User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User macp
(newbie) Wed 22-Jun-11 21:50:34
Print Post

AOL router help

[link to this post]

After finally getting very annoyed with the ridiculously slow speeds from AOL I wrestled my MAC code from them and I am switching to Xilo.Having been given the Thomson Speedtouch 585 wireless router with my AOL package 3yrs ago will I have any problems using this with my new ISP or will I have to purchase a new router ?
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jun-11 01:32:09
Print Post

Re: AOL router help

[re: macp] [link to this post]

I think this is a duplicate of what was posted to another forum, so I'll paste the same reply..

You should be able to press and hold the button at the back, marked reset for 10~ or so seconds. The power light should change colour or flash rapidly to inform once reset.

When you next try and view a website, it should ask you to start the web config wizard. During this, it'll ask for your username and password that we provided you via email as well as setting a new admin password.

This assumes the router isn't locked to AOL. If that is the case, you'll need to buy a new one.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User macp
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-11 21:32:52
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks Matt

Now all I have to worry about is inputting the new settings correctly

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daveygamer
(learned) Thu 14-Jul-11 19:50:53
Print Post

[re: macp] [link to this post]

I used to have the same model and there was a known issue with them, when you tried to open ports above 10,000 it would close them. If you play games online this meant you got cut off from servers shortly after joining. There was one workaround by opening every port between 1000 - 65535, of course that wasn't advisable but it did work, but opening individual ports above 10k didn't. Once I relised what the issue was I got a quality router and dumped that other pile of cack.
  Print Thread

Jump to