User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AnDi86
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-11 21:25:14
Print Post

Moving from AOL to Talk Talk

[link to this post]

I recently phoned the AOL help line and got connected to what was mentioned several times a Talk Talk helpline. I was inquiring how much it would be to cancel my contract as I wish to move to BT to get Fibre Optic, the lady on the phone looked at my account and told me how much it would cost to cancel, she then informed me I could get fibre optic through Talk Talk, she gave me some details about the price and I told her to email me them and I would have a look!

I decided that I would then go for this package. I called up again and explained what had been said the last time in the call and this lady on the phone then said it couldn't be done. As the broadband was with AOL and I couldn't move to Talk Talk, surely is my money not going to the same company?

I'm interested to know which story is correct, has anyone else had experience in moving from AOL to Talk Talk?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-11 21:58:36
Print Post

Re: Moving from AOL to Talk Talk

[re: AnDi86] [link to this post]

AOL BB's parent co. is TT but AOL BB operates its network separately from TT, probably due to conditions imposed when AOL UK (part of AOL Inc) sold its UK BB to TT.

AOL BB does not offer FTTC, tho' I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to migrate to TT. Are you still within your min. contract period with AOL BB? Maybe that's why she said it couldn't be done (without incurring cancellation fees).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ianXX
(experienced) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:15:53
Print Post

[re: AnDi86] [link to this post]

I transferred from AOL to TalkTalk while still in the minimum contract period with AOL.

AOL charged me a cancellation fee.

After a lot of fuss, I eventually got the cancellation fee refunded, but I don't recommend anyone else to try this.

There were extenuating circumstances in my case - AOL Support had recommended me to transfer and AOL Support arranged the transfer - and I had the times and dates and rough transcripts of these conversations. But it still didn't avoid the initial cancellation fee.

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User crownos
(committed) Wed 07-Dec-11 21:06:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
AOL BB's parent co. is TT but AOL BB operates its network separately from TT, probably due to conditions imposed when AOL UK (part of AOL Inc) sold its UK BB to TT.

TT and AOL both physically use the same network/systems and have done for a number of years, AOL not using fibre is nothing to do with AOL UK sale back in 2006.

AOL UK only operate content (what you see on aol.co.uk) and have zero control over the "Broadband" products TT sells under any of its brands incl AOL Broadband Ltd.

As for why TT are not offering fibre to AOL customers....well to be honest how many new products have you seen under the AOL Broadband brand compared to the TalkTalk brand, imho its down to lack of interest in the brand.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Dec-11 23:35:51
Print Post

[re: crownos] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by crownos:
TT and AOL both physically use the same network/systems
Good to have that confirmed! There is one important difference in the way they handle it: AOL offers Partial LLU (SMPF) on some of its packages; TT doesn't.

As well as content, AOL.co.uk does provide the User IDs and mailboxes required for BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 07-Dec-11 23:38:59)

Standard User AnDi86
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-11 22:45:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well I just requested my MAC from AOL and will just pay the cancellation fee to get away from them. BT Infinity here I come!
  Print Thread

Jump to