User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User flamieuk
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 11:56:30
Print Post

moving from another isp to AOL

[link to this post]

hi new to all this moving malarky so bear with me.
im just about to get my MAC code from plusnet as their service and billing errors have caused me to want to leave and pay someone else!

i used AOL many years ago and found them reliable in my area, but i notice they have a 10gb use limit in place...

i play games a lot, Rift, Warcraft... my monthly useage is around 20-29gb, do they enforce this? can i pay for a bigger download allowance? what speeds do they cap is it just p2p or all web traffic and gaming data etc...

any info appreciated, as i see it, 10gb for that price isnt that competitive and loyalty will only get them so far.
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Mar-11 12:46:31
Print Post

Re: moving from another isp to AOL

[re: flamieuk] [link to this post]

in my opinion moving to AOL ur asking for trouble.

everyone except for one of my friends who is now trying to get out of their contract who has been on AOL for years has moved. They r very slow, unreliable and support is useless.

Athlon 64 6000+ AM2 X2, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe 570 NForce Mainboard, 4GB DDR 2 XMS2 800Mhz Cosair Ram, 5589.05GB Hard Disk Space, 1GB ATI 4670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 50mb Cable

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/932560190.png
Standard User nilrem
(committed) Thu 24-Mar-11 09:17:18
Print Post

I have been with Aol for over 10 years and personally found the service fine but I agree their tech support is useless.

TBH I don't think there is a great deal of difference between many of the providers especially if like me you live some distance from the exchange and with no LLU in place.

I don't like the way they hiked my monthly fee recently but looking around I have little choice with a BT only exchange.

Not sure about the download limits, personally I have never noticed any cap or throttling.

I think a lot of it is pot luck, but if you are on a long line shifting providers won't magically make your service better, some feel that Aol is fine others hate them and I guess that is true for most providers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zoejoe
(member) Fri 25-Mar-11 18:24:46
Print Post

Hi smile

AOL Hide Their Info Deep... But you can have more than 10 GB per month wink

See Additional Options Here: http://www.aolbroadband.co.uk/products/comparing-pro...

I'm on the 10 + Extra 40 = 50 GB per month.

Zoe

Edited by Zoejoe (Fri 25-Mar-11 18:27:38)

Standard User UnionCastle
(newbie) Wed 30-Mar-11 07:56:02
Print Post

[re: Zoejoe] [link to this post]

I have been with AOL for about 11 years and recently my service was increased from £9.99 to £19!!!!

When I queried this they told me it was the 2.5% vat increase!

I argue and argued to no avail and then they came back with an offer of a free month if I signed a 18 month contract. I refused then they offered me 2 months free, again I refused!

They used to be reliable but speeds are so eratic I don't even bother at night anymore as it is often 0.2 instead of the so called 8.0 they promised me.

Trying to get help is worse than useless and is usually a call centre in India.

I am thinking of changing but my email address is in several publications and I believe it is possible I will lose it.
Standard User Terranova
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 09:11:32
Print Post

[re: UnionCastle] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by UnionCastle:
I have been with AOL for about 11 years and recently my service was increased from £9.99 to £19!!!!

When I queried this they told me it was the 2.5% vat increase!

I argue and argued to no avail and then they came back with an offer of a free month if I signed a 18 month contract. I refused then they offered me 2 months free, again I refused!

They used to be reliable but speeds are so eratic I don't even bother at night anymore as it is often 0.2 instead of the so called 8.0 they promised me.

Trying to get help is worse than useless and is usually a call centre in India.

I am thinking of changing but my email address is in several publications and I believe it is possible I will lose it.

Aol's mail service & client is seperate from their broadband Service, i still have access to my old AOL address even though i haven't been a aol member for nearly 8 years, it's free to use as well.
Standard User normcall
(member) Wed 30-Mar-11 16:56:47
Print Post

I suspect you are are the BT wholesale service. They altered the pricing last year on this with their own service staying much the same price. I'm still paying 9.99, mind you, plus some fee to take the money every month which it looks like is being investigated, so may change. Oh look, another pig!
Standard User blueacid
(member) Fri 01-Apr-11 21:39:05
Print Post

Well head to a domain registrar NOW and buy yourself a domain name with email accounts.

Start moving over, unless they're books rather than current magazines tongue

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 11:05:54
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

No need! You can keep your AOL mailbox for free. It is separate from BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User patpalloon
(member) Mon 04-Apr-11 13:29:04
Print Post

[re: JimKirk363] [link to this post]

don't do it. AOL are part of Talk Talk and their service is terrible. I was with AOL for 5 years but was getting throttled to <0.3 MBps at peak times making it unusable. And Talk Talk customer services are a complete nightmare. It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

I've been with Post Office since January and its' been great. I get 6 Mbps consistently now and have had no problems.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to