User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User normcall
(member) Fri 04-Feb-11 16:29:47
Print Post

ADSL2+

[link to this post]

I recently 'upgraded' to ADSL2+ which I understand is 'up to 20Mbps'.
ADSL used to provide about 5.7Mbps using the thinkbroadband tester and now I'm getting nearly 8Mbps!!
I've put my attenuation and SN margins into one of the prediction programs and they suggest I should achieve over 16Mbps.
The router says I'm getting just over 11000Mbps.
AOL suggest I should be grateful I get anything at all as it's running at the maximum my line will provide. Even a level 1 'conversation' with a level 2 chap confirmed this.

I am going nuts or do you just have to keep hoping you might get someone who knows what they are talking about.

It was the same when I went from 2Mbps service to 8Mbps service. They apparently just left the setting at 2Mbps. It took a month or two of calls before I chanced upon someone who knew what the problem was and 5 minutes later 8Mbps happened.

Anyone yet found the secret of AOL world?
Standard User normcall
(member) Sat 05-Feb-11 07:00:04
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+

[re: normcall] [link to this post]

Just an update.
I also e-mailed their help line and actually got a reply.
Apparently I have to talk to level 2 who are the only people who can alter the profile.
Since level 1 have supposed to already spoken to level 2 during my last conversation and the e-mail didn't actually suggest how to contact this level 2 apart from the usual method, I'm not holding my breath.
I wonder if they work on Saturdays?
Standard User normcall
(member) Sat 05-Feb-11 10:06:38
Print Post

Another Update.
Level 2 don't ever speak to customers.
My line is at it's maximum.
When I pointed out I had been told this in 2008, apparently I had a BT line (I know, I know!)then and AOL broadband, now I have a AOL line it's not as good so I should press option 5 to cancel my phone/broadband.

I'm really not making this up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 05-Feb-11 10:47:28
Print Post

well the speed went up so they must have changed the settings !

The usual router stats on attenuation, margin, etc would be informative.

Have you done a speed test at 07:00 to check it's not just congestion ? Presumably you're on LLU ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User normcall
(member) Sat 05-Feb-11 18:18:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Line attenuation up = 17.4 and down =32
SN Margin up = 11.6 and down 9.8

I've tried during the day and in the evening and speed tests are remarkably stable.

During my last conversation with level 1, I checked that it took 4 moths to get AOL to change my profile from 2Mbps to 8Mbps by stumbling on an Irish level 2 guy as I was getting so cross with the brick wall
Up till then I had exactly the same script being read to me about turning off, on, change the filter, change the cable in fact little short of actually going away - this time they did suggest just that!

Yes, I'm on LLU. and the DSL line speed is up = 851 and down = 11277. This is the figure they need to change, but level 1 don't/can't, so in that sense, they are right, I'm getting the maximum, only it's their set maximum, not the line maximum, which is what they can't understand.

Edited by normcall (Sat 05-Feb-11 18:22:42)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Feb-11 18:55:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by normcall:
I checked that it took 4 moths to get AOL to change my profile from 2Mbps to 8Mbps
Unlucky! At my suggestion, my daughter phoned AOL to change her package from 2 Meg to 8 Meg, agreed to a new 12 month contract at a considerably lower price and by the time we got back to the PC it was sync'ing at 8 Meg smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Sun 06-Feb-11 14:46:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I know someone who moved into a flat in a city centre about 6 months ago, and was synching with the exchange at about 9Mb and only getting 4Mb speed (at all times of day) on TalkTalk. Before he moved in, the previous tenant showed him his internet speed and it was nearly 20Mb (I'm not sure which ISP the previous tenant was with, but I think it was also TalkTalk).

A few months back, the synch changed to 11Mb and the speed increased to 6Mb. Then a few weeks back, the synch increased a bit further to 12Mb and the speed is now 8Mb. So God knows what's going on, as the previous tenant (with the same line and same ISP) got double that.

Strangely broadband speed checker sites say he should only be able to get a synch speed of 7Mb but clearly that's wrong!

So I'm not sure if AOL do need to change any of your settings, as 11Mb seems a random figure to synch at. If you were synching at 2, 4 or 8Mb then I'd say they needed to change something (as they were the limits on the old AOL packages).

I've always synched at 8Mb but only ever used to get 2Mb - until AOL pressed a button and I now get the full amount for my synch rate. So I'm not even sure the synch rate is linked to AOL's limits.

Edited by bluesea (Sun 06-Feb-11 14:47:46)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Feb-11 23:48:47
Print Post

[re: bluesea] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bluesea:
So I'm not sure if AOL do need to change any of your settings, as 11Mb seems a random figure to synch at.
Nonsense! Your Sync will be any speed between 0 and the (package) cap that your ISP impose on your line, mainly dependent on your line length from the exchange. You'd get 11 Meg if your line were about 2.5 km long and your ISP's cap was at least 12 Meg. AOL will just need to flip a software switch to change your cap from 2 to 8 Meg in the instance we were talking about.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Mon 07-Feb-11 16:59:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I meant that it's unlikely AOL are affecting the synch speed, as otherwise it'd likely be set to a figure like 2, 4 or 8Mb. The fact that it's 11 shows that it's presumably on its own and is dependant on line factors and so on.
Standard User normcall
(member) Mon 07-Feb-11 17:12:48
Print Post

[re: bluesea] [link to this post]

Just ran a thinkbroadband speed test.
It's lower than when I had 8Mbps

07/02/11 17:06 Mon 5862 Kbps 654 Kbps 92.30.17.165 AOL 20M

It used to be:

28/12/10 19:07 Tue 5915 Kbps 364 Kbps 92.8.248.85 AOl 8m

Still, it just shows I'm getting the maximum.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to