-18 20:05:01
Print Post

I only saw that when I actually went through with a cease request - you are right its so badly done
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-18 14:36:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
Subsidiary question: why is the route to changing the allowance so well hidden?

Any chance of an answer from AAISP to this question?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Oct-18 15:36:06
Print Post

is it? It's about 2 clicks into CHAOS
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-18 20:36:22
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Yes - three clicks if you are logged in. But how do you find the starting point? I would expect 99% of users would expect to find a link to changing their current allowance somewhere in https://control.aa.net.uk/ (or possibly in https://accounts.aa.net.uk/aal/) but I haven't found any link in there - just "Please contact Sales if you would like to change your monthly quota.".

In fact some people only find the place to change their allowance when they come to leave.

Oh wait...
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I only saw that when I actually went through with a cease request - you are right its so badly done

You've changed your tune!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
  Print Thread

Jump to