User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 10:33:55
Print Post

Letter from AOL

[link to this post]

I've received a letter from AOL, which says "with new equipment installed in your local exchange, your service will be transferred and running on the very latest technology, bringing you faster broadband speeds and better package prices". Apparently my line will be switched on 23rd January 2012, after a short downtime of 20 minutes.

Does this mean my exchange (which is a small one, only serving 2,500 people) is finally getting LLU? I just checked the "SamKnows" website and it says LLU is not due in my exchange, but it does say under the "LLU operator presence" for Talktalk/CPW this: "RFS date set : 19/12/2011".

I've always suffered from slow speeds in the evenings (because of not having LLU in my exchange). I hope this solves it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jan-12 23:20:31
Print Post

Re: Letter from AOL

[re: bluesea] [link to this post]

TalkTalk own AOL so they can piggy back on that LLU network.

Only time will tell if they do a better job at peak times

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Sun 22-Jan-12 13:52:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, I guess time will tell!

I currently synch at 8,128 and have a noise margin of about 12/13dB. I read that a high noise margin means interference on the line and a lower speed. However, I also read that if you synch at 8,128 and have a high NM, then it means your line is very good and there's extra NM to spare.

Do you reckon the TT profiling system will be clever enough to realise what's going on, or will it see I currently have a high NM and put me on a high profile as a result? I'm hoping it'll see what's happening and put me on a low target to ensure I get high speeds. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bluesea
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 13:11:20
Print Post

Right, I was switched this morning and have a synch speed of just over 18Mb, but my actual download speed is about 9Mb.

I'm not too bothered (the main thing is that hopefully the slow evening speeds will be solved) but I was just curious as to whether it's because I'm on an old AOL package?

I checked the TalkTalk site and it seems to get up to 24Mb, you need to have a turbo boost thing enabled, which seems to only apply to TT customers on newer packages. The letter I had from AOL said I should get up to 24Mb, but it was a generic letter and may not apply to me as I'm on an old package...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jan-12 14:20:14
Print Post

If you are syncing at 18 Meg then you are not being capped to your legacy 8 Meg package. Low throughput will be due to congestion in the network.

All TT packages are "up to 24 Meg"; only diff is usage allowances. There is no longer Turbo Boosts. Where did you see that on TT site?

Post your router stats?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 14:58:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I read about the turbo boost on this forum (I think), and read about the 24Mb speeds on the TalkTalk website.

I also read on another forum that you can synch at up to 24Mb (e.g. 18Mb like I am) but there can still be a cap that stops the actual download speeds being higher than about 8Mb, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

Here are my router stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18752 kbps 910 kbps
Line Attenuation 15 db 3 db
Noise Margin 12 db 13 db
DownStream Connection Speed 18752 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 910 kbps

My noise margin is quite high, but I used to synch at 8,128 kbps with it at that noise margin - apparently it's because there's extra noise margin to spare...

Just spotted this on the TalkTalk forums, it sounds like a similar issue to mine: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php...

It's so difficult to know where the differences are between AOL and TT these days!

Edited by bluesea (Mon 23-Jan-12 15:00:24)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jan-12 17:01:50
Print Post

I think the Turbo Boost was for existing 8 Meg customers to upgrade when TT made all their packages for new customers 24 Meg, sometime last year.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 17:06:21
Print Post

I reckon that AOL customers (like myself) aren't eligible for it, then. The letter I had from AOL did mention 24 Mb speeds, but I suspect that's if I got into a new contract with them for phone and broadband (which is the only way to get 24Mb with AOL, so it seems).

Just checked and speed is holding out at 8 - 9 Mb... so far, so good, as it normally went down to about 1 - 1.5Mb at this time of day on non-LLU!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jan-12 17:08:11
Print Post

Re: Letter from AOL - EDITED

In reply to a post by bluesea:
It's so difficult to know where the differences are between AOL and TT these days!
Unlike TT, you don't have to have your phone line with AOL on their Broadband Only & Broadband + Calls packages, i.e. they are Partial LLU (SMPF). Do you?

EDIT: This makes it much easier and quicker to move to another ISP in future should you so wish.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 23-Jan-12 17:12:50)

Standard User bluesea
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 17:16:43
Print Post

Re: Letter from AOL - EDITED

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by bluesea:
Unlike TT, you don't have to have your phone line with AOL on their Broadband Only & Broadband + Calls packages, i.e. they are Partial LLU (SMPF). Do you?

I don't think so, but I've been with AOL since the days of dial-up and got broadband since 2004. Never had my phone with them and haven't been forced to now, so I guess it is partial LLU!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to