User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Supatramp
(regular) Sat 05-Mar-11 11:08:00
Print Post

BT deals

[link to this post]

I post this simply for the benefit of any on here who are equally fed up with AOL, are now out of contract, and still have a BT line.

Last October, just before BT increased the line rental cost, I paid a year in advance which is an effective £9.49 a month and also took the £4.99 a month 'anytime' calls deal. Having seen a discussion on another forum, I've now done a further deal for £13 a month for their Option 3 bb which includes the £4.99 for calls, so an effective £8.01 a month for bb, in comparison to my latest bill from AOL for £17.30! And I should be getting 5.5 megs against AOL's best of about 3 megs, although time will tell on that one.

If I should have posted this elsewhere then my apologies, but I'm sure a moderator will move it.

PS. Should maybe have added, it took 2 e-mails to AOL to get my MAC code, though it arrived the very next day after the 2nd one!

David

Edited by Supatramp (Sat 05-Mar-11 11:13:28)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Mar-11 14:27:03
Print Post

Re: BT deals

[re: Supatramp] [link to this post]

I don't see that deal that cheap on BT's site.

All I see is :
Broadband Option 3 (Just BB no calls): £25.60 a month for Unlimited Usage
Broadband and Anytime Calls: 3 months free then £16 a month for 10 GB pm Usage

Are you averaging the latter over 18 months?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Supatramp
(regular) Sat 05-Mar-11 14:42:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I don't see that deal that cheap on BT's site.

All I see is :
Broadband Option 3 (Just BB no calls): £25.60 a month for Unlimited Usage
Broadband and Anytime Calls: 3 months free then £16 a month for 10 GB pm Usage

Are you averaging the latter over 18 months?

You're correct, there's nothing on their main site, I tried several times to do a deal with them but was totally unsuccessful.

But there's a thread on Martin Lewis's forum about it, MoneySavingExpert.com. From your BT phone, dial 150 and ask for COT(Customer Options Team) then be prepared to do a wee bit of 'negotiating'. The deals are only available to existing BT customers!

David

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Supatramp
(regular) Fri 11-Mar-11 19:19:52
Print Post

Well this is probably my last post here on the AOL section.

As mentioned previously, it took 2 e-mails to AOL to get my MAC code, but having got it, I then phoned BT and signed up with them on the deal also mentioned previously.

I was told that the Hub would be delivered today, my connection would start today, and there have been several e-mails and texts confirming things. Before going out this morning, I went online without any problem as usual, then returned home late this afternoon to find that there was no internet connection. However, waiting for me was all the bumf from BT including the Hub. Set it up wired, and having gone through the process it connected. Disconnected the LAN cable, and went round one computer after another and they all connected wirelessly first time.

So all in all, a happy bunny! AOL kept my service going, and it switched to BT when BT said it would. I've now got the 10 day stabilisation process to go through and hopefully I won't have any hassle with AOL re recurring payments!

David
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 11:37:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Supatramp:
.... As mentioned previously, it took 2 e-mails to AOL to get my MAC code, but having got it, I then phoned BT and signed up with them.....
crazy crazy
However good the deal with BTr, I just can't keep the images of frying pans and fires from my mind. Whilst BTr may prove to be an improvement over AOL, they are very far from being among the best providers out there. And now that the errant Jane is getting hitched, they'll need to be maximising their income to pay for that walk up the aisle.
Standard User Supatramp
(member) Sun 13-Mar-11 13:55:14
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Supatramp:
However good the deal with BTr, I just can't keep the images of frying pans and fires from my mind. Whilst BTr may prove to be an improvement over AOL, they are very far from being among the best providers out there. And now that the errant Jane is getting hitched, they'll need to be maximising their income to pay for that walk up the aisle.

Having read several forums I'm well aware that there's as much criticism of BT as there is of AOL. And as AOL UK is now owned by TT/CPW that simply compounds things, having suffered at the hands of CPW many moons ago on the mobile phone front.

My main gripe latterly with AOL was the fact that I was paying more than others for the service I was getting, they then increased my price because I was paying via credit card, then increased it again, both without any notification whatsoever, therefore breaking any contract I might have had with them, although by then I was actually out of contract.

So, worst case scenario is that I get the same poor service, but now it's going to cost me less than half what I was paying AOL, for the pleasure. And so far, my Up speed has increased by nearly 50%!

That to my mind is simple and sensible economics!

David
  Print Thread

Jump to