User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User macp
(newbie) Sat 25-Jun-11 09:06:08
Print Post

Should I report AOL

[link to this post]

Having been with AOL for over 10yrs (what a mug) I have changed my ISP and experiencing super fast speeds the like of which I have not seen with AOL.I had just assumed what I was getting was normal.

Although so pleased to be rid of AOL I cant help feeling aggrieved that they have been taking my money for all that time and delivering such an awful service.I wondered if it was worth making a complaint to OFCOM or ISPA ?
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 25-Jun-11 09:39:12
Print Post

Re: Should I report AOL

[re: macp] [link to this post]

The time to complain was when you were still a customer. You cant take your complaint to a 3rd party complaints service until you have been through the ISP's own complaint handling process, and I dont believe OFCOM or ISPA deal with individual complaints. Think you have missed your chance .
Standard User macp
(newbie) Sat 25-Jun-11 10:11:29
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I dont disagree with that I dont want anything from them I have learned my lesson.I assume OFCOM & other watchdogs know of their practices anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-11 11:49:30
Print Post

Is it any different than banks leaving you on 0.1 % interest savings a/c's or fuel cos. bringing out cheaper tariffs w/out telling you?

You were given what you contracted for.

The onus is on the customer to find his best deal at all times. Never assume!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User normcall
(member) Sat 25-Jun-11 16:02:33
Print Post

The problem is that you don't know what someone else can provide on the same line, without actually leaving your current ISP.
I'm on AOL platinum (you know, up to 20m), but I get about 2M more than I was using the 8M service. There again, same money and I'm sure I could get higher speeds elsewhere (according to the various 'predictions for my 31db/6db data). AOL naturally say I cannot get more,, so what do you do?
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jun-11 16:35:24
Print Post

it would be hard to prove if it was AOL at fault.

It could have been a line fault that wasnt detected until checks were done during cross over between ISP.

Athlon 64 6000+ AM2 X2, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe 570 NForce Mainboard, 4GB DDR 2 XMS2 800Mhz Cosair Ram, 6054.81GB Hard Disk Space, 1GB ATI 4670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 50mb Cable

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/932560190.png
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jun-11 18:20:11
Print Post

[re: normcall] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by normcall:
The problem is that you don't know what someone else can provide on the same line, without actually leaving your current ISP.
I'm on AOL platinum (you know, up to 20m), but I get about 2M more than I was using the 8M service. There again, same money and I'm sure I could get higher speeds elsewhere (according to the various 'predictions for my 31db/6db data). AOL naturally say I cannot get more,, so what do you do?
Well if i were in that same situation i would be switching isp, unless they got it sorted out, they quite possibly have capped your sync at 2mbits , couple that with their overseas call center and dire support , it should be a no brainer , choosing a isp that offers bb via their own kit LLU , would be a better move, (although you may be on opal llu aka talktalk already) if so no surprises their either regarding the speed

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-11 23:21:19
Print Post

You can calculate an estimate of what you should get from any ISP from your existing router stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User normcall
(member) Sun 26-Jun-11 18:14:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The calculation comes out at nearly double I actually get - I get about 8m and the calculations come at around 14/15M.

Downstream Upstream
Data Rate (kbps) 13662 1020
Noise Margin (dB) 5.5 10.7
Attenuation (dB) 31.1 16.8
Output power(dbm) 20.4 12.5
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 26-Jun-11 18:28:26
Print Post

The calculation comes out at nearly double I actually get - I get about 8m and the calculations come at around 14/15M.

Downstream Upstream
Data Rate (kbps) 13662 1020
Noise Margin (dB) 5.5 10.7
Attenuation (dB) 31.1 16.8
Output power(dbm) 20.4 12.5
You may get 8M but you're connected at 13.662M which is almost bang on the 14M estimate

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to