User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(member) Sat 15-Dec-18 10:06:20
Print Post

Will AAISP be an early adopter of SOGEA

[link to this post]

My understanding is that earlier this week BT/OR confirmed that SOGEA ("Single Order Generic Ethernet Access") will enter the UK ISP pilot phase on 9th January 2019.

The idea of a standalone FTTC “fibre broadband” (VDSL2 or G.fast) line without the voice (phone) service, is very attractive.

But is it much different from what AAISP already offer. What please are the pros & cons ? Hopefully maybe a price reduction?

Merry Christmas.

NJSS

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 12:16:00
Print Post

Re: Will AAISP be an early adopter of SOGEA

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

The con is that you have no landline phone service at all. VoIP still available of course.

The pros will depend on your ISP’s pricing policy. It is thought the bigger ones will compensate for the profit loss from line rental by increasing the broadband plus SOGEA bundle price. Still below the broadband plus normal landline price though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Sat 15-Dec-18 12:32:36
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

Additionally I guess another con would be that you'd have no dial tone, no way to perform a quiet line test (unlike AAISP's current implementation where it produces an automated quiet line test after telling you your circuit ID).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrPepper
(regular) Sun 16-Dec-18 08:41:21
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
Additionally I guess another con would be that you'd have no dial tone, no way to perform a quiet line test (unlike AAISP's current implementation where it produces an automated quiet line test after telling you your circuit ID).

And as we move towards 2025 and the switch off of the PSTN network starts to happen, eventually all lines will not have dial tone.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Dec-18 11:02:39
Print Post

[re: DrPepper] [link to this post]

I can see the switch off of PSTN being just as successful as getting everyone to switch from FM to DAB!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User farnz
(member) Sun 16-Dec-18 11:26:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Specifically from an AAISP perspective, though, that may not matter.

I pay £10/month for a copper line from A&A (no need for a landline), which already has no landline phone service, for a total of £60/month for VDSL2 + copper pair. That service is ripe for SoGEA - just swap out the WLR3 line that they provide and block calls on for a SoGEA FTTC service.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Dec-18 11:33:39
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Strange, isn’t it? smile

I was resistant, and if I still had FTTC wouldn’t want to lose PSTN and move to VOIP on it. But have relied almost totally on mobile for years.

Even nearly all people with no corded phone are without PSTN when mains power goes off. There must be millions by now as relatively few will think to keep a corded phone somewhere they can get to it easily in the dark, even if they can remember where they put it.

Currently still debating killing my landline.

This USA survey is interesting. 50.8% of households there mobile-only at the end of 2017.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Dec-18 12:01:15
Print Post

[re: farnz] [link to this post]

Feasible, but the question the OP asked was ”But is it much different from what AAISP already offer. What please are the pros & cons ? Hopefully maybe a price reduction?”.

I doubt if anyone will see SOGEA lines sold by any provider at under £10pm. Openreach WLR3 currently costs providers £92.18pa. That translates into £9.22pm to us. Call charges on top.

The SOGEA trial appears to be free from OR.

I can’t see OR not charging some line rental when it goes mainstream. The copper line maintenance and the accompanying internal management infrastructure and staff still need to be paid for, and they can’t ditch the exchange kit until there are no PSTN lines in use. Any given SOGEA line can switch back to PSTN at any time while PSTN exists. A new owner moves into the premises.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Dec-18 12:18:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
50.8% of households there mobile-only at the end of 2017.

Not a surprise when majority of US get broadband that does not use a copper pair. (i.e. cable coax).

Cable firms in the US never installed copper pairs, unlike the UK cable firms, so never expected to make money from calls.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Dec-18 12:27:13
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

They don’t provide phone services like VM does here?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to