User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User patpalloon
(regular) Tue 28-Dec-10 18:15:08
Print Post

price increase

[link to this post]

Did anyone notice the price increase from AOL? Even though VAT is going up 2.5% from 17.5 to 20% they are putting up the price of BB from £14.99 to £19.99! The VAT increase would only take it to £17.13.

I'm glad I got my MAC when I did.
Standard User normcall
(member) Tue 28-Dec-10 19:07:06
Print Post

Re: price increase

[re: patpalloon] [link to this post]

They have also upped the price of extracting your money out of your credit card from 0 to 0.99 to 1.99 in just a couple of months.
I think that is the only increase I will experience!!
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Dec-10 19:11:00
Print Post

Keeping prices a round figure means a lot to them

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User patpalloon
(member) Tue 28-Dec-10 19:15:03
Print Post

[re: normcall] [link to this post]

I wouldn't mind paying more for a better service. But the service has gone from good to poor to unusable in the last few years. So it's adios AOL
Standard User Sunnyside
(newbie) Wed 29-Dec-10 09:02:13
Print Post

The increase charge is more then that.
The VAT increase from 17.5% to 20% will increase the £14.99 to £15.31 (not £17.13).
You have increased it by the percentage increase of the percentage rate! (about 14.3%)

I am based in the country (so BT exchange only) and paying £9.99 since AOL was selling it (to CPWH). Additionally they started to charge me £1 for continued Credit Card payment sometime ago (without my knowledge).
Not only is BB charge also going to £19.99 (doubling!) but the CC charge is also doubling to £2 (I understand the CC charge from Visa is ~88p and debit ~36p).
Essentially my BB cost is going from about £132pa to £264pa (that's an extra £132pa).
I guess that will be about £105 extra pure profit, and I can't even get 2Mbps (looks limited to 1.8Mbps even though it will sync between 2.2 and 2.9Mbps).

Looks like Restrictive Practices & Profits rule for 2011!

All that said, I expected the charge to go up after the first year of £10pcm.
I also get Talk Anytime inclusive.

But ultimately, what else could I get around here for £20pcm (direct-debit) calls included?

Sunnyside

Ex-E7even customer.
Moved to AOL Silver (2006-08-09). 2008-09-18: AOL free regrade to ADSLmax (Now I get @1.7Mbps max & about what I used to get in the evenings!).

(member) Wed 29-Dec-10 09:32:19
Print Post

[re: Sunnyside] [link to this post]

you are right - my mistake! I did 20/17.5 when it should have been 120/117.5

I am similar to you in that I live in the country and am on a BT exchange. What speed do you get on AOL - have you tried the speed test on this site?

IN the daytime I can get up to 5-6 MBps quite easily, but evenings and weekends this plummets to 0.2-0.3. It's been getting worse too, it now slows up when the kids get back from school and all the time during the holidays.

Don't forget the line rental you are paying BT - currently just over £12 but I believe this will be going up to £13.25 making the total cost of your broadband £33.24 pcm. Sky, Virgin, Orange can all beat this. In the end I went for Post Office £26.04 pm - but I am giving up 24/7 calls for evenings and weekends. But I can live with that, what I want is a broadband service I can actually use.
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Thu 30-Dec-10 00:16:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by patpalloon:
IN the daytime I can get up to 5-6 MBps quite easily, but evenings and weekends this plummets to 0.2-0.3. It's been getting worse too, it now slows up when the kids get back from school and all the time during the holidays.

This seems to be a common occurence with smaller exchanges. I had communication with someone quite high up at AOL, and it took about 6 months of correspondence before I was told it was probably congestion at AOL's end and there was nothing that could be done.

For the last 6 months, things have been a lot better, but this month has been terrible, presumably due to Christmas and kiddies being off school and playing online games on X Boxes and stuff. I was trying to watch iPlayer earlier but it kept buffering so I gave up - just tried it again and it's still not working correctly thanks to the speed still being low. Roll on the end of the holidays!!!

As for the price increase, let's hope they actually use the extra money they're raking in to improve the infrastructure, rather than just pocketing it.
Standard User nilrem
(committed) Thu 30-Dec-10 10:30:21
Print Post

There is already a thread on this very subject just below this one!
Standard User Malwaremike
(regular) Thu 30-Dec-10 10:52:52
Print Post

These stealth increases have become the norm, and loyal customers their prime target. The VAT increase is a godsend to retailers and service suppliers, giving them an excuse for yet another rise. Some don't even need that excuse, eg BT and insurance companies which renew contracts automatically "for customer convenience and protection" -- hoping we won't notice the automatic increases.

Well done for spotting it. We check every bill and are especially careful with auto-renewals. Get other quotes in advance and move on if existing suppliers don't match them.
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Thu 30-Dec-10 11:09:33
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I agree. A bit off-topic here, but as another example, Vodafone recently increased their pay-as-you-go mobile internet daily cost from 50p to £1, and decreased the monthly charge from £7.50 to £5. So it's obviously now much more economical to purchase a month's usage rather than purchasing it daily, if you're using it occasionally. You also get a month's free when you top up £10 or more on texts and calls.

I only realised all of this, when I used the internet one day and noticed I'd been charged £1 and not 50p. So I checked their website and found that! Of course it's ultimately good, as it's now overall cheaper (per day) if you get the monthly package, but I bet it caught a lot of people were caught out by the change.

Edited by bluesea (Thu 30-Dec-10 11:12:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to