User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GregTownsend
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 01:25:31
Print Post

Slow Speeds... Goodbye AOL.

[link to this post]

After months of having dial up speeds in the evening, and their 'tech' support being useless as ever I decided to pack it in. I rang up the cancellation line a few days ago and spoke to some girl (sounded Irish). Told her what was happening and she told me she'd go check with HER tech guys ...

She came back and told me it's a known problem with AOL on the BT network or something and the only fix in place would be to be migrated or moved over to an LLU network or go to their line rental or cancel. There was no date for LLU and no line rental either, if they were I'd still be going anyway. She said she could book a callback from the senior support team there to see if they could resolve the problem. But after months of this problem I couldn't be bothered. I wasn't in any contract so asked for my mac which I should get in the next few days and then I'm off to BT. I googled this problem which brought me here so thought you might want to know.

Good Riddance, AOL.
Mr Townsend.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 04:19:07
Print Post

Re: Slow Speeds... Goodbye AOL.

[re: GregTownsend] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GregTownsend:
After months of having dial up speeds in the evening, and their 'tech' support being useless as ever I decided to pack it in. I rang up the cancellation line a few days ago and spoke to some girl (sounded Irish). Told her what was happening and she told me she'd go check with HER tech guys ...

She came back and told me it's a known problem with AOL on the BT network or something and the only fix in place would be to be migrated or moved over to an LLU network or go to their line rental or cancel. There was no date for LLU and no line rental either, if they were I'd still be going anyway. She said she could book a callback from the senior support team there to see if they could resolve the problem. But after months of this problem I couldn't be bothered. I wasn't in any contract so asked for my mac which I should get in the next few days and then I'm off to BT. I googled this problem which brought me here so thought you might want to know.

Good Riddance, AOL.
Mr Townsend.
Don't blame you leaving them, but going to bt probably won't be much if any of an improvement, as bt's network also gets throttled and suffers congestion at peak times, i would be checking what options you have using UK Broadband Availability Checker before signing up to bt, LLU being a better choice ,o2/be or sky,

Standard User bluesea
(committed) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:02:49
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Basically if you're on a small exchange with no LLU options, then it's likely you're going to suffer slow peak times whatever your ISP.

The government goes on about getting at least 2Mb broadband to smaller areas by a certain date, but they just mean synch speeds. I reckon it'll be years before rural areas actually manage decent speeds at peak times, whilst more and more people in urban areas are happily enjoying speeds of 8Mb or more, even at peak periods.

Just another example of the gap between rural and urban areas.

PS. It makes me laugh when people on DigitalSpy complain about their broadband speed dropping from 16Mb to 12Mb... and they're paying half of what non-LLU users pay...

Edited by bluesea (Wed 16-Feb-11 17:07:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Supatramp
(regular) Sat 05-Mar-11 10:54:27
Print Post

[re: GregTownsend] [link to this post]

Yep, off to BT too!

I know there's probably as many folk here queuing up to slag BT as there are AOL, but at least I'm going to be paying less than half AOL's price for the pleasure!! And supposedly at a faster speed although time will tell on that one.

David
  Print Thread

Jump to